Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What should/could be the best 1/8 buggy. >

What should/could be the best 1/8 buggy.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What should/could be the best 1/8 buggy.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Tech Addict

Default What should/could be the best 1/8 buggy.

I don't have a 1/8 buggy yet but they all look the same.
What about the results and your opinions?

Here are mine:

Kyosho Inferno:
-You can't go wrong with that but then again it is overestimated.

Robitronic:
-Lots of unique stuff but then again nothing special.

Losi 8:
-Looks very good and probably is so.

Team Magic:
-Now thats is what a buggy should look like but I heard I doesn't perform that well.

XRay:
-Bla Bla Bla ... Luxuary ... Bla Bla ... Hudy Spring Steel ... Bla Bla ... YEAH WE KNOW

... Damn that Team Magic Car Looks really good!
Old 05-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Kyosho Inferno:
-You can't go wrong with that but then again it is overestimated
Yup, and I personally don't like philups head screws. But that can easily be changed with one phone call to Tony's Screws.

Robitronic:
-Lots of unique stuff but then again nothing special.
Pretty much. I've never seen one in action, but it looks like everything else, and likely performs that way.

Losi 8:
-Looks very good and probably is so.
I have one, and yes, very good. I could write half a book on why it's so great. It's unique and has the potential to dominate the 8th scale buggy world. The only problem is, most 8th scale buggy racers are adapted to the way their particular buggy handles, and find it hard to adapt to a faster, more precise style of driving. If you come from on road, this is the buggy for you.

Team Magic:
-Now thats is what a buggy should look like but I heard I doesn't perform that well.
I like that they tried to inovate, and it does have some teething issues, as all new kits do. But the problem is some of the inovation makes it a pain to work on. They should have focused on ease of maintainance, not what looks or sounds cool.

XRay:
-Bla Bla Bla ... Luxuary ... Bla Bla ... Hudy Spring Steel ... Bla Bla ... YEAH WE KNOW
They are great cars, and handle as well as any typically designed 8th scale buggy. They're everything you hear they are. If the 8ight didn't exist, and the RC8 wasn't comming out, it'd be near the top of my list for cars I want.

You forgot to mention the Jammin(Which I belive should be in this list) Though a slightly dated design, they none the less perform very well, and are a great car for the money.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Tech Adept

i say go to the lhs and local track and find out what if any support(parts) they have for the cars you have listed above. mabey talk to the drivers and look at the cars thourghly.. and make sure you do your research ... and like r40 said dont forget the jammin and or the mugen if your going for high dollar kits... i drive an eight ,drives great, but not if you are a hammer and go type driver i have seen the truggy version of the robotronics(mantis) and it had all kinds of problems.. mabey it was the guy driving but didnt look very sturdy. most importantly have fun
Old 05-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

i would put on your list the hyper 7 and the rc-8 and the duratrax raze ..
Old 05-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think Ive had almost all of them.

Kyosho top notch durability, handles well, no hex screws or machined hubs are its low points

Mugen very good durability, every hop-up is included, comes with tires

Jammin very good handling out the box, comes with many hop-ups, but mine had some durabilty issues

Losi 8 very innovative, handles rough stuff easily, and jumps extremely well but also had some durabilty issues

Xray top notch parts quality, really easy to work on, and super adjustable, the new xb8ec is my new car of choice but the older xb8 and xb8tq had different engine placement that didnt do well under rough conditions.

I like a car that is durable and I admit I am rather picky when it comes to parts wearing out and breaking. My favorites so far have been the kyoshos because of the fact they are nearly impossible to break. But I am excited about the new xray xb8ec I just bought because its everything I liked about the kyosho with the xray adjustability bigger shocks and really easy to work on.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I would put the CEN Matrix on there too. Great race vehicle, durable, and can be found pretty cheap new or used.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PTP Racing
Losi 8 very innovative, handles rough stuff easily, and jumps extremely well but also had some durabilty issues
Just curious what this statement is based off of. Yes - people dont know how to setup their throttle linkage and put cheap servos in so they blow them.

I've broken three times since I got this thing. 1 - body. Not the 8ights fault! 2 - Steering link end 3- another steering link end that actually wasn't found until I got home and was cleaning the car.

Liked it so much - I picked up the 8ight T today from my LHS.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Losi has been making running changes to address and durability shortcomings of the 8IGHT buggy. I think they've got pretty much everything sorted out now, but the guys at the office never rest in terms of improving Losi's products.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

mugen mbx5r handles sweet and has all the hop up parts with the kit...
Old 05-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Why do you need any hop-ups or upgrades? My losi 8 didnt need any!
Though I did put the KH motor mount on to make pit work a little faster...

Top of the list (in no order)
Mugen MBX5R
Jammin X1-FTE
Losi 8
Hyper 8
Kyosho 777 SP2 based series
Team Magic M1-B
Xray TQ or the new EC

Really those are the cream of the crop.