Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Lipo Saddle Packs with 4wd Buggy? >

Lipo Saddle Packs with 4wd Buggy?

Lipo Saddle Packs with 4wd Buggy?

Old 05-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Lipo Saddle Packs with 4wd Buggy?

How many you guys using Lipo with the Saddle Pack buggies?
(MR-4BX, BJ4WE, 501X, KMC Lazer)

What kind of modification did you need to do to make them fit if any?
So far I have only seen Max Amps. Anybody else?
http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...5500-74-Saddle

I want to go Lipo brushless on my 501X, but wasn't sure about the Saddle Lipos.

I also heard about having some sort of device to match/equalize them?

Any Saddle Lipo info is appreciated.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have a Maxamps 5500 for my 501x, but have only test fitted it. I would recomend the 4000 or 4400 what ever it is because the 5500 is very tall and requires a lot of mods. the 4000 fits in a xx4 with no mods so it should be good.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scoobydo
I also heard about having some sort of device to match/equalize them?
Its called a balancer. It equalizes the cells so you don't over-discharge or over charge one cell over another. Its something you will need probably only once in a while because most cells stay pretty well in balance but they are probably worth it just to be safe. I have one even though my cells have never been out of balance. If you get one just make sure the taps match between the battery and the balancer. There is no one standard tap used by everyone.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I use the maxamps 4400mah saddle pack in my BJ4WE. It seems to have worked fine so far. I have had the batteries for about half a year already with no issues. I use the same battery for all 3 heats and 1 main. I did have to add some weight to the rear of the buggy to get it to handle right.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It's not on your list, but I'm running 4400 lipo saddle packs in my X-5. They work great. I had to add weight to the car too.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

So is Max Amps the only game in town?

Also, I assume any Lipo charger will work?
-The Orion Advantage
-Team Much More Silent Charger
-Pulsar Comp 3
What about the Orion Advantage Avionics?
For the price, it seems to have more Lipo features that the more expensive ones listed above.
Is the reason because it is solely Lipo where as the others are Combo Nicd, Nimh and Lipo?
The Avionics seems like the right choice for me seeing as how I already have chargers for my other cells.
I really don't need a combo charger, but wasn't sure if I would be missing something by getting the Avionics one.
Any downsides for you guys using the Avionics?

padailey:
Whats the brand of your balancer? are you using Max Amp Batteries?

1 Xtreme R/C:
nice pics thanks.

I will definitely go with the 4400 then since you guys are saying the 5500 will be a stretch.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by badassrevo
I have a Maxamps 5500 for my 501x, but have only test fitted it. I would recomend the 4000 or 4400 what ever it is because the 5500 is very tall and requires a lot of mods. the 4000 fits in a xx4 with no mods so it should be good.
Let me know when you get your 5500 into your 501X.
Tell me what mods you made to make it work.
I'm assuming just spacers to bring the posts up higher.
If you can let me know how many more millimeters you needed to add, that would be great. Thanks
Old 05-25-2007, 04:12 AM
Tech Regular

The Orion Avionics will balance the pack. You can balance with a charger that will discharge 1C, I'm pretty sure.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I just put the 4400 Maxamps in my Yokomo. Requires some trickery to fit in right and I had to add about 4oz of weight back into the car, but LiPo's are awesome.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
I just put the 4400 Maxamps in my Yokomo. Requires some trickery to fit in right and I had to add about 4oz of weight back into the car, but LiPo's are awesome.
What trickery? Got any pics.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Just to add to the mix - I recently installed the Maxamps 5500 mAh saddle pack into my BJ4. Modifications were as simple as trimming the battery tray to wedge the pack towards the center of the buggy (I can post some pics if anyone wants to see them). The saddle packs are taller but I used a longer 4-40 screw to engage into the post with no problems so far. The pack sits directly on the chassis now.

I am running at GTB/5.5R (bulky) so when I checked the weight after the battery change I was just above the ROAR minimum. On the track the buggy handles great so I don't plan on adding any weight. I had someone try my buggy the other day and the first comment they made was that the buggy ran nice and light

Hope this helps. Brushless and Lipo's are the way to go - very, very, very low maintainance .................. more time to practice
Old 05-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by thelav
Just to add to the mix - I recently installed the Maxamps 5500 mAh saddle pack into my BJ4. Modifications were as simple as trimming the battery tray to wedge the pack towards the center of the buggy (I can post some pics if anyone wants to see them). The saddle packs are taller but I used a longer 4-40 screw to engage into the post with no problems so far. The pack sits directly on the chassis now.

I am running at GTB/5.5R (bulky) so when I checked the weight after the battery change I was just above the ROAR minimum. On the track the buggy handles great so I don't plan on adding any weight. I had someone try my buggy the other day and the first comment they made was that the buggy ran nice and light

Hope this helps. Brushless and Lipo's are the way to go - very, very, very low maintainance .................. more time to practice
I'd love to see pics as I not quite sure what you mean.
The taller posts make sense. You just using simple aluminum spacers to raise the height?
Thanks.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Here are some pics of the mod (buggy's a little dirty )

The second picture shows the battery hold down curved from the torque on the screws. So far this has not been a problem and I actually do not have it torqued down that hard.
Attached Thumbnails Lipo Saddle Packs with 4wd Buggy?-batt1.jpg   Lipo Saddle Packs with 4wd Buggy?-batt2.jpg   Lipo Saddle Packs with 4wd Buggy?-batt3.jpg  
Old 05-25-2007, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by thelav
Here are some pics of the mod (buggy's a little dirty )

The second picture shows the battery hold down curved from the torque on the screws. So far this has not been a problem and I actually do not have it torqued down that hard.
I see what you mean.
I would have to do the opposite as the 501X battery hold downs are clipped at the top.
So I would have to use aluminum spacers to raise the posts to the right height.
I should be able to get a pretty good fit as I have from 1mm to 3mm spacers.
Any slack at the top, if any, could be taken care of by using foam strips on the hold down bars.
I'll look into the 5500 then.
Thanks.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

this is a great thread being that i am picking up my 501x today.it is going to be a brushless lipo car.please post pics and ideas in detail because i would like to make aftermarket lipo friendly stuff for these cars.i will be fitting up my 501x very soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.