Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
20 Minute Electric Main Li-Po Truck Class >

20 Minute Electric Main Li-Po Truck Class

20 Minute Electric Main Li-Po Truck Class

Old 11-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

If you really want to know why I like a123s so much then drop them in a mamba. They can actually handle the initial discharge unlike the lipos you run. Lipos that can't discharge enough current is what causes the mambas to cog. Ever run a mamba that doesn't cog? It's pretty amazing when you don't have to worry about over heating issues, gearing issues, mounting issues in vehicles such as buggies, endless amounts of power, more effeciency since you don't have to run a fan as well, & last but not least zero cogging issues. Oh yeah, my batteries, motor, & esc set me back $200 total. How about yours? The mamba does take a little work to get set up right, but once its there its amazing. Is there any chance that you have had some experience w/ the new traxxas system. It looks like it might actually be a decent system for this class.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You know how I get the same exact result? I run a novak gtb 6.5 without a fan that will never have cogging issues, will run over 30 minutes on a charge, has more than enough power for the vehicle it is in. This setup has set be back right around 200 seeing how I dont buy stuff new very often. and to the question "Have you ever run a mamba that doesn't cog?" No thats why I have novak stuff! Plus the novak doesn't take any set up to be amazing.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

I'm not talking about picking up stuff used, i'm talking about a complete nib esc,motor, & battery that delivers 30 minutes of run time for $200. I will admit though, a 7700 is a little fast for the little truck. I'm sure if I dropped something like a 5700 in there then I wouldn't have to worry about tuning the esc, but I like it when I can go 55m.p.h. on huge straights. Those novaks can push your truck like that on big 200ft. straights right, or would gearing it like that cause it to over heat in the tighter infield of a track?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Tech Adept

I'm sure I could get my truck to do 55 mph without thermaling but heres the thing, I dont want it to. Going fast on a straight is easy, its the turn at the end thats tough.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Come on guys the mambas don't cog (unless there is a bad connector) let's not start rumors again. Only our friendly novak zealots say they cog lol zoom zoom
Old 11-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

If the breaks don't work then just use the guy in front of you to slow down. Seriously though, there are times when you will want to go that fast & the mamba w/ the a123s is the most cost effective way to do it, the a123s have better discharge characteristics then the lipos your running which keeps the mamba from cogging. If you have no desire to go that fast then the new sidewinder w/ 5700 should be an even cheaper combo.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by party_wagon
If the breaks don't work then just use the guy in front of you to slow down. Seriously though, there are times when you will want to go that fast & the mamba w/ the a123s is the most cost effective way to do it, the a123s have better discharge characteristics then the lipos your running which keeps the mamba from cogging. If you have no desire to go that fast then the new sidewinder w/ 5700 should be an even cheaper combo.
When people use me as breaks it just shows how poor a driver they are because their little mambas cant keep up. I've run at the farm many a time with the exact setup I have said before and I definitely dont need to go 55 mph on the largest track in the Carolinas. I like my truck to have control and feel to it, thats the reason why I run the novak. I;ve driven mambas and the shultze plettenburg that they copied and if your in a low traction situation there is just no way you could keep from breaking loose.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Or you could learn to how to set up your car for a loose track. When you don't have cogging issues the mamba is buttery smooth once you get it programmed right. The box stock setup is pretty on//off which would lead you to believe that it isn't a quality setup. Just program out a little of that bottom end and it runs great. I doubt you would like your novak if it came programmed w/ the same settings as the mamba. I guess cc wanted to sale the system to bashers 1st since they make up most of the market and a transmission ripping bottom end is probly what they believed a lot of bashers would want. Next are you going to tell me that you don't like to use brakes either? Just because I hit mine sooner doesn't mean I spent more time then you on the straight.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Tech Adept

The novak came the way it is because its actually made for racing. You can set up a car all you want but there are times that you just wont get traction. I do hit the brakes everyonnce in a while when I wanna mess with the person behind me!
Old 11-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Just because a losi or associated comes w/ a recomended box setup doesn't mean its the fastest setup for a given track or condition. Perhaps you should try running the box setup for your truck on every single surface you come across and tell me how it performed compared to various other setups for low & high traction tracks. I have a fealing that the mamba box setup would smoke the novak box setup on a blue groove track where a snappy bottom end is desired.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nothing I have seen has as much bottom end as a Mamba. It will bark a diff (even burn it up) faster than anything else.

But then I have never run my LRP with full punch either. We all run the LRP with a smoother bottom profile.

I've been dialing down the Mamba... to take away some of the snap.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

And to think theres people out there that run their car & esc w/ the bone stock setup on every track and then they try to convince you that system x isn't very good because it has too much snap on the bottom end.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I see a lot of local people that build/install/set-up stuff just like it comes and then complain about the shortcomings, or talk up the good points. I don't understand why they don't tune anything if they don't like it. I sure see it happen a lot though.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

anybody with the Tekin system yet ?
Old 11-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Do the novak ESCs have the ability to connect to a PC? I know that would be a cool thing to have for racing, you can really fine tune them.

Only time I see any cogging is in my 1/8 setup, and thats when I try to creep the throttle from a dead stop, and this is a none issue with the neu motors.

As for 1/10 scale setup, my first mamba had an initial cog till I changed 1 setting. Then, no cog ever again. next mamba, no cog again.

System is so tunable I could have full low end control so I wouldn't spin out, or tune it to throw rooster tails.

Other than the location of the USB port and the size, the unit is excellent for the money. If castle decided to make a pure race ESC, that doesn't need a fan, look out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.