R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Maxxum FF with some questions.

Hello everyone. On a whim, I stopped by a local hobby store to look around and ended up staying and watching some indoor electric/gas rc buggy races. I used to be into the RC scene in the late 80's and early 90's, and bought myself a Kyosho Maxxum FF buggy. Well, watching those guys whip (and I do mean WHIP) around that track got me all nostalgic. I dug out my Maxxum, charged up the battery and well........was underwhelmed... Back in the day, she moved pretty good, although it never jumped well.... So anyway, since I've been out of the hobby for about 17 years now, I kind of lost. I don't plan on racing my Maxxum, but I would like to make it faster. What are my options in terms of motors that would work? Right now it has the Lemans 240 ST with electronic speed control. What can I do for new tires? Is it possible to slap on some on-road (foam) tires for running around in the driveway/parking lots and perhaps a little more aggressive off road tire for the dirt? Basically, what can I do with what I've got?

Again, nice to meet everyone and thanks for any help you might give.

Attached Thumbnails
Maxxum FF with some questions.-maxxumff.jpg  
Dondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
Tech Lord
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Take all that stuff to a museum.

Just kiddin thats some cool old stuff.
I haven't seen a charger like that for a long time.
You should check out a Losi brushless RTR.
The electronics. Do you know what turn it can handle.?

Pop the hood and let us see what in there.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Take everything, clean it up, and put it in a display case. Seriously. It's old, doesn't and can't offer the performance of todays cars and might offer more satisfaction if it's behind some glass.

Go back to the hobby shop and buy something current, maybe even a used car that's a year or two old and bash around with that.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

If you insist upon driving that lovely vintage (Front Wheel Drive?) car around, and you want some blistering, laugh your butt off fun....

Castle Creations Mamba Max system w/7700 motor. And you should get new batteries/charger. Something more current, maybe even a lipo pack.

For wheels/tires, I beleive the Maxxum used 12mm hex drive on all 4 wheels, so any standard touring car slick/foams will work. They will look funny, but work.

I do agree with the other guys, clean it up, find a set of original wheels/tires, and put it in a display case. One day, that car will get some good $$ on eBay from a collector.

To have fun in the yard (bashing around) pick up a Associated T4 RTR set up. Relatively cheap, fully upgradable, and track proven.
--Joey --Venom Batteries & Chargers!!
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
RC10CE (X4),B2,B3,B4,B5, B5m, B6D - 10T,T2,T3,T4,T5M - B44.3
BRZ-444, RC10M, RC10L3 oval, L4 oval X 2
jk racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:16 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

wow, you guys make me not want to drive it around, I might break it and not be able to get it back together. I put a new battery in it the other day and it still really runs pretty good. Smooth, not fast, but smooth. I'll post some more pictures of the "guts" later today. The speed control I bought for it, at the time anyway, was about the best Futaba had to offer. I remember it being pretty expensive. Thanks for all the replies. I appriciate all the info and the advice.
Dondo is offline   Reply With Quote