Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
1/10th Off-Road Set-up Station >

1/10th Off-Road Set-up Station

1/10th Off-Road Set-up Station

Old 07-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/10th Off-Road Set-up Station

Does anybody make a set-up station for 1/10th off-road trucks and buggies?
Old 07-28-2007, 06:05 AM
Tech Adept

TTT
Old 07-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Not sure, but it would be a waste of money IMO. All you really need is a digital guage to make sure turnbuckles and shock shafts are symmetrical. Tweaking on an off-road car is much less noticeable than on-road because of the dynamic nature of the surface. There are times where your car may act goofy, but that is usually due to a cracked/broken part and not a few MM tweak on an arm.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Ebay

DO a search on ebay for 1:10 Setup buggy
Old 07-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K_King
Not sure, but it would be a waste of money IMO. All you really need is a digital guage to make sure turnbuckles and shock shafts are symmetrical. Tweaking on an off-road car is much less noticeable than on-road because of the dynamic nature of the surface. There are times where your car may act goofy, but that is usually due to a cracked/broken part and not a few MM tweak on an arm.
I have a digital gauge, and have tried to do what you say, but there is so much slop in every thing, especially the wheels, that it is hard to tell if it is right or not .

What I did is bought a extra Integy TC setup station , and drilled the holes out to fit the 1/10 off road axles . I then just use it on my TC set up board .

At least that way you are eliminating the wheel slop issue, and you can see that every thing looks the same on each side .

RC stuff for sale . http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=166731
Old 07-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by *Chrominator*
I have a digital gauge, and have tried to do what you say, but there is so much slop in every thing, especially the wheels, that it is hard to tell if it is right or not .

What I did is bought a extra Integy TC setup station , and drilled the holes out to fit the 1/10 off road axles . I then just use it on my TC set up board .

At least that way you are eliminating the wheel slop issue, and you can see that every thing looks the same on each side .
If you have that much slop theres a problem. There would have to be a great deal in order for it to make a differece and, if youre running 8th scale as your avatar suggests, I would think that it would be less of a concern then. Sounds like you just needed to shim, or make sure it was together correctly. The only slop I seem to get in my CR is the rack screws will come out a bit sometimes and give me a lot of slop. That or the hingepin holes get a bit bigger after use and get some side to side. Other than that nothing major that would make me want to use a setup station such as on-road.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

set up stations work in offroad.
Most don't feel the need. But some do.

Look at it this way....
Offroad buggy wheels can out more than 2 degrees when they are new out of the package. So how can you acurately set -2 degrees camber if the wheels arenot perfectly true??
Old 07-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bdegan

Look at it this way....
Offroad buggy wheels can out more than 2 degrees when they are new out of the package. So how can you acurately set -2 degrees camber if the wheels arenot perfectly true??
Use a camber gauge? I dont see how that has anything to do with a tweak station. If the wheel is out 2 degrees, send it in for a new one, the only thing you can do to fix it is shorten or lengthen the links. Nothing a station does over a simple gauge.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bdegan

Look at it this way....
Offroad buggy wheels can out more than 2 degrees when they are new out of the package. So how can you accurately set -2 degrees camber if the wheels aren't perfectly true??
Thats what I'm saying , it just take the wheel slop out of the equation .

Use a camber gauge? I don't see how that has anything to do with a tweak station. If the wheel is out 2 degrees, send it in for a new one, the only thing you can do to fix it is shorten or lengthen the links. Nothing a station does over a simple gauge.
It's the bearings and the wheels, even when there brand new, theres a ton of slop in them.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Tons? That sounds like a problem. I mean slop will be normal for any off-road car, thats just the way it is. I guess I dont see where a setup station will help fix slop, especially if its easily viewable.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Tons? That sounds like a problem. I mean slop will be normal for any off-road car, thats just the way it is. I guess I don't see where a setup station will help fix slop, especially if its easily viewable.
All I can say is, I have found it hard to set the camber with a gauge, when one minute the wheels are leaning one way and the next time there leaning the other way . I've adjusted it and then run a couple of laps with out hitting anything or crashing , come back and checked it and it would look like it is leaning the other way.

And then all you have to do Is grab the wheel and tire, and rock it back and forth, and you can see that it is going from a couple of degrees positive to negative.

With the set up station you can see that the gauge and the axle are leaning the same direction.

All I'm saying is , it's a little more accurate with the wheels off than on , and that can't hurt or be bad.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

The axle doesnt matter though. It all depends on what is touching the ground, and thats the tire. Like you said, if you set your axle to be -2, and your tire is off another 1 deg, then it doesnt matter what you set your axle to at that point because you will still have to adjust it one way or another to get the proper camber.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

The axle doesn't matter though. It all depends on what is touching the ground, and thats the tire. Like you said, if you set your axle to be -2, and your tire is off another 1 deg, then it doesn't matter what you set your axle to at that point because you will still have to adjust it one way or another to get the proper camber.
I don't know how else to explain it , I give up your right , don't use one .
Old 07-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I've found anything more than a pop can on the table is overkill.

Run the right tires for the track, give the camber a good eyeball and it's time to go have fun.

That said I do like the rpm camber and toe gauge. And sometimes I still
anal-ize my shocks with calipers. But wheel time will do more for your driving than any setup station ever will for the dirt cars.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by *Chrominator*
All I can say is, I have found it hard to set the camber with a gauge, when one minute the wheels are leaning one way and the next time there leaning the other way . I've adjusted it and then run a couple of laps with out hitting anything or crashing , come back and checked it and it would look like it is leaning the other way.

And then all you have to do Is grab the wheel and tire, and rock it back and forth, and you can see that it is going from a couple of degrees positive to negative.

With the set up station you can see that the gauge and the axle are leaning the same direction.

All I'm saying is , it's a little more accurate with the wheels off than on , and that can't hurt or be bad.

I know exactly what you mean.
I set my camber with a camber gauge (eyeing the c-hubs) with the wheels off, too. Then use a vernier caliper to double check the camber link's length. I find it is more accurate this way than using a camber gauge on the wheels.

I had been thinking about finding a 1/10th off-road set-up station, too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.