R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-22-2007, 11:39 PM   #1
Tech Adept
Default Steering lost during race

I've got a problem and it's driving me crazy.. I participated in a club race for truggy and when i ran a 10 min heat, there's no response in my steering after 5 minutes.. The throttle was ok. I thought my steering servo (sanwa vx) was gone and so i changed to a brand new servo (sanwa vx) in the 2nd heat.. After 5-6 minutes, it happened again.. There was no response in my steering.. For the third heat, i changed the receiver and yet after 5-6 minutes the steering was again gone.. I'm stumped.. When i checked the receiver battery, it was 80% full.. However, could it be that the receiver battery is faulty? Please advice..
uwadockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:36 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

It may be your epa, that burns your servos.
Taurius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:52 AM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Like the poster above said, check your Steering End Points. Also, since you know something is wrong, take apart the front end and clean and rebuild the servo saver and inspect the parts. When you put everything back together, make sure that nothing is binding. Good Luck!!!
The greatest trick the devil pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist...
I always thought I had a pretty good imagination, but it turned out to be just my imagination.
NOT a member of Team Terribles!
d4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You say there was no response from your steering. Did both servos totally stop working or were they working but wasn't steering?

The reason I ask is that it may be as simple as a slipping servo horn insert spline, the part that goes between the servo output shaft and the servo arm if you use a metal servo arm. Or if you use a plastic one it may be worn out enough so that it slips when heated up from friction.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:39 AM   #5
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

what kind of RX pack is it, is it a 5 cell pack, or those gay 4 cell AA holders? if its the 4 cell thing, take your batteries out, and go outside and throw the holder as far as you can, then go stomp on it, and then pick up the peices and throw them in the garbage, they suck, even thgouh its 80% full, its low voltage since its only 4 cell,

if you have a 5 cell pack, you could have a bad cell, or a broken battery bar, both will give you lower voltage, if you can check the voltage, it should be around 6V, I dont think this would be your problem thgouh, but you could try someone elses pack and see if it makes a difference,

but also like was said above, take the front end off the truck and rebuild it all, and check for binding, also check to make sure your servo saver adjusting nut isn't backed all the way off and dragging on the chaisisi, I've had that happen a couple times, and I was convinced my servo was dead, but it was a really simple fix, made me feel pretty dumb after the 2nd time it happened it kind of really sounds like the servo saver nut to me, so check that first since its an easy fix if it is the problem,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
Tech Adept

It's definitely not the servo as i changed it to a brand new servo during the 2nd heat.. The EPA was set properly too.. I suspect either the receiver battery (hump pack 5 batteries), the crytal or the servo horn.. Thanks for the input guys.. Will let you guys know the problem when i sort it out.. The heat is creating havoc to one of the above because when it's cold, everything is fine..
uwadockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:47 AM   #7
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just went through a very similar situation:

Servos were responding fine for about 10 minutes, then would lose steering and throttle. I was running a 2700 Mah pack. I changed receivers, Rx battery pack, servos. I tested these on a different car and all were in working order.

My problem turned out to be the transmitter battery pack. Although my screen showed I still had voltage in my transmitter, I wasn't. I changed to alkaline batteries and all was fine.
dsl is offline   Reply With Quote