R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Tamiya Dark Impact (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/161356-tamiya-dark-impact.html)

stanky626 04-30-2007 11:24 PM

Tamiya Dark Impact

What do you guys think of the Dark Impact? Is it worth $140 for a bashing buggy? I may race it in a few club races.

GymBeam 04-30-2007 11:58 PM

its ok just for bashing, for racing in the long run buy something better

Cain 05-01-2007 07:49 AM

A buddy of mine has one and ran it recently when we were practicing ( I have the SB V2 Pro).

using 19 turn power it was quite fast and seemed to handle the track well. The tires on it are alittle one the hard side, but would probably be good on a slightly moist surface and from what I understand stand have great foams in them. That GRP stuff.

It does have very flexible plastic components, especially the shock towers.

I would say for the money, its not a bad vehicle to start with if you keep in mind what its for.

If you want something that can go and be upgraded to race specs, look at the SB V2 Sport. MRC has a great deal going on them right on there site. And you can upgrade them to V2 Pro specs as your wallet allows. Where the 501X from Tamiya is there race platform and is different than the Dark Impact, the V2 Sport is still the same chassis design and can be converted to the Pro with the change in specific parts.

ford_racing 05-06-2007 06:24 AM

Good solid basher, competitive in Stock, 23t,

Definitely worth a look, I have one and love it, almost indestructible, very east to set up for the track.

I think the chassis prefers onroad offroad (if that makes any sense) than dirt offroad,

Jason Halvorson 05-06-2007 06:40 AM

i have one, and for the price its a great buggy...if your only lookin gto get in to the class as an entry level and just do some club racing and bashing its worth every penny...

oople 05-06-2007 10:05 AM

Awesome car at a certain speed but when you start trying to compete against the big boys with loads of power the chassis can't really keep up - not terrible but the more power you throw at it the more the chassis weaknesses are apparent.
I got a review of the car finished but not published yet, and just doing an 'ultimate Impact' review with kmc conversion, and tons of hop ups.

Cain 05-06-2007 12:00 PM

do you know when you will do a review of the SB V2 Pro?

Looking forward to reading another of your reviews, good stuff!

streetracer745 05-06-2007 12:36 PM

i absolutely love mine. its very fast. with a 10 turn mod it will outrun most brushed trucks at my track. i dont race due to the lack of class, but its a very solid basher. its stood up to all the punishment ive thrown at it, which is usually a lot like how i drive my MTs. i think its worth the money, but needs a new motor because the stock one is terribly slow.

there are 3 different chassis conversions. one by 3racing and the chassis is set up the exact same as stock but its graphite, one by KMC which makes it use saddle packs, and one by monotuning which is plastic but is more solid and longer so it can use 7 cell batteries.

stanky626 05-06-2007 01:40 PM

Cool. Thanks for all the feedback.

Jason Halvorson 05-06-2007 06:46 PM

the 3racing hopup parts are awsome!!!!!!!!!!

streetracer745 05-06-2007 06:48 PM

and yeah racing. both make decent graphite parts(wouldnt exactly recomend for bashing on the street or any hard surface or gravel) if you are packing enough power and have a slipper, then all the aluminum parts add a ton of durability to it though