R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   What would you buy if $ was not an option (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/163289-what-would-you-buy-if-%24-not-option.html)

patrick21x 05-14-2007 11:59 AM

What would you buy if $ was not an option

Hey whats up guys, I was racing back in 2000 (THE DIRT in Hemmet CA), and ended up getting out of the hobby and moved onto RC helis and guns. At the time i had the MBX4 w/ all the hop ups and M8 controller. I was pretty good and could constantly make it into the A-main. After being out of the hobby for a while I want to get back into it.

I noticed there is some new gear and Models like the mbx5r and new spectrum recievers (which i really like) . My question to you guys is this ?

If you could go on a shopping spree and buy the best of everthing to get back into the hobby and compete with the best what would you buy.

WHich Car (Buggy or truggy)(Im leaning towards the MBX5R or 777 WC)
Which Motor and Pipe ( I was thinking Top 7 port w/ Jammin jp-3 pipe)
Which controller ( M11 w/ Spectrum Module ?)

What other gear would you for sure buy to get ready to race?

I really appreciate your input, because it will give me knowledge on what the latest and greatest is. I cant wait to see some replys so i can start checking the new stuff out. Thanks again to anyone who posts there comments, look forward to hearing from some of you. Thanks, Patrick

PS..... I have now gotten out of the heli hobby, I shot my Heli down w/ my 50 cal rifle and sold all my aircraft, I want to get into 1/8 scale buggys quick. Here is a video of me shooting down my RC Heli w/ my 50 cal rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDil4F8yJ7s

K_King 05-14-2007 12:03 PM

Thats a rather large bullet.

more$thanbrains 05-14-2007 01:48 PM

LOSI 8-ight

Orion wasp (i dunno about a pipe)

and a KO PROPO EX-10 HEILOS w/ spektrum pro and telemetry

its all good

Aaron Waldron 05-14-2007 01:51 PM

Hey Patrick, how ya been? I'm guessing this is the same one from the Grid a long time ago...

If you still have AIM, hit me up (my SN is in my profile) and I can run you through all the good stuff that's out on the market now.

Cain 05-14-2007 01:56 PM

Hmm, money no object. First thing probably I would have for fun would be the HPI 5B 1/5 scale. Looks like a blast to have.

Then, take your favorite 1/8 scale chassis, get it professionally converted to Lipo configuration. No need for fuel or tuning.

Other than that, buy whatever is top end from there for radio, servos, etc.

kevinmajor 05-14-2007 01:56 PM

buggy 8ight
motor RB WS7 III
pipe JP-3
servos ACE 1015
radio Futaba FASST

Then I would just go to the local track and buy the tires that the local fast guys are running and buy the fuel that the local hobby stores carry (I prefer byrons or Odonell 30% race fuel.) Make sure you have extra suspensions arms, clutch bell bearings, and things like that.

R40Victim 05-14-2007 01:57 PM

If I become your man-b1tch, will you buy me anything I want? I'll gladly shoot it with a 50 cal if you become displeased with it...

schmelme 05-14-2007 02:47 PM

Top of line stuff: mugen mbx5r, losi 8ight,jammin x1cr FTE take your pick.
Engine: novarossi 21-plus7 or RB concept C6bb7t w/pipe kit,
Servos: ko propo 2364's
Radio: futaba 3pk w/2.4ghz faast, ko helios w/spektrum pro, Airtronics m11 w/ spektrum or wait for their 2.4 system. they are all good take your pick.

BuggyKing 05-14-2007 05:10 PM

Maybe move over to Nitro with the Losi Eight.

infanterene 05-14-2007 05:40 PM

I have owned most of the popular buggys. I recomend the mbx5r. I wish I would have bought it first. The jammin is a close second.

Noah R. 05-14-2007 06:26 PM

Car: Jammin FTE
Engine: New one from OS (totally screaming fast) JP-3 Pipe
Radio: M11 or Z1 from JR w/ spektrum
Servos: JR Digital and/or M11 Prestige

Nitro$junkie 05-14-2007 06:40 PM

Mugen MBX5R decked out with all the hopups
Ninja Mario Rossi Tuned+Fast Link Pipe
Futaba 3PKS Fasst
Futaba S9351 X2
GRP pre glued wheels and tyres
Proline HD wing
Mugen Started box

Theres a start if you think it aint enough you could always get the same again for a MBX5T pro spec

R40Victim 05-14-2007 08:32 PM

Better yet, get two of enerything suggested, then you'll have a back up for when you shoot the first one...

tcmerf 05-14-2007 08:40 PM

I like the way you think, thats my setup except i am running an OS!

Originally Posted by Nitro$junkie
Mugen MBX5R decked out with all the hopups
Ninja Mario Rossi Tuned+Fast Link Pipe
Futaba 3PKS Fasst
Futaba S9351 X2
GRP pre glued wheels and tyres
Proline HD wing
Mugen Started box

Theres a start if you think it aint enough you could always get the same again for a MBX5T pro spec

Nitro$junkie 05-14-2007 10:41 PM

im running the same but with a 21+7BT :D
but A Ninja is on its way just a BO1A thought the mario tuned is on the wish list

Originally Posted by tcmerf
I like the way you think, thats my setup except i am running an OS!