Wiki Posts
Search

sloppy stadium

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)
Default sloppy stadium

i have alot of slop in my front wheels, i had new bearings (as was suggested once) and all new plastic in the front suspension, someone recently suggested the hinge pins...

i have a set of tc3 pins, are those any chance the same pins? if so i might put the new ones in my tc3, and hopefully find a good one from the tc3 to put on the t4....the pin that goes through the steering blocks (i have spent extensive time going through this truck trying to get it ready for the spring season.....)
Old 04-19-2007, 01:38 AM
Tech Regular

I know this sound odd but slop is good. In 10th scale you will have slop in the frontend. In fact you want a free frontend. If you shim your tierods it will bind the kit up.
The one thing you do not want much of is slop in the ball cups. Hold the tire/ spindle firm. Then grab your tie rods and move around. If the ball stud is moving around in the ball cup it is time to change the ball cups. That is one thing you cant to change about every 9/12 race days.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

My truck has alot of play in it only because the guy I bought it from had reamed out all of the hinge pin holes. I'd say you'd want .001 difference between hinge pins and the holes they go in( ex. .125 hinge pin for a .126 hole) , any more than that and it'll feel like crap.

I've seen arms have so much play in them from the factory that the rearend can go from 4 deg. toe in to almost none, simply because of the slop in the arms.

As for the sloppy ball cup, simply insert really small pieces of foam into the cup before installing it onto the ball stud. Works great.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You might have to shim up around your hinge pins and hub carriers that prolly were your getting a little play in the suspension. Try that make sure the suspension freely moves and doens't bind. It will take trial and error before you get the right size shims.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

AE red O-rings from a shock rebuild, placed over a ball stud before putting ball cups on, removes some play without making things bind.

I've used some electric motor shims to take play out of hinge pins/a-arms.