Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2wd v 4wd Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 2wd v 4wd Buggy

this has probably been asked time after time i bet but doing a search on the forums hasnt brought up any results..

basically im new to the whole buggy scene. i want to buy my first electric Tamiya buggy. BUT i am totally confused and cant decide wether to get a 2wd or a 4wd buggy...

i dont want to race or compete. i just want to have a mess around at the park and do things with it like skids, spins and tricks..
i have heard that 4wd buggies tend to break eaier than 2wd..

any advice lads?
Old 05-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't think you'll regret buying either. Just make sure that parts are readily available for whatever you buy. I have plenty of fun with 2wd buggies and trucks, but the surface you run on and type of tires will determine the traction available. The 4wd will definately get more traction and be easier to handle on loose stuff.

Personally I'd see what parts are carried at the local shops and buy based on that. An Associated or Losi buggy will be a lot of fun, and you should consider them as well. 1/10 Stadium trucks are great too.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

If you are set on a buggy, for bashing I probably would go with a 4wd buggy. Its true there are more moving parts, so more stuff going on, but the handling is much better.

One way to look at it, take a truck and go offroading, would you prefer to have a 2wd truck, or one with 4wd?

I did the bashing thing with a 4wd buggy before, with my first XX-4, was quite fun, more so than the RC10T3 I picked up next do to the 4wd being there.

For a tamiya, the Dark impact doesn't look to bad.

You could also look at the Academy sb V2 sport.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Also, if you run a stock motor, or maybe a 19t you will be less likely to break, the 4wd break more because they are capable of running similar lap times as 1/8 scale nitro buggies with arms and parts that are much smaller.
HTH
Rod
Old 05-16-2007, 08:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the 4wd break more because they are capable of running similar lap times as 1/8 scale nitro buggies with arms and parts that are much smaller.
True...True...
Old 05-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gatermaxx
Also, if you run a stock motor, or maybe a 19t you will be less likely to break, the 4wd break more because they are capable of running similar lap times as 1/8 scale nitro buggies with arms and parts that are much smaller.
HTH
Rod
What he said.

If they only went as fast as the stock buggy class, they'd never break.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:17 AM
Tech Rookie

cheers fellas,

I hear your point about off roading with 4wd vehicles..

i wont be modifying it in any way as im not interested in competing or anything.. i also dont want to spend much time maintaining it as i heard you need to take them apart and grease up every so often.. if the 4wd has more moving parts, does that mean it will need more maintaining?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

They're just like a touring car that you run in dirt. If you don't run it in dirt, then there's not as much maintenance.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

4wd is more stable and i think a little more fun
2wd is harder to drive but is cheaper to get and maintain
Old 05-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

4wd would be better for a basher.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

2 wheel you can do more wheelies though.

I think bashing it would be cheaper and easier to work on with the 2 wheeler.
I think with the wheelie factor 2 wheel would be more fun and versatile.
The 4 wheel is more for racing. I think?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Depends on what type of bashing. For jumps and blasting about on the straight road, 2wd is simpler and easier. But like Cain said, if you're bashing it on loose surface, 4wd is more controllable and can be more fun for a beginner.

For the 4wd option, you might want to consider a DF-02 (Gravel Hound or Rising Storm). It's got some issues that need ironing out but it's about as low maintenance as a 4wd can get.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I race a 2wd buggy, but had 4wd before. For pure fun, I'd go with 4wd.
There really cool to show off, and handle much more variety of terrain. My only recommendations are oil shocks, electronic ESC, full bearings, sealed gear boxes. Tamiya makes some of the most bash worthy cars around. Have fun choosing just one.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Maybe irrelevant to this thread but I had HPI Nitro MT for 4 years before sold in ebay last year.

I wanted a 2WD for a change because I was so used to driving 4WD in bashing and got bored with it.

Also I wanted something more challenging to drive as well as fun hence I got RC10GT2. Just breaking it in yesterday, looking good so far!
Old 05-19-2007, 05:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrman
this has probably been asked time after time i bet but doing a search on the forums hasnt brought up any results..

basically im new to the whole buggy scene. i want to buy my first electric Tamiya buggy. BUT i am totally confused and cant decide wether to get a 2wd or a 4wd buggy...

i dont want to race or compete. i just want to have a mess around at the park and do things with it like skids, spins and tricks..
i have heard that 4wd buggies tend to break eaier than 2wd..

any advice lads?
Amongst the current crop of Tamiya 2WD and 4WD buggies, I'd highly recommend you get the 4WD buggy Dark Impact or Keen Hawk, both DF-03 chassis.

I have one that I had heavily hopped up to race in our local club (modified class) and it can hold it's own with the likes of pure competition 4WD buggies like the JConcepts BJ4s, Losi XX4/XXX4, Yokomo MR-4BXs, and Tamiya TRF501Xs.

Out of the box, I think the DF-03 chassis is great for beginners (like me). I feel it has great value and it is quite durable in stock form.

It can also be ugraded/hopped up (as you grow into this hobby) to handle hotter/brushless motors (if the speed bug hits you eventually).

I also got the Tamiya Sand Viper (2WD DT-02 chassis) for my son but it's mid/long-term value is poor... too poor specially when compared to the DF-03 chassis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.