Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Convert Stick Radio to Left Thumb Steering, Video Gamers Rejoice! >

Convert Stick Radio to Left Thumb Steering, Video Gamers Rejoice!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Convert Stick Radio to Left Thumb Steering, Video Gamers Rejoice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 06:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

yes i want the futaba 3vc coz i already got a 3pk with fasst.

that way i am already familiar with the futaba menus and also i can use the fasst module from my 3pk with 3vc and the 2 recievers i already have.....
Old 10-31-2007, 06:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Now that I think of it more, the only way that the sticks can't be swapped is when the front shell itself is cut out like | -- There are some stick radios that are like this, and they are usually the cheaper ones. The more expensive ones just have round cut outs for the left and right sticks. Also, sticks can be removed in every controller. So, looking at the 3VC again, I would be confident that the sticks can be swapped. magm20001, If you ever get a 3VC and do this, please don't forget about this thread and post your results here. You might have to get your wires lengthend like I had to.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

so do you totally swap the left stick to the right stick? <- thats what u did yeah??

would it be easier if you

you just rotate the left stick and rotate the right stick? then you swap the ST and TH leads on the receiver from thier normal position.

i.e the steering servo would be in the TH position on the Receiver; and
the Throttle/ESC plug would go in the ST position on the Receiver
Old 10-31-2007, 11:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

I swapped the actual sticks, leaving wires connected.

I could rotate the sticks and mount them that way, but it wouldn't really work for several reasons. The 1st reason was because the throttle was set up for 70% forward and 30% brake, and this was a physical problem. The sticks have a stopper, so the throttle was always at dead center at 30% closer to the brake side. So if this stick was rotated into left/right for steering, it would zero out closer to the right or left. Also, the sticks are set up so I can adjust tension, and the brake tension was quite a bit stronger than the throttle tension, so again if this was set up to steer, it would have more tension steering one way than the other.

The 2nd reason is it would completely screw with my menus. Now that I just swapped the sticks around, all menus work, nothing is really changed.

Remember, I had to take my throttle/brake stick to an electronics shop to get the wires lengthened to reach the input on the PCB inside the controller. It was only $10 though, was professionally done, and was well worth it rather than trying to lengthen the wires on my own.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

I just wanted to update this thread for people to see again. It has been almost 2 years since I did this mod, and I would never go back to a pistol radio again. I love it, I am totally used to it. If you want a stick radio but want sticks swapped, it can be done!
Old 03-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by magm20001
yes i want the futaba 3vc coz i already got a 3pk with fasst.

that way i am already familiar with the futaba menus and also i can use the fasst module from my 3pk with 3vc and the 2 recievers i already have.....
i got the 3vcs and i love it...the funniest thing is when people at the track look at you like you are from the 80's

G
Old 03-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Tech Regular

I do use a air radio, a Cockpit sx to drive my car.

You only need to use 4 channel receiver in order to use the proper chanel associated to your stick. Since all air radio are very tunable. Belive me it's worth the investement. In fact you can get 4 channel receiver for cheap or even cheaper than 2/3 channel for RC car. As same goes for the radio.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Maybe I'll have to try this out with my old Hitec radio and see if I like it