Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Picking a Lipo pack, trying to decide on brand

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Thanks for the info guys. Lots to think about.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i wish someone made a saddle pack with a hard case, just to put my mind a little at ease, i have the maxamps on order and am looking forward to racing the bj4 with mamba max 7700 in it
Old 03-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Tech Legend

Curious, I wonder why someone couldn't just make a case? Theres got to be some spare plastic out somewhere that has similar dimensions.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losiguy69
i wish someone made a saddle pack with a hard case, just to put my mind a little at ease, i have the maxamps on order and am looking forward to racing the bj4 with mamba max 7700 in it
hey losiguy I have the 5500 saddle pack in my bj4.It fits nice and secure.Just have to mod the battery slots.I cut mine out and put a flat piece of carbon fiber in bottom of each tray.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
put some steel armor plating inside the body... ?

In 1/10 buggy I have never seen anything come through a body to damge something inside... in many years of racing.

Seriously... a body + underbody... nothing to worry about. If the crash is THAT bad, then you will have plenty of damage besides a bruised lipo pack.
I have. The damage is never catastrophic but these cars didn't have lipo's either. Anybody ever see a battery get out from under it's strap in a XXX4 or a solder tab knocked off a cell? This is certainly not a common occurance but given lipo's somewhat more delicate nature a little more precaution is not a bad idea. Guys I know have made better retention mechanisims for thir BJ4's and an SB Sport V2 just to guarantee that the battery never escapes the chassis.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Legend

I'll be doing some of the SB V2 changes that guy did, though I will have to look into something other than modding the chassis like he did. But the other part I can do.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

If you guys are worried about quality, Thunder Power is the best in the industry and they have a very good customer service department too!
Old 03-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Davidka
I have. The damage is never catastrophic but these cars didn't have lipo's either. Anybody ever see a battery get out from under it's strap in a XXX4 or a solder tab knocked off a cell? This is certainly not a common occurance but given lipo's somewhat more delicate nature a little more precaution is not a bad idea. Guys I know have made better retention mechanisims for thir BJ4's and an SB Sport V2 just to guarantee that the battery never escapes the chassis.
I have broken several T-4 chassis in half and have had the battery totally ejected from the T-4 in numerous crashes and have yet to see one burn, ignite, smoke or even blow up in the 3 1/2 years I have used them. Got a race tomorrow at the Farm II racetrack with 23 stadium trucks that will be narrowed down to 15 in a 20 minute "A" main with all using either the MaxAmps 2S 8000 or the Thunder Power TP8000-2S4P batteries. Even the "B" main will be 15 minutes long with 2 bump ups!
Old 03-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Batteries ripping out of the cars is totally different than something punchuring through a body etc to get to the lipo pack. That's a battery holding issue... which can be addressed and prevented.

You would have to basicly break the car in half like craps said... to seriously endanger the battery.

You are more likely to get in a wreck on the way to the track than you are to have a lipo pack get destroyed in the car.... that's all I'm saying. Make sure the pack is mounted very securely and call it good.

I have never seen a battery bar get knocked off, sorry But I have seen three cells of a 6 cell pack hang completely out of a T4 during a race... due to the design of the battery mounting system. After that we came up with a fix for it... never will happen again. He finished the race btw...