Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Where can I find Rustler steel tranny gears? >

Where can I find Rustler steel tranny gears?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where can I find Rustler steel tranny gears?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Where can I find Rustler steel tranny gears?

Well turns out my 4.5R brushless setup is way to much power for a stock rustler tranny. So does anyone know where I can find steel transmission gears so I dont strip them out again?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by platinumjason
Well turns out my 4.5R brushless setup is way to much power for a stock rustler tranny. So does anyone know where I can find steel transmission gears so I dont strip them out again?
Here! http://www.rc-monster.com/stampede.php
Old 06-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

Thank you!
Old 06-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think that for now you are limited to a steel diff gear. There are aluminum idler gears available but the new VXL Rustler will have all metal gears. I am looking forward to this release.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:29 AM
Tech Regular

So I ordered the aluminum idler gear but it says to not use the stock steel top drive gear with it and to swap out to a nylon one. So now the question is will I be stripping the top drive gear rather than the idler one now? Is there truly anyway to bullet proof these trannys?
Old 06-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by platinumjason
So I ordered the aluminum idler gear but it says to not use the stock steel top drive gear with it and to swap out to a nylon one. So now the question is will I be stripping the top drive gear rather than the idler one now? Is there truly anyway to bullet proof these trannys?
Nope. the reason for not using an aluminum idler gear and the two steel gears, is that obviously steel is harder then alum and it will strip that gear even easier then plastic one. and it costs alot more im sure. plus that is a TON of motor for a rustler. best bet is to see if any of the gears are the same from a T4 or a Losi truck, their idler gears are truly a strong nylon where as the ruslter gears i would be willing to bet are actually a plastic and not as tough as the ones from AE or Losi. kinda sucks since you spent so much on your brushless that this is your new problem now, hiopefully you can find a way to make it more durable.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

If you wait a few months the metal gears will be available from Traxxas. you don't have to change the top gear just be sure that you use a good quality lithium grease and coat these gears well. With a lot of use you would eventually start to sharpen the teeth on the aluminum idler gear which would lead to main diff gear failure. Lots of people run their trucks this way for months even years with no problems.

Personally I would leave things as they are and watch for the gears to be released from Traxxas.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah I saw traxxas had the vxl coming out, I just didnt want to have to do tranny rebuilds every 2 or 3 weeks inbetween while Im waiting for the traxxas ones to come out. Looks like thats what I will be doing though =\

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking tranny

i have run the alloy idler and metal top gear for a few years now with 10 turn motors and have not had a problem.just grease it up good and it should last for ages.

the new traxxas transmission does look good but it is a pity they didnt add a metal motor mount to it.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Anybody know if the sun gears in the diff are steel as well? I keep stripping those which locks my diff and causes it to strip.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Tech Rookie

I plan on getting the VXl when it comes out will I have similar problems with the stock transmission unless i change to the metal or aluminum gears now?