R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-02-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
Tech Initiate
Default Getting Back Up to Speed

I started racing in 1997 and raced for about six years. When I "got out" I kept all of my stuff, knowing I couldn't stay out forever. So I still have my complete early 2000's race setup. This entails:
Airtronics M8
Tekin BC112 A and C chargers
2400 and 3000 MAh batteries

I know that these vehicles are still competitive, especially the xx4. What I am having more trouble with though, is determining what pieces of gear I should plan on updating. I know the batteries are relics and have to be replaced. However, how long have the IB4200WC cells been out? Is there something elso over the horizon that I should wait for instead? I also plan on purchasing a brushless motor setup and probably a better discharger. My budget is 1500-2000 to get started again. Any reccomendations as to charger, esc/motor combo's, etc would be much appreciated.
TSewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The equipment and cars are fine. But the battery technology is far superior than back in the day. I would look into new packs.
BuggyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Rebuild the shocks, replace the tires, replace the batteries, and maybe a new charger to go with them.

FYI, Lipo batteries are the next big thing (I'm sure you already know that), and they require a lipo specific charger.

And maybe the belts on the xx4.

Go have fun!
AE FT B44.2, SC10, T4, B4.2, B4, 18T, 18R, TC4, L3.5O ** Losi MRC Pro ** CRC Carpet Knife ** Axial XR10, AX10, SCX10 ** Traxxas EMaxx ** JR Z1
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

There is an conversion available for the XX-4 WE at www.4wdrc.com The X-5 conversion keeps the excellent suspension of the XX-4 but changes the drivetrain to a single belt system for better acceleration. It also is alot easier to service and work on than the XX-4. Check it out.
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Convert your bk1 over to the xxxcr rear end and it will be up to speed. Just run the mf1 its better than the mf2 anyway. The xx4 is released so thats a current car again. Keep the m8 go with DSM if you feel like upgrading.
New chargers and cells are needed. They're are a bunch of great chargers for 125-200 might want to consider one that does lipo packs they are almost mainstream.
As far as electronics goes if you run mostly modified classes look at the brushless systems that are out the initial cost is higher but well worth it in the long run.
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:28 PM   #6
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Basic maintance is all thats really needed for the cars. IE shock rebuilt, tranny rebuild, and new tires since the old ones will be a waste.

Batteries need to be replaced. Dont worry about jumping on the lipo wagon just yet. But the current batteries are alot better then those were. Charges should be fine for now, but look into a duratrax ice charger.

As for mods to the cars, get the xxx-CR rear hub carriers for both the bk1, and mf1. And convert over to the xxx-cr steering rack. Other then that, they are pretty similar to what you have now.

Personally, i would go brushless in your xx4. Novak gtb with a 6.5 motor. but thats just me.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #7
Tech Lord
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I would check into the Lipo and brushless stuff myself.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:25 AM   #8
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey Travis, this is Greg. Come on out to Hometown and check it out if you haven't already. Tim will be more than able to get you hooked up with whatever you need. I would also look at the newest Integy charger it does just about everything except for wipe for you. I don't know what software your Tekin chargers have but they can be upgraded to do nickel metal cels, but it is still old technology.
Don't sweat the petty things...........Pet the sweaty things!!

Serpent America
Lunsford Racing
RCBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #9
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Get a Novak GTB and 10.5 for the buggy
Get a Novak GTB and 6.5 for the truck
Get a Novak GTB and 4.5 for the xx4

a duratrax ice charger or two

2 Maxamps 6000 lipos
1 Maxamps 4400 saddle pack lipo

and you are caught back up with the times
the radio and the cars are still the best out there.
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I run the novak gtb/6.5 in my xx4 and it is plenty powerful enough. Had it on a big track with big jumps last weekend and it was great. Ran the 6.5 in my truck for a summer, but put a 7.5 in it now so it is easier to control.

I put the spektrum in my M8 a couple summers ago and it's been running flawless since. I love not looking around an antenna, and even better you never have to even think about frequencies.

With the brushless systems you don't have to worry so much about batts. For a five minute race my 3300's are fine in the truck, iffy in the buggy. My 3800's get the job done in the buggy just fine. I feel no need to upgrade. I thought about going lipo, but until the races get longer I'll stick with what I have.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote