Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mamba Max ESC/5700kV Motor with lipo

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Mamba Max ESC/5700kV Motor with lipo

i've dug out an old hpi mt from the closet and have decided to get it going again. i have 2 questions for those who are experienced with electric offroad.

first, will this speed control and motor have enough starting torque to move this 4 wheel drive truck?? it seems that my current old configuration has the problem with getting going when in sand or even hard dirt. my old configuration was a lrp sr speed conrtol with a trinity 12 turn single motor and standard nimh batteries. i don't have any good nimh batteries just some old 1500mah sticks laying around that i was able to revive with my charger. i can't recall if i've always had the sluggish start but i don't want to spend money on nimh's if i plan on going to lipo's. basically i just want to know if this motor and esc will get this truck going quickly when not on pavement.

second i've been trying to learn about lipo batteries. what's going to give me the best performance with the mamba max esc motor combo?? i was looking at the team orion carbon edition lipo battery. will that do??
Old 04-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

yes that motor should be fine, I dont have any personal experience with that truck, but I would say your sluggish start would be from a) the old batts probally have really low voltage, and b) i'm not sure if its still your old motor or not, but if its still the old one, you probally have corrosion on the comm, and that wont be helping,

for lipo's, I've been using a maxamps 8,000mah 2 cell pack with my mamba max, and I love it, its a little bigger than standard size 6 cell packs thgouh, so you might have to modify the battery tray on your truck, or they also sell other packs that will fit right in, but are smaller capacity,
Old 04-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The orion lipo will do fine... plenty of power.
1.a 12t motor shoudl have moved the truck great, so something was wrong.
2. the 5700 has more than enough power for the truck... in fact it will probalby destroy the drivetrain with a good battery. Make sure you have the slipper working right.
3. your old 1500 packs won't work well even if they do take a charge... and the high power motor will cook them if they do run for more than a couple minutes. You need new batteries... whether nickel or lipo
Old 04-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

If you want a lot of power get a 5700 or 4600kv motor. Then a 3s2p li-po. Thats what I run in my heavy rustler. Loads of power. The secret is in the batteries. Thats the one place not to skimp. They make you or break you. I run a 4600 with the 3s, it makes my truck come to life. Way too much speed, wheelies at every speed except for full throttle (when I manage to get it going that fast).