Wiki Posts
Search

LOOKING FOR HELP??? TRACTION NEED FOR RACE SURFACE

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default LOOKING FOR HELP??? TRACTION NEED FOR RACE SURFACE

Any help is appreciated, our track is dialed when wet but sooooo slippery when it dries out. because of a light coating of sand mix with our clay. we would like to run the track dry is there any thing i could put on it to bring traction out, like calcium cloride (sorry spelling). any help is appreciated
Old 05-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Dont mean to sound rude but isnt that what off road is about? just change to some Ifmar pins or Big shots or maybe even Proline holeshots when the track is dry, makes it challenging, i prefer to drive on a slick surface myself, can make the car carve the corners a lot easier and its a lot more forgiving to drive when landing off big jumps etc. cause the car can give instead of biting in and rolling over.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

Water!

JK - Peat Moss, Clay and Loam. Sand is a tough deal. Does it pack? Does it hold rubber?

Give some more info and we can help you better.
TEX
Old 05-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i would say keep watering it. BUT, if you have to, sugar water. Get one of the pressure sprayers you can find for inseticide at the home depot, and fill it with 3 parts sugar to 1 part water. Lay it on thick, probably 2 coats in the heavier wear areas, and you should be go to go for a few weeks.

A good track is all about how the track owner maintains it. You cant build a track, lay some water down and think its good to go for a few months.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

the track will hold rubber if windy blows layer of sand off and it grovves with lots of cars heat and wind
Old 05-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Well as bigedmond said sugar water
our track is similar in that way it can get a little slick but we sugar water with 3 coats mixing it 3 to 1 using hot water from your sink and it soaks in great which keeps the dirt together without dust and we can use totally bald tires, taper pins, road rages
Old 05-12-2007, 08:18 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Keith: Is this out at Pingree or WWNH?

Seen a similar thing when I was out in Connecticut, and short of watering the track they used the sugar water thing or really cheap bottles of soda sprayed on the track in the groove sections.

Push comes to shove, may need to broom the best driving lines between each full series of race heats. The vehicles should by default clear it out when going through them, especially in the turns. While would be a killer incentive to drive the line as if you don't, you end up in the fluff.

When its dry what tires are you finding hold the line best? Seems like that condition would lend itself well to either a red ifmar pin or a really soft steppin like prolines that isn't too big to bite through the surface fluff, unless it is really extremely hard underneath.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If its real bad? Wouldn't it be better to keep it tilled a and loose?
Minimal water aside from the late night dew that comes up.
If its real hard packed and sand on top, till it and keep it as fine as possible.
Kinda like if it was racing in sand it self.
Would that work?
Old 05-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Apologies for a little off topic question,

Anyone remembers the worlds off road that was held in detroit? How comes they dont make tracks like that no more.

To me, that was real and proper off road racing surface. Shame really
Old 05-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Yeah, I miss the loamy dirt tracks as well...Bring back Schumacher CAT Spikes! LOL

Keith - I heard that laundry detergent soaked in the track with water will help. Also add more gypsum.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

We used to drag the surface with a flat plate with spikes an inch and a half long.
Loosens the top surface.
Then the dew would come up at night and boy that was some good traction.
Sand on top of a packed surface is hard to drive on.
You cant put the power down.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Our track owner has tried pouring sugar water on the track. I believe that made it good for the cars, but the turn marshals were slipping on it and made it kind of dangerous!
Old 05-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Thats odd, you would think they would have a sticky feel running across the track.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
Yeah, I miss the loamy dirt tracks as well...Bring back Schumacher CAT Spikes! LOL

Keith - I heard that laundry detergent soaked in the track with water will help. Also add more gypsum.

Theres the word i was looking for "Loamy"!

That kindda surface was a lot kinder to cars but is trickier on the throttle and was a lot more fun to race on. Actually when the loose dirt comes off and becomes packed, it gets faster and soft/med pins compounds were better to use
Old 05-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Evil twins hooked pretty well when our clay track was real dusty/sandy. We also cleaned the tires with simple green to get them to stick even more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.