Wiki Posts
Search

NO GRASS TRACK IN USA ????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default NO GRASS TRACK IN USA ????????

With nitro so popular in the states and always rutting up the dirt tracks (Sorry Nitro Guys but it's true) why are there no grass tracks in the USA for electric only. The over-seas racers seem to always be a step ahead of us. Grass track are so much easier to up-keep over rutted up dirt tracks. (No watering down in between heats, No re-pairing rutts, No fixing jumps after a big rain strom). All you really need is fire hose and some wood jumps with carpet on top. Just think you'll get the speed and tracktion of touring cars and the fun of catching air of jumps. This sound very easy to build for someone that owns a track and would also bring in more $$$ and new racers. Electric buggy is still going strong over-seas and this is probaly why.

LMK why you think we don't have any or more grass off road tracks in the USA for electric off-road.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'd rather buy a 1/8 nitro than race on a grass track with wood jumps. Every time I see pictures or a video of a grass track overseas, I always think "I bet there's some good dirt underneath that grass". Seriously though, I think it's just a case of different strokes for different folks. I have no interest in playing tennis and racing offroad RC's on grass and I'm sure there are Europeans who have no interest in playing tennis on concrete and racing offroad RC's on dirt.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I was thinking about that after 1) I saw a video of the X6 review at Gaz-On and 2) I saw all the track watering that had to occur last weekend. The track in the video had real dirt&grass jumps. I was thinking I could just lay out the standard 4" drainage pipe in the yard and try it out.

Even a mix of dirt track and grass track could reduce the watering requirement by some amount.

How is tire wear in the grass?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

The Farm II Raceway has mainly dirt, but has a part that has grass, a part that has concrete and even a sand pit...truely a different track that will be the site of the 2008 IFMAR Worlds and the 2007 ROAR Gas Truck Nats!

This picture was from March of this year after a rain storm and the last race there incorporated the back part of the track that had about 60' to 70' of grass area that very quickly wore down with all the gas 1/8th scales and truggies that race there!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:02 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I haven't seen an Grass track with more than 3 jumps.... and that simply won't do!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I am no sure they are one step ahead of us as they have ran on grass for as long as I have been in racing and I started this in the 80's. It's had for them to keep good dirt tracks because of all the rain. Thats why you see a lot of their jumps with astro turff over them. If you look at picures from their events it is almost always wet.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Tech Addict

never mind please delete
Old 07-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesnMeyer
I am no sure they are one step ahead of us as they have ran on grass for as long as I have been in racing and I started this in the 80's. It's had for them to keep good dirt tracks because of all the rain. Thats why you see a lot of their jumps with astro turff over them. If you look at picures from their events it is almost always wet.
hes hit it right on the nose, my gramother/her family live all over europe,mostly england, an she said it rains alot,and from friend over there said they have tryed clay awhile back and 3-4 trime a mouth they would have too redo evey jump an berms they would keep washing out, that said they do have clay tracks there just indoors, for the most part they grew up in grass racing also nitro is way more popular,cus they race in rain too..... NOW THATS SOMETHING WE NEVER DO HERE IN THE STATES.....

we have better weither, an thats why eeryone comes to america for dirtbike racing/mx-sx/ and rc racing

and since we growup around nice tracks we have the best sx-mx racers, bubba, rickey, and M.C. mcgrath...the list keeps going...

now as fore rc cars 80% americans dominate, but in 1/8th scale these some good eroupe racers since they grewup racing 1/8th scale it only naturale.... but the past 3-5 years 1/8th scale really blew up here, i use to see 8-20 people race 1/8th at the track, now 40-100 and when big event come no less then 300people

even i turned to 1/8th scale(THE DARK SIDE)LOL
still have my T3 for 1/10th scale...
Old 07-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Craps
The Farm II Raceway has mainly dirt, but has a part that has grass, a part that has concrete and even a sand pit...truely a different track that will be the site of the 2008 IFMAR Worlds and the 2007 ROAR Gas Truck Nats!

This picture was from March of this year after a rain storm and the last race there incorporated the back part of the track that had about 60' to 70' of grass area that very quickly wore down with all the gas 1/8th scales and truggies that race there!

Very nice and groomed track........
Old 07-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JamesnMeyer
Your right never thought of it like that..........

I'm just frustrated with all of the tracks being blown out and having to turn marshall for 30 min mains. I guess electric will just be swept under the rug in the next couple of years in Florida by nitro. The only way to race on a groomed track is to run @ the electric state races.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RED-LINE M03
Your right never thought of it like that..........

I'm just frustrated with all of the tracks being blown out and having to turn marshall for 30 min mains. I guess electric will just be swept under the rug in the next couple of years in Florida by nitro. The only way to race on a groomed track is to run @ the electric state races.
Get li-pos and brushless to race in 20 to 30 minute races too! I love it!
Old 07-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Not so sure about the grass tracks ive seen in a soccer field, they are flat with little jumps But some of the green turf tracks are very technical and FAST. Id run that if we had one.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I like running on grass. I don't see the problem with 1/10 electric. Just no 1/8 scales.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any pics of these grass tracks? Is the grass cut short or long? Seems that a cut like a golf course green would work best, maybe?
Old 07-04-2007, 02:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

looks like a lot of fun Most of there tracks are part grass, part dirt, some wood, and turff. The grass that is there is in patches and jmps ares till covered with turff. There is a track in the UK were they tried to replicate an American track as far as jumps and other tech parts go. The track is all brown but no dirt.

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/telfo...ord2wd091.html

Last edited by JamesnMeyer; 07-27-2008 at 09:24 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.