R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-21-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Titanium for Offroad

So I have a set of Titanium screws and I have had a few people say that while the Titanium is lighter,
they are more "Brittle" than the Steel or Stainless Steal counterparts?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Titanium Lighter AND Stronger than Steel?
Are these people mis-informed or am I?
scoobydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yes Ti is lighter than steel. And yes it is "stronger" but as you said, it is brittle. A quick Wikipedia search and some simple math shows that Ti alloy's Yield strength is about 92% of it's Ultimate strength. The few different alloys of steel listed ranges from just 62% to 90% yield to ultimate strength. Yield strength is the load that can be placed on the material without permanent deformation(elastic), Ultimate strength is the load where deformation becomes permanent (plastic).

That was a lot of words to simply say, yes, it is more brittle. For most load bearing screws, stick to steel. Shock mounts, chassis braces, bulkheads, etc should be done with steel.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to killer89

Titanium is stronger than steel, but only per weight... Thus, most steel screws are stronger than Ti. Ti is much lighter though. Like gubbs3 said, steel in stressed areas, Ti in non-load-bearing applications for weight savings.
killer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:53 AM   #4
Tech Prophet
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Strength to weight ratio's for titanium are always better then steel but overall strength totally depends on the alloys used. I would say titanium screws in general are stronger then stainless screws but a high strength black oxide steel screw is probably the strongest you will find for hobby use. Not sure if the cost to reduce static weight in offroad is worth it though. Lots of us are actually adding weight to our cars so spending money on fancy screws does not seem to make sense but then again a lot of what we do fits in that catagory!
TLR/Losi Team Driver
TLR/Losi | Tekin | Venom | DE Racing | Spektrum | Exotek | JBRL | Kolor Koncepts | OC/RC |Sticky Kicks | Imagine It Graphics | Casper-RC.com
TLR 22 3.0, TLR 22SCT 2.0, TLR 22-4 2.0, TLR Ten-SCTE 3.0, Spektrum DX6R

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 04:06 AM   #5
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I always recommend the Grade 12.9 alloy steel screws in the chassis, motor mount, shock towers and shock mounts (basically any high stress area or place where the screw is threading into aluminum). Titanium screws just don't have the same shear strength as alloy steel. You also don't want to thread titanium screws into aluminum. The metals react to one another and you'll very likely strip out the hex socket on the Titanium screw when you try to remove it. The Grade 12.9 screws I sell are much stronger than any Titanium screws you'll find on the market for our R/C application. The only place I would use Titanium screws are on low stress areas such as the radio tray plate, fuel tank upper mount, PT mount, etc. But if you are only doing it to save weight, you might as well save your money and use lighter aluminum screws in these low-stress areas. Titanium costs so much more than alloy steel or aluminum. Personally, I don't see the benefits in off-road as the weight savings is only in grams not in ounces. Plus I'd rather have a stronger screw and finish than chance breaking a screw and getting a DNF. For the cost, you can spend less and save a lot more weight in the Rx pack, lighter pillow balls (if car has PBS), etc. Even a light-weight .030"/.040" body with thin coat of paint can be a good 5-8 ounces lighter than a thicker .060" body with a heavy coat of paint.

Best regards,

Tony P.
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote