Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits. >

Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits.

Like Tree1Likes

Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits.

I think it will be the next wave of the future!!! We had at least 10 different designs running at Washtenaw over the last two seasons.
But I also see no reason why you can't run Nitro AND electric with the same chassis!!!

RC Product Designs is now taking orders for Electric conversion kits for 1/8th scale buggies.
For the time being, I will make these kits to order with about a 4-6 week turn around.

The components designed to allow you to choose the electronics you want to use with the conversion.

The kits pictured are the Ofna Hyper 7. RC Product Designs EH7 kit
consists of Aluminum Motor Mount, Carbon fiber Top plate, Carbon Fiber Servo Mount, ESC Mount, and Nylatron splash guards with integrated Battery boxes and a plastic gear adaptor for the standard Ofna diff.

Losi 8ight. RC Product Designs EL8 kit.
Kit consists of Aluminum Motor Mount, Delrin battery tray and Aluminum top plate. Also available will be an additional Delrin adaptor plate to mount the Novak HV Maxx ESC if that is the system you choose to use.

These are precision machined kits that require NO modification to your 1/8th scale buggy chassis. They are designed to fit ANY 1" or 25mm motor mounting configuration. They are complete bolt in conversions using existing screws from your buggies.
The EH7 Kit is designed to two batteries to balance the chassis. You can run either conventional sub C cells or LiPo's
The EL8 is designed with one battery tray with LiPo's in mind.

The EH7 is shown with a Novak HV Maxx system in place, but will accept any brushless system you choose. It is designed to accept a plastic 32 pitch spur.
The EL8 with a Neu motor with a Mamba Max ESC. The HV Maxx will fit in the Losi. It will require minor trimming of some ribs of the heat sink near the chassis and the diff with a dremel or saw.

The cars shown here are my racing EH7 and The EA8 kit. I also have designs for the Associated RC8, Kysoho 777, Mugen MBX5 and 4, Jammin EX1CR and soon the Xray buggy.

Check out www.rcproductdesigns.com for pricing and more pics.
and facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Boring...2F365709845453
There is also a Frequently asked questions area on my site with answers to many of your questions.
Dan
Attached Thumbnails Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits.-eh7-3a.jpg   Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits.-electric-group-2a.jpg   Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits.-ea8-1.jpg   Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits.-ehbd8-1a.jpg   Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits.-ehbd8t-1.jpg  

Last edited by DJ1978; 02-05-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Will there be a way to adjust brake bias front to rear on the 8ight? So far, it looks like the motor will be the only way to slow the car down. In competitive racing, brake bias can mean the difference between a dialed car, and one that isn't.

I'm very interested in the system, and recently saw a similar conversion at a local race. It did very well, and was by no mean underpowered. I'd also like to know what kind of performance you get when using the Novak HV system in an 8ight.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Yes, I would recommend saling a kit that will allow you to use a brake servo. It will help to produce more battery life and it will put less stress on the esc actualy giving it a chance to cool off when you hit the brakes. However, one thing that I will mention is that on some chasis not running a brake servo will allow you to move things such as the battery closer to the middle of the chasis.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thumbs up Brake Bias

We have not experienced a need for retaining the brake assembly on the chassis with the Electric buggies we have run so far. The speed controls have been able to handle all the power and breaking necessary to make the buggies competitive.
On the Losi buggy it MIGHT be feasable to leave the servo in. It is not possible in the Hyper 7 or Most other buggies I have worked on due to the diff location and where you have to put the batteries.
We have not run the 8ight with the HV Maxx system in it yet. It has performed flawlessly in the Hyper 7. Proper gearing is a must with all these buggies.
Not sure how the brake control to the servo would work in harmony with the brake programmed in the ESC.
Dan
Old 04-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I'll keep you guys in mind especially if you do a conversion for the CEN Matrix. I saw a guy online who did one, video too and it was a missile. The CEN Matrix also can be had really cheap, is extremely durable, and compatible with Kyosho parts too.

I think the guy also was able to maintain the brake bias by doing another servo tray. Its up on radiocontrolzone.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

typicaly you will dial brake out of the front end and dial brake in to the rear end so that when you hit the brakes the front of the car comes down. This gives you the traction needed for turns w/ a lot of setups which is perfect because the only time you are braking is when you enter turns. I am sure that there are plenty of setups to be tried though. A properly setup brushless buggy will smoke an 1/8th scale. I have seen plenty of setups put out over 2000 watts of power. That is nearly 3 horse power. Not even the speculated power results of a vz-t put down that much power.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Keep in mind that using the center diff for braking is not such a bad idea anyways. Depending on what oil you put in it, you can still dial the braking that way. The diffs will tend to unload when under stress and send power to the wheels with less or more grip (think torsen)

So that way, you can still control everything and get it all together.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Tech Champion

I personally, and I know I'm not alone, NEED to be able to adjust brake bias front to rear, and I don't want to have to rebuild my diffs for every track condition. If I can't adjust the brake bias just like I do with the nitro motor(a few turns of the adjustment collar), then the electric conversion is useless to me for racing. I imagine tons of bashers and or new drivers will undoubtably enjoy the endless hours of fun without any real maintainance that a brushless conversion may offer. Racers will need the brake bias feature.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by R40Victim
I personally, and I know I'm not alone, NEED to be able to adjust brake bias front to rear, and I don't want to have to rebuild my diffs for every track condition. If I can't adjust the brake bias just like I do with the nitro motor(a few turns of the adjustment collar), then the electric conversion is useless to me for racing. I imagine tons of bashers and or new drivers will undoubtably enjoy the endless hours of fun without any real maintainance that a brushless conversion may offer. Racers will need the brake bias feature.
Electric 1/10 scale 4wd buggies do not use or need brake bias. I'd try it the way it is.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

So what? My 8th scale buggy does, and I depend on that adjustability.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

and thats also a nitro vehicle NOT AN ELECTRIC electrics wont need brake bias
Old 04-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, you could always use a oneway in the front as well, to favor turn in...

And quite frankly, I've seen electric 1/8 conversions in the hands of very good drivers that all said that they couldnt drive it because of the brakes.. and quite magically they turned faster with the electric versions... so
Old 04-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Tech Champion

and thats also a nitro vehicle NOT AN ELECTRIC electrics wont need brake bias
If the only change is the power plant, then yes, I will. Changing the powerplant to something that blindly applies brakes to front and rear will NOT work for me and many other 8th scale buggy drivers. I like the idea, but I can't use it if it doesn't match the adjustability of my current setup.

Well, you could always use a oneway in the front as well, to favor turn in...
I use one-way diffs in my on road stuff, and like them. At first, I didn't understand why they weren't more popular in 8th scale. After racing for about a year, I do... it's brake bias adjustability

And quite frankly, I've seen electric 1/8 conversions in the hands of very good drivers that all said that they couldnt drive it because of the brakes.. and quite magically they turned faster with the electric versions... so
Different strokes for different folks. If they turned faster laps, it may or may not be the brake bias that makes the case. A difference in power delivery can make or break the performance of a car with the same driver on the same track, hence all the variables in Clutch Tunning. I've never driven a converted 8th scale buggy. I do know, however, that if I can't dial out some front braking power(not all, as a one way would do), then I can't drive the car as fast I can now. How you enter a corner is a VERY BIG PART of what allows you to go fast around a race course. Without control over brake bias, I loose a BIG CHUNK of what I adjust to make it handle the way I want/need in order to be fast.

I want to be clear, I'm not attacking the idea. If anything, I'd like to help it along. I want the convenience of electric power combined with the durablity and popularity of 8th scale. I feel like it'd help expand the hobby, because there are people that avoid it due to the entire "Care and Maintainance" of nitro motors. I have only one request, control over the brake bias with disc brakes. The infinite adjustablity of the dual disk brake system is far too great to just drop it with an electric motor...
Old 04-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Tech Adept

1/10th scale 4wd cars don't have any other brake than the speed controller correct? How would it really effect the 1/8th by not having it either?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

well i race 8th scale buggies also and eventhough the brake bias on it helps I never seen or heard needing it on a electric buggy of any kind the setup is completely different than a gas buggy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.