Wiki Posts
Search

jato tire issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default jato tire issues

Well I have a Jato with 2.2 rims, ribbed front and pin rears. I removed stock 2.8 street slicks and wanted a more dirt track set-up. I used Traxxas 2.2 rims and proline tires and inserts. The Jato takes off so violently that I can't keep the beads glued. I've used thick,thin and every other kind of ca glue. I can only get it to last a tankfull or two. Then I get it up to about 25 mph and kick her and sure as allways that noise of a tire flappin'. Is there better 2.2 offroad pins tires I could use? Do I have to use 2.8 Traxxas style wheels and tires?
Old 03-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Try a new set... and prep the wheel and tire. Clean both tire and rim with solvent, and scuff the rim where it's glued.

Thin CA is probably better because it will wick farther into the bead. Get the glue to penetrate so it's not just right at the edge of the rim. Then once it's glued, run a little extra CA around the rim where the tire meets the rim.

The tires should stay on pretty well... even if they are ballooned out like saucers...
Old 03-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I would try this:

Buy either proline or losi tire glue. Do not skimp here, use the right stuff.

scuff up the surface of where the tire is going to mount on the rim.

Take rubbing alcohol and clean that rim surface really well where the tire is going to go.

Do the same to the tire.

The goal is to remove any stuff that will prevent a good bond.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Addict

I did everything you mentioned pretty much the first time they where mounted. I'm not going out and getting another set to watch them fail aswell. I'll take off the tires and try "scuffing" the bead areas though, this is something I haven't done.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Normally scotch brite pad etc would be ok... but since they have been glued already I would use some sandpaper and scuff em good.... also try to get all the old glue off the tires too. Dremel sanding drum is good for that.

I use Losi thin glue... good stuff.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Tech Addict

gotcha glassdocter, I'll use my dremel and get the rims in mint shape for mounting. I guess I'll have to wait to order special tire glue then. I was told, and allways thought reg ca glue was good enof. Thnx Cain and Doc for the advice, I'll take extra,extra care in remounting them back on they way you two said. Just never had anything spin a tire so voilently before like the jato does. By the way is there such a thing as a belted 2.2 step pin offroad tire???? just a thought......cause there should be
Old 03-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

You can use strapping or duct tape on the inside of the tires to "belt" them.

I have never done this but some swear by it for high speed running.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Remember to let the glue dry for a day or two or atleast overnight.

I use Losi Med glue, blue bottle.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

go to nitrohouse.com on the upper right there is a link to get video help. they have a nice vid of how to glue tires. that will help out alot, also that is alot of motor for 2.2 tires sizes and you may still have troubles. good luck with it.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

Ok used your guys tips posted. thnx again. So I'm letting them "cure" good. I used a mini wire brush for a dremel on the bead part of rims. Looked nice and clean, and scruffed nicley. I used Losi thin CA tire glue,waited 2 hours and hit them with another shot of ca. So if the lil' buggers rip off the rim this time I'm goin' back to try tape trick the glassdoc recomended. I woulda tried this right off, makes alot of sence, but alas you posted after I cleaned and glued them allready . I was even thinking the foam inserts could be a major factor...
Old 03-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Tech Addict

Ok guys let the losi tire glue set-up well over a day. Had no issues of tires breaking the beads, thnx cain and glassdoc . Now they can balloon up without flyin apart. They just seem to "grow" to big at high speeds causing the rear of the jato to become unstable. So I'm just going to find some different thicker sidewall tires for the rear, since the step pins are almost gone anyhow . They sure didn't last long at all on this baby .
Old 03-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Tech Adept

try drilling some holes in the wheel to let the air out, like in this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vmWf...o%5Fhelp%2Ehtm
Old 03-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Tech Addict

Thnx for that killer link Apexs! Very cool to watch the way he mounts tires and the tricks he uses. But my problem with the jato is that it was spinning the tire so fast they just ballooned up huge and break the bead. I tried all the tips you guys gave me but the last time the bead didn't break, the damn rubber sidewall ripped? The compound of these proline lugnuts is just to soft and thin for the jato. I put some proline 2.2 trac ta gator tires BashemSmashem recomended. These tires where awsome for the jato and are a harder thicker rubber compound. So the issue of the tires blowing off the rims is gone!!!!!!!!!!!! Thnx for all the input guys.... to bad picking a better tire off the batt coulda saved me the fustration

Last edited by steelhawke; 11-09-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

Ouch!! Sorry to hear all the work.... ended up with shredded tires.

But at least you got the glue issue fixed.

A buddy of mine just got some dirtworks tires for his Jato and he really likes them.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:50 AM
Tech Addict

LOL never fails, thats why I have a love/hate thing for RC's. You know something is going to go bad, but you do it anyways. I picked out the proline lugnuts before I even ran the car with the motor fully broke in. If I would've relaxed and waited to see the car's full power before picking a tire everything woulda turned out alot better, er umm and cheaper ! But Alas, I have gained knowledge! I now know the CORRECT way to mount tires.... Simply squirting glue between the rim and tire isn't good enough or the correct way at all... THNX guys the 37yrd padawan,, steelhawke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.