Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20 Minute Electric Main Li-Po Truck Class

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

What's the most durable fan to use on the gtb?
And what gearing is recommended for a gtb 6.5 in a T4 with stock spur running a 6000 maxamps lipo?
Thanks
: )
Old 06-27-2008, 04:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by FroBoy
Battery change. I couldn't come up with a good way to hold two lipos in my truck that I was comfortable with. My pit stop lap was 72 seconds. Normal lap times were around 40 seconds, so basically it took thirty seconds to switch the battery.
Depending on the track pit road, I am quessing the slow down and speed up including the 5 second stop times 3 in 30 minutes should take around 21 to 25 seconds of time making the penalty stops compared to 30 seconds for a battery swap.

The extra battery weight I like in the truck for more bite, so I can't really say that hurts me, but it could hurt others who don't like a heavy truck!

Congrats on the good run!
Old 06-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jbrow1
And what gearing is recommended for a gtb 6.5 in a T4 with stock spur running a 6000 maxamps lipo?
Thanks
I'm looking for a durable fan as well for gtb. My setup is same as yours (gtb 6.5 / T4). I haven't had any trouble so far without fan though.

I am running a 19 tooth pinion right now on stock spur and it moves out. Running 8000 lipo and easily 30 minutes race time. May drop to 18 now that it's mid 90s around here.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Thanks for answering. I'm running a 19 also and always have before with no problems. I let my buddy run it in a gas truck race last weekend and it thermaled on him. I'm guessing he probably ran ten minutes. I really think what happened though is he got upside down a few times and free revved it pretty good to get the marhshalls attention. I just read on novaks website free-revving is a bad thing for these and can make the rotor shatter apart due to the centrifugal force. My rotor is fine but I think that is why it overheated itself. Again, I've never had it happen to me in three years of running the thing. So I believe that was the culprit.

If you click my name and check out my last posts, I just ordered a fan from a guy here on tech. He's selling them for like 11.50 shipped and it looks to be a stout fan and bolts right on.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:07 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for answering. I'm running a 19 also and always have before with no problems. I let my buddy run it in a gas truck race last weekend and it thermaled on him. I'm guessing he probably ran ten minutes. I really think what happened though is he got upside down a few times and free revved it pretty good to get the marhshalls attention. I just read on novaks website free-revving is a bad thing for these and can make the rotor shatter apart due to the centrifugal force. My rotor is fine but I think that is why it overheated itself. Again, I've never had it happen to me in three years of running the thing. So I believe that was the culprit.

If you click my name and check out my last posts, I just ordered a fan from a guy here on tech. He's selling them for like 11.50 shipped and it looks to be a stout fan and bolts right on.
I also don't use a fan!

Check the rotor by trying to pull the shaft out of the magnet. It is a magnetic cylinder that can come delaminated or unglued from the shaft. If it moves any at all, it needs to be reglued to the shaft. We have used superglue and have even seen tire glue used.

Also everybody making long runs needs to make sure the bearings are lubed in the motor before every long race to prevent thermalling when the bearings dry out. Check all bearings in the truck to make sure they are lubed properly too. All it takes is one for the drag on the drivetrain is hard the motor.

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2008, 02:09 AM
Tech Master

Any race reports from 20+ minute electric mains???
Old 07-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Tech Addict

I use JB Weld for any loose rotor, I have. I have used it on an HV4400 (Novak) and a Lehner 1200XL basic rotor, I have never had a failure. All i did was clean the magnet and shaft real good, then set it and let it sit overnight
Old 07-06-2008, 05:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Craps
Any race reports from 20+ minute electric mains???
Me and Froboy will be battling again today, he's going down this time
Old 07-06-2008, 05:12 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Craps
ICheck the rotor by trying to pull the shaft out of the magnet. It is a magnetic cylinder that can come delaminated or unglued from the shaft. If it moves any at all, it needs to be reglued to the shaft. We have used superglue and have even seen tire glue used.
Super Glue and tire glue is the same thing = CA.
But neither is good for reattaching a loose rotor, as the product breaks down at relatively low heat levels.
Try using JB Weld instead, it needs 24 houurs to cure but supplies a much stronger bond that isn't as heat sensitive.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
Me and Froboy will be battling again today, he's going down this time
I can't believe you don't see ME as a threat, Matt. I've had my problems but I'm still running @ the end, jesh.

Chad O
Old 07-07-2008, 03:28 AM
Tech Master

Any results and pics????

I am planning to race at the RC Pro Series Race at Ransomville, NY on July 18th and 19th.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

No pics but Froboy beat me again, at least I have onroad to brag about Losi trucks went 1-2-3 with all of us running the losi esc and losi 8.5 motor. Not sure who finished 4th but it might of been a losi truck as well.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Matt TQ'd. Traffic got him, not me outdriving him.

I put the wrong battery in my truck and didn't make the last lap, but had a lap on the field so it didn't matter. From here on out I'm numbering my batteries

One thing that stuck out this month was how many are finishing the race. Our first month there were only a handful that didn't thermal or break. This month almost everyone finished. It's good to see.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the reports!

What kind of gearing for the losi are you using?

How many electric trucks and gas trucks were in the "A" main?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks
Like Craps, I don't use or need a fan. I suspect that those needing one on the Novak systems in a T4 may have them geared too high(read: too many teeth on the pinion). Try gearing down a tooth or two if your temps are high.

I am currently running a 16t pinion/87 spur with a 6.5 system in my pro truck running an 8000mah lipo. It came off the track this weekend at 138 degrees. The outside temp was hovering around 90 degrees with a bit of humidity thrown in too.

Although I normally always have my top endpoint turned down quite a bit for these loose n loamy outdoor tracks, with a 16t pinion I've got all the speed needed on a 100ft. straightaway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.