Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 2WD Buggy Fr Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default 1/10 2WD Buggy Fr Tires

Dumb question but why do 2wd buggy and trucks only use ribs on their front tires?

Cheers
Old 01-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Suspended

mostly because they didn't know better, well in a way. they were looking for a tire that would bite through the loam and such to bit in so the car/truck would turn. but as more and more big events are running blue groove the best for that is a tire similar to what you run on the rear. it got more and more popular and guys started trying different treads and compounds on club nights in the wet and have found tires that are working great. i use panther tires and i don't ribs up front. i also saw a new yet to be released or announced tire from proline last night from a top pro for Losi running a fuzzy 2wh. front tire. it looked like it worked very well for our track. one thing with a rib tire as yes it does bite in pretty good you also find that the ribs are tall enough and stiff enough that the tire deflects. when your tire is deflecting its not on the ground giving you steering 100% of the time. with a tread similar to a rear tire your contact patch is increased without such a large rib or lug deflecting off of the imperfections of the dirt. so you have increased control and better handling. so i think you will see more tires like this in the very near future. if you go back and look at cars from 10 or 15 years ago they had ribs and they worked so they didn't change anything. really the only reason i see.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ribs "cut" better which equals better turning. Why have pin or stepped tires in front when they're not powered. I've had reg. dirt tires on my mini-t front and noticed a huge differance in turning. Compared to using the stock ribbed ones they where almost useless.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

what i dont like about the current 2wd front tires are that they are all wide. On most tracks here in NL and belgium wide tires dont work as well as small tires.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:03 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation

That's not true. For example, it is common at hard-packed clay tracks to see a tire setup where guys are running Taper Pins all around in both 2wd buggy\truck classes. Losi makes a pair of front Taper Pins for 2wd buggies, and rear tires normally will fit on front rims for trucks.

It really just depends on the track.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

holeshots grip better than ribs, but they look funny, and they dont grip better by that much.

if you need more steering, try moving the battery forward. also try oils/spring combinations.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:24 AM
Suspended

jonhanthan that is not what he asked. and when your buggy or truck is set-up exactly perfect ribs are not the way to go. they deflect and when your tire deflects it is off the ground and thus your steering is not responsive as it can be. thats why rear tire type treads are the way to go cause you will get a more consistent steering reaction from them. easier to drive , maybe not in your mind better traction but easier to drive. and that means better lap times.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

drift buggy what type of track are you running on the tracks that we run around me are wet clay and are indoors and most of the guys that I race with run losi 7202 or 7205 pink ribs up front but we grind them down where they are almost like a slick tire and run bald taper pins on the rear and there are a few running the 2wd front taper pin ground down we cant get as much steering out of a tire with full ribs the same goes for the truck ground down tire are what works around me you will need try some different tires and see for you self or tell us what kind of track you run on and what car and someone will be able to help you
Old 02-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

While on the subject of front 2wd buggy tires, Traxxas have just bought out Anaconda Front and Rear 2.2" Buggy Tires

Cheers
Old 05-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I've been wondering about this myself. Just started racing offroad this year (Touring Car last year) and I cannot stand the way that my T4 "pushes". I'm running blue springs, 35WT oil, 2-hole piston in my front shocks, and the truck just pushes. I'm running STOCK and the thing overpowers the steering!

I'm considering buying a set of Hole Shots or Panther somethingoranothers and mounting them up front, but am concerned about blowing $50 for wheels/tires/foams if it doesn't work out...

It seems to me that ribbed tires offer a more CONSISTENT steering and traction benefit, whereas treaded (spiked, or whatever) tires would offer better traction, but would be more inconsistently grabby on a blue groove track where surface imperfections would cause treaded tires to slip/grab/slip. Ribbed tires just slip.

I just cannot tell if it is the truck or the tires.

Mr.Maim
Old 05-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

well are you running the tires that the fast guys run at you track??
depending on the surface of your track, losi tapers work well on clay and blue groove tracks, and any tracks that are hard packed.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by theanimaleide
depending on the surface of your track, losi tapers work well on clay and blue groove tracks, and any tracks that are hard packed.
Yes, I am running the same tires that the fast guys are running. But, there is one huge differernce between they and I: they're running 19-turn or lower and I'm running Stock (in the Novice/Stock class). 19-turn and mod is a TOTALLY different vehicle. You can "kick" the back end of the truck around with the power... not so with Stock.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by theanimaleide
Are Taper Pins dry track or wet track tires?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Tech Regular

Dry
Old 05-09-2007, 12:39 AM
Tech Master

Good deal, thanks. Any suggestions for front tires for a wet hard packed blue-groove semi-bumpy clay track?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.