Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Clutch Shoe are better ? for .21 engine off road

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Default What Clutch Shoe are better ? for .21 engine off road

Let me know your point of view about that.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There is no one "best" choice. Aluminum shoes can vary in their grip levels. They also require more maintenance. The regular composite shoes don't grip as much but need much less maintenance. It all depends on the track you're running on and how much maintenance you're willing to do. I prefer clutch springs and aluminum shoes from M2C. https://www.m2cracing.com/

Lots of people also like the Fioroni sliding clutch. I also like the CRF V6 Adjustable clutch. There's also the RMV Speed 2 and Speed 3 clutch systems. So many choices!

regards

speed metal
Old 02-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

You can also run a combination of aluminum and carbon shoes. I run 2 carbon and one aluminum with good results.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the werks clutch is king. Unless you like to buy lots of high dollar shoes and like taking them on and off.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by weaponx
You can also run a combination of aluminum and carbon shoes. I run 2 carbon and one aluminum with good results.
What he said. ^^
Old 02-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by better
the werks clutch is king. Unless you like to buy lots of high dollar shoes and like taking them on and off.
I agree in a big way! The Werks clutch rules! you don't need a special to adjust it like the Orion, and it lasts forever. I ran a whole season with mine so far and there is mabye 0.5mm of wear on the shoes! Although it is an expensive intial investment its cheaper in the long run. As long you lock tite the nut you will have no problems at all with it tightening up on you.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I noticed some clutches have Teflon shoes as options. Has anyone ever run those? I know they'd hit a little less because they'd slip a little but wouldn't they wear insanely fast? Plus, Teflon cold flows. It would seem to me that the tolerances could be way off because of that.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
I noticed some clutches have Teflon shoes as options. Has anyone ever run those? I know they'd hit a little less because they'd slip a little but wouldn't they wear insanely fast? Plus, Teflon cold flows. It would seem to me that the tolerances could be way off because of that.
I just put in my 3 engines teflon clutch shoe and i'm just finished the break in to my STS and the clutch look very well, tomorrow i get a full answer when i take this engine to the track and run a few tank with full trothle.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default clutch

My experience with the werks clutch is not very good. I tried to run one several times and everytime it seemed to make the engine run hotter than with a standard clutch. I would run the engine with the werks clutch and then run it with a standard clutch and it would be about 20 degrees hotter without touching anything else. In my opinion if you do not want to spend the money running aluminum shoes all the time buy a Firoini clutch. It last forever and does not sacrifice performance. I run the firoini turbo slider with carbon shoes and two springs on all of my club race motors, because it does not require ant maint. On all of my race motors I run 3 aluminum with 1.0 springs. I hope this helps John.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Kingheadz makes some very nice shoes for all brands. I have some pictures on our online store. The 7075's last forever. Go and take a look.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The kings headz shoes wear very well, I've got half a gallon on a set now with almost no wear and not alot of build up on the clutch bell. Homer has some awesome deals and is customer service is A+.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

i just tried using 2 aluminum(ofna) and 1 carbon(mugen). seems to be working very well thus far. will update after another few outings.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Wink

Jmnay_83 - My experience with the werks clutch is not very good. I tried to run one several times and everytime it seemed to make the engine run hotter than with a standard clutch.

You must not have had it set correctly. All of our engines run the same temps. We have 6 - 8 of these clutches on our track and all of them run really well.
We run Rulon/Carbon combinations on our stuff.
Engines will overheat if you let them slip too much. That is with any clutch.

The Works clutch does rule. I have also been running a lot of the Losi clutch.
Both are very good when setup right.
I have also been impressed with the Kyosho with all carbon and 1.0 springs.
Very easy and no maintenance for a whole season. No probs with slippage either. All are on the expensive side but well worth it.

Run the Works with Rulon and find out why every onroad racer runs it as well.

TEX