Community
Wiki Posts
Search

off road newbie.. please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 08:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Lightbulb off road newbie.. please help

i've had a few electric r/c's when i was younger, but this is my first shot at nitrous.. i'm not much of a mechanic to say, so i'm not very familiar with the 'lingo' or what exactly things do on the car.. like i know what the engine does and stuff, but not much more than that.. i have a few questions, if anyone has time to answer them..

1. i'm contemplating on getting the OFNA Hyper 7 buggy RTR kit.. http://www.rcmodels.com/rc-ofn-14325.html (it looks pretty nifty, but i'm not sure if OFNA is a good brand and if it's worth the $$.. )

2. i noticed that the buggy is only a 1 speed, whereas i'd like a bit more top speed.. will a 1 speed transmission be sufficient for that? or should i get a 2 speed transmission? (if i need a 2 speed, can anyone please make any recommendations)

3. i'm open to any suggestion that'll help me make the best decision on getting into it all.. i'm not really pressed on a budget, but i'd like to keep everything under $600..

thanks alot..

-jimmy
Old 03-31-2003, 03:34 PM
Tech Adept

ofna is a good brand and i would recomend getting the hyper 7 buggy. im not sure about the two speed.
hope this helped
Old 03-31-2003, 06:18 PM
Tech Adept

What a coincidence, I am also considering a ofna hyper 7. I have run 1/10 scale nitro but saw my first 1/8 scale machine and WOW very cool. From my limited research it seems that a 2 speed is not really needed for the car. Also there is a PBS version of the hyper 7, which stands for pillow ball suspension. It seems that it is more adjustable and some say more durable its probably hard to say since its pretty new.

If you plan of racing then it also sounds like you will need at least a better servo for the steering, one with more torque. The radio gear it comes with is cheap, no doubt about it but its somthing you can upgrade down the line if you choose too. A good source of information is the ofna website, they have a message board and section devoted to each car including the hyper 7.

Hope this helps,
Matt
Old 03-31-2003, 08:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I havent raced 1/8 in years, but my expirence with Ofna in the past wasn't the best. The plastic is much more brittle than the other buggies out there, and makes it very easy to break. If I were you, I'd take a look at the Kyosho MP7.5 Sport. BTW, these buggies are fast enough without the 2 speed, trust me, you'll love it.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:03 PM
Tech Adept

From what I have read ofna stepped up as far as quality goes. Heck they even have Brian Kinwald driving for them. I just have a hard time with the price of the MP's, even the sport version. I know they are awesome cars but the ofna looks tempting
Old 04-01-2003, 09:19 AM
Tech Initiate

i decided to go ahead and give the Hyper 7 PBS a try.. =) the link to it is on my original post at the top, if you want to check it out..

i'm starting to draw out of list of things i'm going to need before i actually get the car, such as:

- loctite
- oil for the air filter
- after run oil for the engine

but seeing this is my first shot at nitrous r/c, i'm not exactly sure of everything i'll need.. so if anyone can make more recommendations of things i'll need to get, please do.. i dont wanna screw anything up..

and finally, i have a very vague idea of how to break a new engine in.. is there any website or any tips yall can give that goes into every detail of how a new engine should be broken in? thanks alot..
Old 04-02-2003, 04:01 PM
Tech Initiate

bumping this thread in hopes of getting some good recommendations.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:43 AM
Tech Adept

It seems like everyone has their own opinion on engine break-in so you will find a lot of diffrent answeres. Here is a artice to get your started http://www.rc411.com/howto/enginebreak-01.html.

Do plan on racing the car at all? I am not sure if the car come in a glow-plug igniter or not. If not you will need one of those. Also its nice to have a few extra glow-plugs on hand. If you do plan on racing the car then, from what I have read, getting a better steering servo is almost a must. I would check out the ofna message board and see what the folks with the hyper 7 are running.

Hope this helped
Matt
Old 04-06-2003, 04:38 PM
Tech Initiate

i definitely plan on getting upgraded throttle and steering servo's, but i doubt i'll be racing anytime soon.. this is my first nitro r/c, so i have a bit of learning to do.. especially with the engine, as i'm not so bright with them.. =/

i stopped by the hobby shop this weekend, and picked up a "starter set", which came with a few extra glow plugs, fuel bottle, glow plug igniter, etc.. all the stuff a newbie would need.. =)

however, when i was looking at the glow plugs, on the back of the package it says: ".12 - .15"

will these glow plugs work in my hyper 7 8 port .21 engine? i know the .21 doesnt fit in that range, but will they still work or should i be on my way back to the hobby shop?
Old 04-08-2003, 08:45 AM
Tech Initiate

bumping this thread to hopefully get some advice.

i also have another question as well:

i just got my hyper 7 pbs buggy in, but i'm not able to break the engine in until this weekend.. but as i unpacked everything and started reading through the instruction manual, i didn't see any instructions for the starter box or the radio.. the starter box is pretty much self explanatory, but i don't quite get everything on the radio..

i understand that if you pull the trigger, thats the gas.. the more you pull it the wider the carb is opened and the faster you go.. but if you push the trigger back instead of pulling it, is that reverse or the brake?

if it's the brake, then where's the reverse? and the same question, but vice versa..

i really appreciate all of the advice i've gotten off of everyone.. it seriously helps.. =) this is my first nitro car and none of my friends are really into r/c cars, so i dont have anyone to look over my shoulder and guide me in the right direction..

-jimmy
Old 04-08-2003, 03:21 PM
Tech Adept

Arrow

Pushing forward on the trigger will give the car break.

Im not sure if your car has reverse, but reverse is illegal for racing.

If it did have reverse, than many setups have it where it will break for like 5 seconds then it kicks into reverse. Something like that i think.

I have a website, I made it a while ago, but I explain a lot of things about nitro and what you need check it out

R/C Raceway

Some other things you might want to get with ur nitro are some nitro spray, CA glue for the tires (maybe urs are pre-glued, get some anyway)

If you have the money, definitely get a good quality set of allen wrenches and nut drives. Hudy, trinity, ofna, are some brands with good tools.

Also paint for the body unless its already pre painted.

Good luck and have fun with nitro, its awesome
Old 04-08-2003, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

I have a Kyosho MP-6 International for sale. PM me if your're ineterested.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Default reply

no doubt. for one there's no such thing as a 2 speed in an 8 scale nitro buggy. they dont need it, there's tons of power without the 2 speed. as for the guy who bought a starter kit, if you bought the hyper 7 you woulnt need a starter kit unless you bought a pro version. but since it came with an engine and it's prebuilt, it should've come with glow igniter, fuel bottle, 1 glow plug, cross wrench etc. the hyper 7 is acctually a really good kit but im more for GS Racing. i mhad the 9.5 before and like my GS Storm way better. as for the throttle yes pull back is throttle and pushing forward is the break. there's no reverse on 8 scale buggies. i advice you to go to ofna.com or nitroreview. we'd be able to help you out with any questions you may have concerning your buggy. another thing with any offroad RC, when it's in the air, you control its attitude in the air with the trigger too. throttle and the nose will point up, jabbing the break will make the nose dive. hope this helps you out learning the basics.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 1/8TH Off-Road Wheels ?

Hi Guys,

Am new in Off-Road and was wondering if there are Wheels
designated for certain buggies only.

Have a Kanai II and wanted to find out if it uses the same
wheels as other 1/8th buggies or are there ones specifically
made the Kanai.?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 04-14-2003, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Ron,
any wheel that fits 17mm axles will fit the K2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.