Search

GV Rhino

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 11:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default GV Rhino

Hi all,

I am wandaring if anyone else has one of these 1/10th scale 4wd electric off-road buggy?

Here is a picture of mine.

From a newbies perspective, the car is designed pretty well. The steering arms and suspension arms seem pretty strong as I have tumbled, flipped and rolled the car several times without any breakages. However what is with the stupid main gear and motor pinion gear setup? The gears are exposed to every bit of dirt and rocks that get inside the car. Within two runs on the dirt, the gears were shot! Does anyone else have this problem with any other RC car?

Cheers!
Adz
Old 04-07-2007, 01:49 AM
Tech Master

Does anyone even know of the car?
Old 04-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Surely somoene has something to say about the GV Rhino?
Old 04-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

never heard of this car... it's really 1/10?

where did you get it and who is "GV"?
Old 04-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
never heard of this car... it's really 1/10?

where did you get it and who is "GV"?
Hi glassdoctor,

Yes the car is a 1/10th scale buggy. The wheelbase is very skinny, but I believe this makes 4wd vehicles track better around corners?

GV stands for 'Great Vigor'. I assume they must be a relitively new company. Their website is www.great-vigor.com.tw
Some of the hobby shops here in Australia are selling them. The main distributer is 'model engines'. Website... www.modelengines.com.au

I am only new to the sport and bought the Rhino based on how well built it looks. Allthough as I said in my original post, the fact the main gear and pinion gear are exposed to all the debri is a major design flaw! Luckily I have access to a machine shop, so I am currently building a full enclosure for the gears. I believe once this is achieved, the little 4wd buggy will be a solid durable racer.

By the way, is there any Aussies on this forum?
Old 04-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well... open gears are typical on 4wd cars. The front and rear diffs are normally sealed pretty well but the main gears are not covered.

Maybe a simple lexan shiled/deflector would help... or if you can do a full enclosure that would be even better.

Most cars like this are made for racing on dirt and it's not a problem. You must be running where there are a lot of small rocks or sand?
Old 04-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
Well... open gears are typical on 4wd cars. The front and rear diffs are normally sealed pretty well but the main gears are not covered.

Maybe a simple lexan shiled/deflector would help... or if you can do a full enclosure that would be even better.

Most cars like this are made for racing on dirt and it's not a problem. You must be running where there are a lot of small rocks or sand?
Firstly thanks for the reply glassdoctor.

I am gobsmacked that open gears are typical on 4wd cars!!!

I am running my car on a proper RC car track. Meaken park at Slacks Creek, Brisbane, QLD, Australia. By the way, I absolutely envy the tracks over there in the USA!

The front and rear diffs are sweet and enclosed in a housing. The open gears have a very fine tooth size(0.5 module or 50.8 DP), so I think this doesn't help it.

After killing the first set of gears, I ordered and replaced them, only to get into my 4th lap at the track and find the new gears are now also cactus!
I had a look at some of the other 4wd cars and the gear teeth are a lot bigger.
So anyway, I am going to fix this problem by making a full enclosure. I am half finished and so far its coming up sweet. Making it out of 2 and 3mm ally. Being a fitter and machinist and having access to a complete machine shop, makes this a very possible solution.

Thanks again for your replies.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

G.V is only sold in Australia so 98% of people on here wont know what it is. You may have better luck over at http://www.ausrc.com or http://www.rcracer.com.au which are australian forums

Cheers
Old 04-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy
G.V is only sold in Australia so 98% of people on here wont know what it is. You may have better luck over at http://www.ausrc.com or http://www.rcracer.com.au which are australian forums

Cheers
Thanks heaps Drift_Buggy. I will check out those forums and join up. Thanks for everyones time.