Wiki Posts
Search

Lost 8ight/8T vs Mugen MBX5R/MBX5T

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Lost 8ight/8T vs Mugen MBX5R/MBX5T

Hello
I was going to be getting a few 1/8 cars in the next month and i had a few questions from those that have seen/owned these

i was thinking of getting a losi 8ight and 8ight T bt i was reading about the Mugen's also and they seem pretty good also
has anyone tested these car's and what did you guys think of them?

With the buggy i was going to run a .21 "Hot Mod RB Concept WS7III Competition Buggy Engine (Standard Plug) w/2045 Tuned Pipe"
and on the truggy a .28 engine. I was reading that most people run a .28 in the truggy's due to the size compared to the buggy. what do you guys think

I was going to either get a RB engine or NIN for both cars
but i am having trouble picking one(two) when both seem like a good car.
I was thinking going with one losi and one mugen, but lol i don't really know
Old 05-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

you can run a 21 or 26 in the truggy,28 really going to have some power.
I would go with the losi on both cars, parts are avable and they are winning races all over.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Either way, both are TOP cars. I would stick with .21s in both vehicles however, as there really is not too much weight difference between truggies and buggies. (chassis is a little longer, bigger tires, longer a-arms) Bigger than a .21 sips fuel too fast imo. The WS7III is amazing, especially with the matched pipe. Though most people would want a little more bottom end in the truggy, so maybe try the C6BB if you want to stick with RB. The Ninja engines are also awesome, but right now they are backordered everywhere.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

these 2 trugs are light enough that a 28 is just overkill. I run a 21-5 and a b7pro(nuts) in the 8t.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Tech Rookie

rezenclowd3- Thanks for the engine info
i just added 2- Hot Mod RB Concept WS7III Competition Buggy Engine. I just need to find a good header/pipe for it, which are you using? i was goign to run a JP-3.
freaking R/C car's just cost me $5k
Old 05-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

I wouldnt buy a modded engine. Most pros dont even run modded stuff. Also, stick with the 2045 for both the RB engines, or use a 2020 for more low end, but sacrifice a little run time. Why buy a top of the line engine, and use a sub standard pipe on it? Though to be fair, I run a JP1 on my WS7II x3 (same speed/ power as the WS7III) but only because the guys at our track dont bother trying to miss you....if they can dent my JP1, then why let them dent a $100 pipe. Though I think im going to use a Ofna 086 instead just because the JPX pipe is not an ideal match. If you do want to use a cheap pipe, the Ofna 0XX (053, 086 etc) are better choices for the RB mills.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brent98rt
rezenclowd3- Thanks for the engine info
i just added 2- Hot Mod RB Concept WS7III Competition Buggy Engine. I just need to find a good header/pipe for it, which are you using? i was goign to run a JP-3.
freaking R/C car's just cost me $5k

I really doubt you are going to be able to get a hot mod RB engine as Jim only mods Novarossi, Top, and Rex engines. A stock WS7 is pretty good as it is.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Tech Master

Hot Mod WS7 III

Hot Mod C6BB

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
I really doubt you are going to be able to get a hot mod RB engine as Jim only mods Novarossi, Top, and Rex engines. A stock WS7 is pretty good as it is.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Nitro$junkie

WS7 x3 with pipe

what does it mean by "Hot Mod" ??
Old 05-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

This is the Hot Mod modified RB Concept WS7III Off-Road Competition Buggy Engine. This motor has been modified by Jim Hottinger of Fusion Motorsports to produce more low end and more top end power than the stock engine. Jim Hottinger was Ron Paris' right hand man for nearly twenty years, and knows a thing or two about how to modified motors.

Originally Posted by brent98rt
WS7 x3 with pipe

what does it mean by "Hot Mod" ??
Old 05-13-2007, 11:06 PM
Tech Rookie

I was reading about the RB engine and the V-spec.
I read that the RB lose their tunes very easy. anyone come across this?
Old 05-14-2007, 12:24 AM
Tech Elite

I dont know where you read that? The OS and RB engines are known to have excellent carbs. Both are very easy to tune and both hold their tune very well. The V-Spec is also an awesome motor, was running against one yesterday....problem was he had the right pipe, and I didnt....and my driving skills are still lacking
Old 05-14-2007, 12:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitro$junkie

I stand corrected. He told me himself he only modded the engines he imports. I guess he has changed his mind.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Red face Answer the question guys.....

The Losi will be more nimble. It is light and athletic and really does not need a lot of power.

The Mugens are heavy and more stable. This makes them very forgiving if you are always not on line. Because of the weight you don't need as much tire to make the Mugen fast.

I have owned both and prefer the Losi. I have some onroad in my background and like to be really smooth so it just fits me better. If I had a heavy finger the Mugen would prob be a better choice.

Go easy on the buggy engine if you go with the Losi. An RB S7 will work wonders and you can still afford to get a pipe. Dynamites .053 in hard anodize is a sure killer that will not break your pocket book. The Sportworks V2 .21 is a smoking deal that pound for pound is money very well spent.

Get a little more motor if you go Mugen due to the weight.

For Truggy... Sure! Go big! Sportworks .26 V2 is the bang for the buck motor in this class. Go high torque for the pipe if you run the Mugen and maybe JP - 3 if you run the Losi.
We have put gallons and gallons through these motors and they are fantastic!
$140 with the backplate (most come in pull start) and if setup right, you will not get out motored.

That's my .02.
TEX
Old 05-14-2007, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Don't mod an engine. Just buy a new mill and take care of it. If you know how to take care of a nitro engine then I would go with an o.s. v-spec or the new werks team line b7 in both cars. If you are new to nitro engines then I would go with something like an o.s. v.g. or a sportwerks .21 v2 for larger tracks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.