Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help me choose a buggy

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 11:06 PM
Tech Master

Default Please help me choose a buggy

Question is for my Step fathers son, He too has never owned a car before and he will be racing these cars like myself for the 1st time, He doesn't want to spend much money 1st of on a car. He likes the buggy class so i'm looking to see what is the best choice for him in a RTR buggy, With what i can see you have a choice of the Kyosho EP Ultima RB Sports RTR, Traxxas Bandit RTR w/Radio, DuraTrax Evader EP BX w/ESC RTR, Are there any other buggies which are good value for money, Also if anyone thinks that a kit would be affordable and just add the radio,batt.,etc etc. His budget is around $200..
Thanks
Alan.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:34 PM
Tech Adept

those are good beginner buggies, i would recomend a rc10b3,b4, or a team losi buggy if you want to get into serious racing
Old 03-30-2003, 07:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Buggies

I concur about the getting into serious racing by buying the Associated or Losi kits. Or perhaps one of the other more race ready buggies from other manufacturers. If you even think you might want to race and be competitive in your class, then buy a race kit. However if you choose to only play in the street and in your yard or track, then any of those kits are fine choices. I would buy the Duratrax or the traxxas of the kits you mentioned. Traxxas vehicles are certainly tough for bashing, and the new Duratrax buggy looks like it might be fairly competitive in the right hands. You will never be dissapointed with a Losi or Associated buggy, they are very fast from the box to the track.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:45 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for your replies. I've told my step father to buy his son the Traxxas Bandit RTR to start him off on...Seems that is the cheapest and still pretty tough and could be competitve going by what oats77us said....

I'm getting the Losi triple x brian kinwald edition and the Losi Matt francis triple xt stadium truck
My step father is getting the Brian Kinwald edition as well to start racing with.
None of us has ever owned or raced RC cars before so might as well start with the best to save the money than having to upgrade all the time.....I will also order a B4 just incase it is better than the Losi.

With my Losi Buggy i'm putting in a Novak GT7 ESC, JR XS-3 Radio, Trinity P2k2 Pro Stock Motor, Battery Team Orion Sanyo RC-3300HV V-Max Team 7.2V #11362, JR Z4750 Ultra Race Servo....

Is the set up that i've chosen be a good pick for a short clay dusty track?

Would you recommened anything other than these things? How about the battery? Is there a better one?

With my Stadium Truck i'm putting in the Novak Explorer II ESC with the same motor, battery etc etc.....

My step father's Losi buggy will include the Novak Explorer II ESC and the same Trinity motor but with a Team Orion V-Maxx Super Duty 2400 E-Maxx Battery and just one of the cheapest Futaba Radio's....

Are my choices ok with everything?

Also, What spare parts should i also order when i place my order?
New bodies?, new tyres?, extra body pins? what else should i get?
Also i need help on a Charger. I don't have a CLUE on what to get there.....
Thanks
Alan.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

there is no really good rtr buggy. I suggest buying the new b-4 from associated it is the best buggy out there. if they are just starting out though i suggest buying a truck either a losi xxx-t or an associated T-3. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Instead of installing a Explorer II into your xxx-t, I suggest the Novak Dually, it has no motor limit and is much better than the Explorer II. I suggest that you also propose this idea to your step father. You can get the Dually for around 90 bucks. For a charger, go to

http://secure400.automatedshops.com/...353/index.html

And then look at the chargers section. I think that the 16x4 would be a good choice for you, it's a very good charger and not to expensive. Don't get the 16x3, it will not be able to charge you 3300mah pack. It will also serve your racing needs for a long time. I suggest you get atleast one more battary pack too. If you can afford it, get 2 more. It's VERY helpful to have multiple packs when racing. If your getting unassembled packs, make sure you get the stuff to assemble them (battary bars, soldering iron, solder, wire, battary plugs). One more thing, instead of using the Tamiya plugs that most battarys, speed controls, and chargers have. Use Deans Ultra plugs, they have a much lower resistence and will never melt like the Tamiya plugs do. The GT7 doesn't come with battary plugs either so you would have to install them. Good luck racing!! Its a blast!
Old 04-03-2003, 04:36 AM
Tech Master

Done, When i speak to my hobby shop i will change to the Dually ESC and maybe change to the new B4 buggy. I would be the only one with the new B4 at the RC club that we will be joining....

With the charger, I haven't been to that site before. Thanks heaps for the link, I'm decided to go with the Indi 16X9v6 #E2026 1-8 Cells AC/DC Computerized Charger (110v - 240v). I've gone for that one because it has dual power supply so i can use it for the 240v that we use in Australia.....

I told my step father that you would suggest that he should go for the dually as well but he said that he will only stick with the stock class of racing and that would do him.....

Anyway's Thanks again for the advice and tips.....Really big help for me. Not to make the wrong choices......

Man......I'm learning HEAPS of new things everyday....It's great.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by losi4life
if they are just starting out though i suggest buying a truck
Why?

I've been racing Electric carpet touring (TC3) and now want to get into electric offroad.

I was looking at the new B4, Why might I want a stadium truck instead?
Old 04-03-2003, 05:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

toprowseat- I think that losi4life said that because usually beginners crash quite a bit more and buggys have the exposed front shocks which can get damaged more easily then in a truck where they're covered. Since your already experienced at racing on-road I think that you will be good at driving off-road too. The B4's shocks are also behind the shock tower which will help protect them. I think thats why he said that.

stonzy- no problem, thats what these forums are for after all!!
Old 04-07-2003, 12:52 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

if you're a good driver then get a buggy if not get a truck...just my 2 cent
Old 04-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Tech Rookie

If you wanting to get into racing and learning how to "wrench" your own car, I would suggest staying away from the RTR line of RC cars.

But, if you get into RTR, prepurchase every plastic part you can think of and listen to your LHS about the suggested hop up parts for stability, mobility and aerodynamics. Basically, get everything you see on the eye candy wall....
Old 04-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Here is my very 1st order of RC stuff.....

My order
1 x Losi XXX Kinwald Edition
1 x Losi Matt Francis Edition
1 x Novak GT7 speed control
1 x Losi wrench set
1 x Losi wheel wrench
1 x JR XS-3 radio 27Mhz
2 x P2k2 SERIES motors
1 x Novak Dually speed control
2 x Peak 2400s x 2 (total 4)
1 x B&T 3300 GP packs @ 1.18 volts
1 x JR receiver 27Mhz
1 x JR 8450 servo 98 oz/in at .08 sec
1 x Integy 16X9 charger
8 x Deans ultra plugs @
1 x Kinwald tire glue
1 x Losi shock oil 30WT.
1 x Losi shock oil 40WT.
1pr Losi #A-7369 X-2000 red compound tyres/wheels
1pr Losi #A-7364 IFMAR Stud in red compound tyres/wheels

Step fathers order
1 x Losi XXXX Kinwald Edition
1 x Traxxas Bandit RTR w/Radio for his son to start out on
1 x Novak Explorer
1 x Futaba radio
1 x Peak 2400 batteries (4 total)
1 x P2k2 SERIES motor
1pr Losi #A-7369 X-2000 red compound tyres/wheels
1pr Losi #A-7364 IFMAR Stud in red compound tyres/wheels
Traxxas Bandit RTR w/Radio for his son to start out on

Just like to thank everyones advice on products to buy.

Thanks racerdx6 for advising me about the ESC's, Charger etc..

Thanks oats77us for telling me about the RTR, The RTR is for my step fathers son and will be racing but he is still very young and doesn't deserve a race kit LOL But i'm glad to hear that the Traxxas are durable.

And losi4life, I tried to change my Losi xxx KE to the B4 but they sold out of their stock so that's why i've stuck with the Losi.

Now i just have to pay for the damn thing hahahaha.

Last edited by Stonzy; 04-10-2003 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:19 PM
Tech Adept

dang, ur gonna hafta to have like two thousand bucks
Old 04-07-2003, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Yep, Starting up in a new hobby is always expensive if you really want to be competitive and not look like a newbie

Total cost $2500 that's with UPS freight to Australia.

I knew it was going to cost me this much to start with because we don't have any Radios, Batteries, Chargers etc etc...Those things really cost heaps but they are a one time expense apart from the batteries which should last a couple of years maybe.

After we settle down into the hobby, We will just need little things now.. And if we need a new kit, We just need to buy the kit, servo and reciever and another motor to get going..

Thanks
Alan.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

One more thing, always make sure you discharge you battaries in some way (running them down in your car until it will no longer spin the wheels, discharging it on your charger, or using a discharger device). Nicd battaries develope memory and will not perform at their best, I also advise discharging your Nimh packs too. I use the Deans 10 Bulb Discharger/Car Stand. It discharges my batteries well and also serves as a handy car stand. You can buy them as a kit or assembled (if you dont have experiance with soldering things I advise the assembled version because its well worth the 8 extra bucks). So if you haven't ordered your stuff yet you might wanna consider picking one up too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.