Wiki Posts
Search

Shipping to Canada - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Shipping to Canada - Need Advice

Hey everyone - I've got a buggy listed on eBay and someone is asking if I'll ship to Canada. I've never shipped internationally before. Is there more risk involved than shipping within the U.S.? If I do decide to ship it to him what steps do I need to take to protect myself incase it gets lost or he says he never received it? And what's the best method of shipping? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 04-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi, I am canadian and buy and ship to the US pretty often.

First of all, if you are afraid about the buyer saying that he has not received the item, just ask for a delivery confirmation and/or tracking number.

UPS can track your item but for the buyer, he will go when he gets his duty fees (pretty expensive with UPS). I never ask UPS for shipping.

USPS, the worst he can pay for duty fees is 5$ + 14%tx. If you lower the shipping value of the item, he or she will save on duty fees except if you do a claim, the amount you put on the duty sheet is the amount you will be aloud to receive (ex. declare 10$ and the buggy is worth 500$, if they lose it...10$ in your pocket). But don't worry, I have never lost an item in over 250+ transaction US to Canada.

Hope this help.

My ebay username is falconcg

My club website is www.rcottawa.com
Old 04-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the help. He said he would be willing to pay for shipping thru USPS Airmail. Have you ever used that service? Can I get a tracking number or delivery confirmation with it. I looked on the USPS web site, but it's pretty much uselsss.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

USPS airmail is the best......UPS is horrible!
Old 04-25-2007, 09:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

USPS air mail will be fine. Ask when you go at your postal office if they can offer tracking number or confirmation of delivery. I know that here in Canada we can add that.

Don't worry, USPS offers great service. Delay of delivery should be around 14 business days. You can tell him so he starts worrying in 2 days
Old 04-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

Sounds good - thanks to both of you for your help. I told him I would be willing to do it, but I am going to declare the actual value for insurance purposes. Hopefully we can work something out.

Thanks again,
Scott
Old 04-26-2007, 12:45 AM
Tech Regular

USPS is the way. Prioirty is about 10-14 dyas. Express gets handled by Purolator. Canada's largest courier. Using UPS just means you'll never know where the item went. Or the receiver joining thousands in the on going lawsuit against UPS for hidden fees.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

USPS all the way.

UPS rapes us Canadians with their outrageous brokerage fees.

Air mail or Global express, both allow you track the shipment.

The only thing you will have to do extra compared to shipping within the US. Is you will have to fill out a declaration form stating what is in the package and its value.
Claiming your selling price is fine. That way you are covered for insurance.

For the description, Mark down either...USED TOY CAR PARTS
or....USED TOY CAR
You are not lieing

It will lower the amount of Duties and taxes your buyer will have pay when he receives it.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes USPS rocks! I've ordered and recieved tousands of dollars of RC stuff from the US. Not one lost item (knock on wood.) All by USPS and Canada Post. As long as their's a tracking number all's well. An economical choice for RC stuff is Global Priority Mail. I usually get my parts within 7 business days from Cali to Toronto with an average shipping price for engine parts of $10.00 usd. Sometimes the online tracking is wonky. Try not to ship anything on a Friday! Always Monday or Tuesday if possible. Things always seem to work smoother that way.

But in reality it doesn't matter what day you ship it'll get there. But the Friday dropoffs seem to mess with the tracking. Not always mind you. Right noew I'm waiting for a V-Spec being shipped from Utah. Tracking says it's still in the first stage (Acceptance for delivery). That was on the 20th. It is now the 26th which makes it 4 business days later. I'm betting that it'll be getting to Customs anytime now if it's not there already.

^^^ Just an example of a Friday dropoff messing with the tracking. Once it gets to Customs Canada Post takes over and I usually get pretty good tracking until it gets here.

My American brothers and sisters do NOT be afraid to mail stuff to us Canadians! Just use USPS with tracking and insurance and all will be good.

regards

speed metal
Old 04-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm another Canadian who has bought over 50 items from the US on ebay and never lost a single package. If I'm not in a rush, I prefer USPS. Small items can be shipped airmail in an International envelope for under $10.00 regardless of weight. Large items like cars and trucks cost typically $15-$30 depending on weight.

If the buyer is in an extreme rush, UPS (Blue) Expedited is more expensive, but no brokerage fees are charged, same with FEDEX.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:57 AM
Tech Regular

If you need something in a hurry use FEDEX. I gladly pay for the high shipping fees because I know it will get to me on time.