Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Truggy choice?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Truggy choice?????

hi, ive been looking at purchasing a truggy and want your guys oppinion on which one is a good choice. i will be doing some bashing and some racing. these are the ones i have been looking at. hpi hellfire, team losi muggy, and the jammin truggy. i also wanted to know if it was better to go rtr or buy the kit. thanks!!
Old 04-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Of course buying a pro truggy kit and building it yourself would be the very best, but will cost a lot more than a RTR, I'd recommend building if you are really serious about racing mostly and only occasional bashing. I can only speak of the muggy you mentioned on your list, since I have just bought one. I did my research on it, and besides needing a 12T clutch bell, and better clutch shoes its bullet proof. I had a LST2 before and know how durable the arms and suspension is, and this truck is no different. Almost any LST/Aftershock suspension upgrade parts will work on it. I'm sure the other trucks you mentioned are very good as well, so do some research on all of them before you buy. But I do highly recommend the muggy.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

yea thats the one i was looking at the most. it just looks awesome. whats it like? acclereation? handling? tunability?
Old 04-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I would purchase a kit, not an rtr. I would also go to your local track and find out what they are using so that you can get help w/ setups and such. The best bang for your buck is the mbx-5t standard version. Pick up a one piece motor mount, and a sportwerks .21 v2 w/ pipe and you should be very fast out of the gate. The truck doesn't need the pro-spec shock towers because the body protects them. You can find the truck w/ a motor mount for around $500 shipped to your door. You can find the engine for under $150 w/ pipe. It is a wicked fast motor and gets great fuel mileage, it performs about like a rb ws7II or a picco evo. However, it is a large track motor. If you are running on a small track then I would go with a nova rossi n21bf and a jammin jp-1 pipe because it is much strong on the bottom end. The sportwerks engine will give you more top end speed though. The jammin truggy is also an excellent choice as well. I wouldn't go w/ the muggy or the hellfire either. If you decide that the kit jammin or mugen is a bit out of your price range then you could look in to picking up a revo or a 1/10th stadium truck and run in limited monster or 1/10th scale because they are cheaper to race. However, be sure that the local track has a good turn out for what ever class you plan on running.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I've just now broken it in and its a blast to drive! I ran a whole quart of 20% with high oil content for breakin runs (about 6 tanks), but have switched to Odonnell 30%, and man I can tell you the front tires really balloon hard! I've always liked the Mach 427 engine, even in my LST it runs very well. I havent jumped it yet, but plan on taking this to the track this weekend for some open running. Check out you tube to see one in action, its amazing the abuse some of the guys are putting this truck through.
Again kits are great if your going to race hard, and often, and are the best route for winning. But dont worry, RTR quality has really not been an issue for some years. The few items I mentioned in my other post on the clutch bell/shoes can be easily replaced for $30, heck some guys just run the stocker till it fails, also I thought I had read that Losi was addressing the clutch problem, so might already be solved by now.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Tech Rookie

hi, i'm interested at the Losi Muggy RTR as well from Amain hobby store, how we can tell if that particular batch solved the clutch problem?

any special hop-up part we can purchase in order to make the muggy more durable? it just a lil dissapointed the muggy never came with the DX2 radio
Old 04-26-2007, 05:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

if you plan on doing more racing than bashing, I would lean more towards a true truggy, the Muggy weighs alot more than the true truggies, and its not any more durable than most truggies, I had a LST2 and I broke it 1000 times more than either of my truggies,

I would say look at the Mugen, Losi, and CEN matrix trucks too, the Jammin is still competiive, but its getting old, and I think the newer trucks have an edge in both performance and durability, and personally I would stay away from the hellfire, I've never driven one personally, but anyone I've ever seen with one, has seemed to have a lot of issues with it, it could have been the users, but a couple of them were good experinced guys,

my personal choice is the CEN, the RTR CEN is a killer deal, and is probally one of the most durable trucks I've ever owned, normally I would say get a kit so you can build it yourself, but since the CEN RTR is such a good deal, I would just tear it down and rebuild before running it too much, it comes with a good engine, decent servos and radio, an awesome painted body, and tires that will work decent on basically any surface, there are also alot of guys on this forum willing to help you out, myself included,

if you plan on doing more playing than anything else, get what ever truck you like the most, it sounds like you really like the Muggy, so get it, also look at parts availability, but in this age of online shops, you can get parts for anything quickly now, so thats less of an issue, but get what you want first, and dont settle, otherwise you will end up buying it in the end anyway, and spend twice as much money,
Old 04-26-2007, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

CEN matrix TR @ headrushhobbies.com
Old 04-26-2007, 07:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

i just picked up a cen matrix tr RTR which is very nice, i did put my 3pk and 9351 servo in it but the motor and pipe are good. For the price its hard to beat.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:55 AM
Tech Rookie

looks like the CEN TR Arena is the good buy for a RTR kit, how about the GS Racing XUT Pro RTR on the Amainhobbies?

It's slightly cheaper at usd380, how it compares to the CEN and Muggy?
Old 04-26-2007, 08:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default CEN

CEN all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Jk Racing I believe has the GS XUT and I think he likes it.

I have the buggy version of the CEN Matrix, and its really business. I am happy with it so far.

I have heard the RTR version of the Matrix TR is quite nice and the engine is not something you need to run out and replace right away.

For the money, doing a teardown and rebuild is A-ok for me. And CEN stands behind there products.

As for Jammin, I heard they are good, the only complaint I have really heard about them was the parts I guess wear out quicker, which probably isn't an issue anymore.

Main thing, look for what works on the vehicle, not just bling. Having the graphite radio tray doesn't win you the race or beef things up more than the cheaper metal one at the club level.

And its always fun placing better than someone who has a vehicle that is significantly more expensive than yours.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

yea, id like to build a truggy but price wise, its sort of hard. but im sort of scared to go rtr, because of durablilty issues. at my local track many people run the jammin and losi 8, i have not yet seen the losi 8 run but i saw the jammin kit truck and it took everything the guy threw at it. to help u out helping me lol id say that im looking to mainly race with some bashing here and there. what do you guys think of the cen kit? and what engines do you guys prefere. id like to go .28 for the tourque, but want your guys opinion. thanks again
Old 04-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

I like to build all my stuff but this thing is very well built and there is not many parts that are different then if you got the pro or team kit. I think the servos are crap but the radio is not tha bad for a rtr one (i still put may 3pk in)
Old 04-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

yea, i will end up putting my spektrum into it, but how durable is the truggy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.