Wiki Posts
Search

I wanna build a 4 stroke gas truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default I wanna build a 4 stroke gas truck

My race buddy and I were looking to possibly try building four stroke gas trucks. We've both seen it done in a magazine so we know it is possible. Just wondering if anyone here could possibly direct me somewhere we can get information or help doing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sounds of a "thumper" cruising around the track would be pretty cool.

Thanks in advance...
Old 04-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Great idea! We discussed this at my local tracks forum. The problem is there really isnt a comparable four stroke that will "just bolt in".

Back in the late 90's California was going to ban 2 strokes from riding on public riding grounds. This threat prompted motorcyle/atv manufacturers to develop a lightweight, yet powerful high revving four stroke.

Its my opinion that some serious R & D needs to be done in order for a lpowerful high revving four stroke.

I would love to own thumper gas truck
Old 04-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There was a guy at Cullman rc hobbies (in AL) several years ago who had a killer little 4 stroke GT. He had one of those 3 in 1 tabletop rigs and was always coming up with new intake and exhaust manifolds and playing with gearing until he had that thing screaming and running with the 2 strokes. He went with us to sugar hill (GA) and his truck was the hit of the race. Everyone wanted to see the "chainsaw" truck.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

o.s makes the fs 26, which should be a direct bolt in into a gt. just bolt it in and gear it as high as you can
Old 04-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rocket42
o.s makes the fs 26, which should be a direct bolt in into a gt. just bolt it in and gear it as high as you can
I cant see it being that easy. The little motor was designed to turn a prop. Way more load to run a vehicle then just a prop. IMO whatever engine you use, consider the load your putting on it. And tempature....that will be a problem.....barely any cooling fins on aircraft engines.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Tech Legend

Last month ,at the #1 NCT Serier`s race at Peel-It Raceway a dude had a 4 stroke entered in the 1/10 gas truck gas...

Ran Ok , quite a piece of work....
Old 04-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Talk to this guy. His name is Damon and he has done it in with a GT2.

DP-buggyboy
Old 04-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Tech Addict

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47677

Plenty of info about thumpers in there, and conversions

OS made a car specific FS26 as well as the airplane version
Old 04-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks guys, I pmed this Damon guy yesterday but still haven't heard anything back from him yet. I have found that the OS FS26C vII would for sure be the motor to use but it is not listed at Tower Hobbies nor the OS website. I hope that they haven't discontinued it...

I talked to my good race buddy yesterday of this subject, he thinks that you have to run some type of fan on the crank somehow to help with the cooling duty. I think some type of fuel pump is in order as well to make it work.

There is a thread here that Damon used to show his old GT I believe but it is hard to see in the pictures what all it involves, that is why I would like to speak with someone personally who has built this conversion sucessfully.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Some guy on the Traxxas Revo website built a 4 stroke Revo. Use the search feature on there. There are even videos of it running with other Revos. It was at no disadvantage and sounded really cool.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Probably Damon. His Revo came first then his GT2. His revo has insane torque.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

4 stroke revo

http://www.rcccs.com/index.php?showtopic=1013

4 stroke GT2

http://www.rcccs.com/index.php?showtopic=1481

Lotsa customization. They do sound friggin awesome, and they run extremely well.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

his first 4stoker was a old Kyosho Ultima gas truck. it is in XRC a couple months ago.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Damon is a master at modifying, both his gt2 and Revo are awesome and run great. Make sure you are not behind him in the loamy stuff or your filter is toast!
Old 04-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cwalters
Thanks guys, I pmed this Damon guy yesterday but still haven't heard anything back from him yet. I have found that the OS FS26C vII would for sure be the motor to use but it is not listed at Tower Hobbies nor the OS website. I hope that they haven't discontinued it...

I talked to my good race buddy yesterday of this subject, he thinks that you have to run some type of fan on the crank somehow to help with the cooling duty. I think some type of fuel pump is in order as well to make it work.

There is a thread here that Damon used to show his old GT I believe but it is hard to see in the pictures what all it involves, that is why I would like to speak with someone personally who has built this conversion sucessfully.
You really need to read the entire thread on the 4 stroke thread that fathead posted above. I know its a lot to go through, but those guys really have put in the time and effort and have been kind enough to share there experiances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.