Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Orion Revolution Hung Brushes >

Orion Revolution Hung Brushes

Orion Revolution Hung Brushes

Old 07-31-2007, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Orion Revolution Hung Brushes

Hey guys, I have an Orion Revolution 12 x 2 that I run in my B4 and sometimes in my T4. I haven't run it much and recently just cut the comm for the first time and then I installed new brushes. Ever since I got the motor and other Orion Revolutions, it seems I always get a hung brush on the negative side. I tear it apart, springs and all, clean the brush hoods with motor spray and install the new brushes. The motor works great, for while, but inevitably, I get a hung brush on the negative side. It drives me nuts....any ideas????
Old 07-31-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default D6

D4man.....sent you a PM
Old 07-31-2007, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Sent you a PM back...hope that helps?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

For the Revolution motors, this would usually occur for me and others in a dusty condition.

What we found that really helped was to take some cotton after having the motor freshly cleaned and pack some into the brush hood, sort of like an air filter. Also put a few drops of tribo to act kind of like filter oil.

This REALLY HELPS. One big thing also to do is after each heat, spray the motor hoods out.

Unfortunately, this motor type is more prone to these problems than others I have used. Especially in 4wd, it was really bad.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:34 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Make sure when you clean out the Brush hoods (when changing brushes) to remove the spring, and use a Q-Tip or pipe cleaner. Motor spray alone won't do all the work. Also, like Cain said put something in the hood, just the negative side will do. I like to use 1/2 of a "Foam Thing", you know the Ball Stud/Cup dust shields. They work great!
Old 07-31-2007, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cain
What we found that really helped was to take some cotton after having the motor freshly cleaned and pack some into the brush hood, sort of like an air filter. Also put a few drops of tribo to act kind of like filter oil.

Do you mean that I should stuff the brush hood with a q tip end after the brushes/springs are in there?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:43 AM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by d4man
Do you mean that I should stuff the brush hood with a q tip end after the brushes/springs are in there?
No, when everything is out of the hood, soak an end of the Q-Tip, then work it into the hood from the bottom of the endbell, and twist it, move it in and out, to clean out the hood. Then after built, put in the "Foam Thing" and give it a couple drops of oil. This works well.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Will do, I have alot of those foamy white things....Thanks!!!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

Hey, my 12 and 14 rev's did the same. I found that there was a tiny burr on the inside lip of the brush tube, like after you cut a pipe with a hack saw. If you clean out the tube then slide the brush in, if it binds or is tight pull out the brush and look for scratches on it. I had too file both bottoms(closest to comm) just slightly to remove the sharp edge. No more hanging brushes. I use cotton for keeping the dirt out, just don't pack it so the brushes can't move.. I like the foamy idea with some oil. Dan.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, I looked for burrs and sprayed the heck outta that brush hood. I even made sure the new brushes moved freely in the brush hood. I thought that maybe the comm slightly nicked the brush hood and ovaled it but it didnt...
Old 07-31-2007, 11:52 AM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by danimal1965
Hey, my 12 and 14 rev's did the same. I found that there was a tiny burr on the inside lip of the brush tube, like after you cut a pipe with a hack saw. If you clean out the tube then slide the brush in, if it binds or is tight pull out the brush and look for scratches on it. I had too file both bottoms(closest to comm) just slightly to remove the sharp edge. No more hanging brushes. I use cotton for keeping the dirt out, just don't pack it so the brushes can't move.. I like the foamy idea with some oil. Dan.
danimal, That burr only occurs with a large impact. The comm slides up and the welds with hit the bottom of the brush tubes and put a really small bend in them. I have been running V2 Motors for over 2 years, and this has only happened twice, so pretty rare..