Wiki Posts
Search

Clutch spring setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)
Default Clutch spring setup

i know that guys have used different types of clutch shoes with eachother....like 2 aluminum, 1 carbon but has anyone ever used different springs? i have searched the threads and have come up with nothing. i just installed new flywheel and clutch. decided to try aluminum shoes with 2 gold springs and 1 black. i am running a jammin x1 crt and the shoes are ofna. i believe the gold are 1.1 and black are 1 maybe. what do you guys think? will there be issues with clutch engaging properly?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Bam! Here is a whole thread of what your looking for
Old 04-24-2007, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

thanks for the input but they really were only talking about using different shoes. i am talking about using different springs. i will try the different shoes in the future. anyone tried using different springs?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bulldawg RC
thanks for the input but they really were only talking about using different shoes. i am talking about using different springs. i will try the different shoes in the future. anyone tried using different springs?
If you want more snap off the line, you should go with the gold 1.1 springs.

It's pretty simple. The heavier the spring, the more snap (quicker) response when you pull the throttle open. It's the opposite with your clutch shoes. The heaver the shoe, the less snap you have. On my setup, I run 3 OFNA blue aluminum shoes (light) with the 1.1 gold springs (heavy). This combo gives me the most snap for my buggy. Bradly recommends this combo for the CRT Truggy. If you use the 1.0 springs, you'll still have good snap off the line, but it should be a little less abrupt. Using one carbon shoe helps to smooth out your acceleration. What you are basically doing with the different springs and shoes is changing the clutch engagement. The later your clutch engages (Higher RPM Range), the more snap you have off the line. If your clutch engages early (Lower RPM Range), you have a slower response off the line because your engine is making less power.

To sum things up: Heavier springs = Later RPM engagement = More snap (Quickness)
Hope this helps!!
Old 04-25-2007, 05:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here's a good page on clutch tuning:
http://csgbenefits.org/mgt/Clutch.htm

It's important to tune the clutch for your application, then you really need to MAINTAIN the assembly. This is where most guys fall down. They fail to clean it, and it gets oil (from the bearings), then slips and melts. Or they neglect the CB bearings, so they seize and knock you out of the race, etc, etc. Maintenance on the clutch is just as important as tuning it.................

-
Old 04-25-2007, 05:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
Here's a good page on clutch tuning:
http://csgbenefits.org/mgt/Clutch.htm

It's important to tune the clutch for your application, then you really need to MAINTAIN the assembly. This is where most guys fall down. They fail to clean it, and it gets oil (from the bearings), then slips and melts. Or they neglect the CB bearings, so they seize and knock you out of the race, etc, etc. Maintenance on the clutch is just as important as tuning it.................

-
Good post Chevy, that's the same site where I got my info. Very detailed!!
Old 04-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

wow, great guys thanks. i have been trying soak up as much info as possible...only been into nitro for about 4 months, still very new to me.