Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Brushless and shaftless Revo >

Brushless and shaftless Revo

Brushless and shaftless Revo

Old 04-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Brushless and shaftless Revo

Well I took my Brushless Revo to the local track this weekend. There were several T-Maxx/Revo's there and they all got smoked. The only cars that could keep up were the big block nitro truggies. I was on my third set of batteries and disaster struck. Made a pass on a T-Maxx over the double double jumps and then nothing..... motor just spining but I wasn't moving. Ok, no problem, the pinion probably came loose... NOT... the shaft actually snapped off.. Don't know if this is because of the extra power (upgraded from HV 6.5 to a HV 4.5 motor, slipper was too tight, defective part or ?). Motor is going back to Novak for repairs.

Last edited by Shark413; 04-30-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

That sucks how old was it?
Old 04-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

If they aren't shipping it and everything else for free you may just want to order a new rotor off of tower hobbies. They realy aren't that expensive.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

I just got it last week (HV 4.5 motor), installed it last Friday, broke it on Sunday. I don't see a replacement rotor on Towers for the HV 4.5, but they do list a rotor for the HV 6.5 but I am not sure if that will work in an HV 4.5 motor. I will call Novak and see what they have to say. But Novak has a 120 day warranty which includes replacement of defective item with a new item and free shipping. I would rather get a new replacement motor for free (from Novak) since it appears to be a defective part. I have reinstalled my HV 6.5 motor for now, so there is no rush to get it fixed.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The rotors are the same in the 4.5 and 6.5

IMO this is not a defective rotor. The problem is that it's common to have too much flex in the motor mount. Add a tight gear mesh and you get a snapped shaft when the gear bind up.

You can't twist a steel shaft and it's not just bad steel. Same thing happens with the Hacker motors with 1/8" shafts....
Old 04-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Too much power and too small of a motor shaft.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would send an email with that picture and your situation to [email protected]. He may be able to advise whether they would even cover that (it does look like crash damage). That might save you shipping over and back from California. However he also might want to check out the internals of the motor so that's why it's best to send him an email. They have a RMF (remanufactured) product policy that (even if it's your fault) you can get a RMF replacement for less than 1/2 the street cost of a new one. See www.teamnovak.com and look at customer service warranty and non-warranty links for details, or like I said, just email Charlie. He'll be glad to advise you. Their tech support is second to none.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

glassdoctor has some good points. but here is most likely why it failed. look at how far down the shaft your pinion is mounted. when it is that far away from the moror it puts a lot more stress / leverage on the shaft. try to find a way to get your motor to mount so the pinion will be closer to the motor.
every time i have seen a hv motor have this problem the pinion is always way out on the shaft. a flexy motor mount will also cause problems.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Guys, thanks for the great info. I agree the shaft is a little small (diameter) for the power, and I had the pinion pretty far out (it was centered on the spur). I will try to move the mount closer, and install the pinion so there is less shaft showing. As far as the mount/flex, the mount utilizes the stock nitro motor mount, which is attached to the chassis and rear bulkhead, so it is as solid as you can get. The mount supports the motor in the front and back, so it to is pretty solid as well. I have run this exact same setup for months with the HV 6.5 with no problems. I just think the extra power of the 4.5 had something to do with it.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Ok, a new rotor is on the way. I have never taken a brushless motor apart, anything special to look out for? I just need to remove the endbell, replace the rotor and then reinstall the endbell right?