Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Promotional Class Added to 2007 ROAR Off Road Electric Nationals >

Promotional Class Added to 2007 ROAR Off Road Electric Nationals

Promotional Class Added to 2007 ROAR Off Road Electric Nationals

Old 05-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Default Promotional Class Added to 2007 ROAR Off Road Electric Nationals

Great news for you guys in love with LiPo and Brushless!!! And.. for those of you wanting to see the technology......

the 2007 ROAR Off Road Electric Nationals has added a LiPo/Brushless demo class!!!! This will be worked into the program of the four day race schedule, another first for ROAR!

Rules are this:

$50.00 entry (entry flyer will be changed)

Late sign ups ok for THIS CLASS ONLY - as long as its done no later than Wednesday at the track -before racing begins.

7.4V, any capacity LiPo battery
ANY BRUSHLESS MOTOR - open!
ROAR Legal 1:10 2wd Truck
6 minute qualifiers
20 minute A main, B main 10 minutes, the remaining mains, 6 minutes ** No bump ups **
Trophies for A main

You must either send in entry flyer from ROAR website or late sign up at the track no later than Wednesday of the event. (cash or check only)

This is open to anybody!! Even if you have signed up for three classes max as per rules, you may enter this demo class as well.

Questions to [email protected]

Dawn Sanchez
ROAR Vice President
Old 05-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I'm surpised that horizon doesn't put up a fuss to have a123 cells allowed at this event. The problem with these current rules is that some one with $$ can purchase an ultra light battery for the heats and an 8k mah pack for the mains. There should be a rule forcing racers to use the same battery the whole day. You should also be able to use any battery you want to. In no way is using a 3s lipo going to give you any advantage in a class that features motors which easily over power the cars.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Just wanted to say that I wasn't planning on going to the nats this year until I read this post. Now I'm scrambling to figure out how I can get off work with such short notice. In a perfect world, it would have been nice to get more than 3 weeks notice, but I'll still do everything except quitting my job to make it down to Albuquerque.

Wish me luck! I'm going to need it!
Old 05-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It says any 7.4 lipo battery, which is only 2 cells. No 3 cells allowed. Demo class? Lol. BL/Lipo has been a standard for offroad classes, stock and mod, for quite awhile around NE Ohio.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

partywagon have you ever tried a light lipo in a 2wd truck or buggy. i have 8000 max amps lipos and they are approx 50 gms lighter than a standard 6 cell pack. even with those i cant get my truck to handle right until i add back the weight.
i have heard that some of the pro orion racers have used the 4800 packs and tried to get a setup to work with lighter springs / oil. they have always needed to go back to their standard setup and add weight to get it to handle right.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kvrc
partywagon have you ever tried a light lipo in a 2wd truck or buggy. i have 8000 max amps lipos and they are approx 50 gms lighter than a standard 6 cell pack. even with those i cant get my truck to handle right until i add back the weight.
i have heard that some of the pro orion racers have used the 4800 packs and tried to get a setup to work with lighter springs / oil. they have always needed to go back to their standard setup and add weight to get it to handle right.
I'm not partywagon, but I've used both Orion 4800's and Maxamps 8000's in my B4 and T4.

50 grams is at most 3% of the total weight of the buggy and I haven't really noticed the difference other than needing to adjust my shock collars a little bit in order to get the correct ride height. It's like the difference in weight between IB3800's and IB4200's. I guess it depends on what you consider handling "right". If you mean that you want your car to feel exactly like it does with IB4200's, you're correct that you will need to add more weight. I don't do it and I still make the minimum weight requirements and I swear my buggy feels a little less "sluggish", but that could just be all in my head.

Orion 4800's are much more difficult. The weight difference between IB4200's and Orion 4800's is around 180 grams or at most 12% of the car's weight. That's a big difference and I don't have the time or desire to figure out a special set up to make the battery work in my cars and it's awfully hard to put back 180 grams into the car without placing a lot of it on the battery strap, which definitely raises the cg and consequently decreases performance. Maybe that's why Orion is coming out with a "heavy" lipo for offroad soon.

Now back on topic: Who's going to sign up for this exhibition class?

Last edited by Leodis; 05-18-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would love to if It wasn't so far for me. This is the only type of racing I've done for the past two years. I love it.

The rules are identical to what we have established here in NC and dubbed "Pro-Truck". I would love to see it take off on a national level.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by kvrc
Yeah, this is what we have found too. I have tried running light wieght packs in quals and so have others. I've had some luck getting it to handle with light 7 oz packs but it's so much trouble to change back with the track conditions changing as it is. At the very least you have to get your setup right and then change it all again to run the main with a 12 oz 8000mah.

I think if cars were designed to run lipo instead of a 14 oz pack it would make for one fast car/truck.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Tech Initiate

This is great of ROAR to lift the ban on Li-pos and add this great class that is basically identical to what we have been racing here in the Carolinas. Probably the only electric class growth in the country did not go unnoticed by ROAR!

I just wished the race was a little closer to the east coast than New Mexico. Every area of the country has not accepted the new technology in Electric yet and still stuck with the old school technology!

Good move ROAR!!!!!
Old 05-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Tech Initiate

This is real short notice and we are trying to get a group trip up of Pro Trucks to attend the Nats that otherwise we would not have went!!!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

one difference between setups could also be the brushless motor more than the batts.. if you have never run a bl motor and now run lipo and bl, the weight bias has severely shifed to the rear.. just a thought..
Old 05-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ProTruck
This is real short notice and we are trying to get a group trip up of Pro Trucks to attend the Nats that otherwise we would not have went!!!!!
Yea, it is short notice and I do apologize for that. I look forward to seeing you in Albuquerque.

Don't forget to download the entry flyer from www.roarracing.com
Old 05-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

This thread was started on Friday and people at the local electric off-road track were already talking about it yesterday. Even the guys who don't own lipos are really excited about the exhibition class and thought it was an awesome idea. If I can't make it to the race, I'll loan my lipos to one of the local guys who is going so more people will be able to participate in the class.

Just wanted to let the "powers that be" know that this exhibition class is already generating quite a buzz in my neck of the woods!
Old 05-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ProTruck
Probably the only electric class growth in the country did not go unnoticed by ROAR!!!
Lest ye forget 1/18th!
Old 05-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

All I can say is thank you to ROAR for this first attempt.

I hope this will encourage a couple of battery companies to get with the car companies and work things out with ROAR. We don't need 1000 more classes but a way to make them work together.

PS. I would like beefier arms for the weight savings.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.