R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-25-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to sloshedmr_bones Send a message via Yahoo to sloshedmr_bones
Default Battery charger

I have done some reading and found nothing on this so i am asking it now. I am using a piranha peak digital charger and have been for a while. I have noticed while the pack is charging the charger gets fairly hot and when its done the battery and charger are both hot is this normal? Additionally the battery I am using is a venom 3000mah and i have been curious about the other features of my charger and i read the manual but tells me nothing. It has a trickle charge on it what exactly is that? It charges my 3000 only up to 2700 mah why is that? My settings when i charge it are 2.5 amps with a 3ma/c with 100mv trickle. Is it something that im doing or is it just the battery pack itself? I am still learning this electric stuff so i am sure thats part of it. The connections to the battery are fine they dont pull out easy, the battery isnt brand new but its fairly new like 6 to 8 months. I want to be able to charge my battery to its full capacity. I want to understand the charge amps, ma/c, mv trickle charge. I know what the abbreviations mean now how do i use them? Any information would be a great help. Thanx
sloshedmr_bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

it is fairlly normal for a charger and battery to get quite warm, as far as not charging up to the full capacity either there is residual charger left over from the run, and only 2700 of the 3000 need to be put back in. it is also possible that the battery is just warn out.
raceGEEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you want a GOOD solid charge, take your car out and run it untill there's no more power left, then go insde and set it on a block or something and run it again, untill the tires stop turning in the air. Let the Batt. sit for about 30min ( to cool down) and then charge at 4AMPS. If you can't charge at 4 charge at the highest posible ( my firend has the same charger and for some reason at his house it wont go over 3.5amps, and on a 12V battery it'll charge at 5amps) If you want you can charger at a higher setting 4.5, or even 5amps. It's totally safe. Also I would set my peak detection to 4mv, or 5mv per cell, if you set it to low your charger will false peak and you wont get a full charge. If you set it to high like 7-8mv per cell, you'll probably kill your battery by OVER charging it.

OK understanding your stuff here we go.

First thing you need to learn about is whats "C" is. Every is always talking about "C" Your battery is a 3000Mah (Milli Amp Hours) which means that if your battery has a load of 3amps(or 3000milliamps) per hour put on it it would last an hour. (RC Cars run about 20amps with bursts up to 35) So your "C" for your battery would be 3amps=1C, if it was a 3500mah it would be 3.5amps= 1C, if it was a 3800mah it would be 3.8amps = 1C. For Nmih batts It's normally pretty safe to charge at 1C to 1.5C (got this info from other people on here) Most Lipos only like to be charged at 1C and no more I.E. a 8000mah Lipo would be able to charge at 8amps safely!

Mv/C means "milli volts per cell" and has to do with peak detction. Your charger will go over X milli volts per cell after it sees a PEAK. Set it to low and your chrager will "false peak" and you wont get a full charge set it to high you fry your battery.

A trickle charge is a very low current some times adjustable up to 1000mv(1amp) that just "trickles" current into the battery. It's normally there to slowly pump power into a pack, so if your not ready to use it RIGHT away it will still have a fresh charge. With a fresh chrage right off the charger you get the most punch & power. If you charge it and let it sit(like 1 day) your not going to have a lot of punch.

Hope that clears some things up, and if a mis-gave info someone please tell me!

~ Jason Kennedy ~
~ Sweep Racing Tires ~
~ TQ Wire~Wire~
pyro18t is offline   Reply With Quote