R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-04-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Overheating Motor

I have been running a Trinity D3, which I bought 7 years ago. I have always used the cheepy batteries that are something like 1100 maH. Recently I bought batteries that are 3300 maH and my motor is overheating. This was a switch from NiCad to NiMH. My run time is now about double and the NiMH runs at peak speed nearly the entire time, whereas the NiCads would run at peak speed for half the time and then trail off. With the new batteries, my motor gets so hot that I can't even touch it. I hadn't changed my brushes for the last 7 years and now the heat that has been generated chews up the brushes after a couple batteries. I've gone through 4 pares of brushes and I'm really frustrated. Would a new motor be designed to handle the heat generated from the longer run times of the new batteries that are on the market today? Are the brushes I'm using too low of quality for such long of run times? -I'm using the 3-4 dollar ones that Hobby People sells. And no I don't want to go brushless. Please advise, thank you.
rcdude8937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

This is my opinion and that is about it. I think the comm is worn out and needs some lathe time. Try to get a harder compound brush and oil the bearings or put new ones in. The magnets might be getting a little tired, also you might be able to find a heat sink for the motor to try and keep it a little cooler. However after this is all said and done you will probally come out cheaper just picking up another motor.
Losi XXXT and Losi XX4 also Tamiya Wild willy.
coal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:35 PM   #3
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You might also need to check your gearing...A Slight gearing change can change to heat in a motor a lot
MHOR Raceway
Losi XXX-T
rccrazyindenver is offline   Reply With Quote