Search

Sealing motor & carb !

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Sealing motor & carb !

Hello everyone,

I have decided that this rebuild I am going to go through my motor and seal up everything tight.I have a V-Spec with a stock carb.The motor is sealed good but when I got to the carb I found a huge leak on the head side.After I resealed the carb that leak was gone.Shoot I have another leak it is located in the slide shaft for the throttle,underneath the boot.The main question I have is how do I fix this leak since I can`t really use any sealer there because it moves in and out opening and closing the venturi ???Please help
Old 03-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Oh ya,I also found a leak in the fuel filter so I think I am going filter less from now on !!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I wouldn't worry about the leak around the slide valve (or a rotary barrel as well for other carbs). The only thing you need to worry about are leak below the carb. Any air pulled in through the slide is still going through the carb so it is much less of an issue than a leak anywhere else. The only places I ever seal my motors are around the fuel nipple on the carb, and the base of the carb. It's seldom that the backplate needs to be sealed, but I always do it if I ever remove it. You should also always use new head shims if you remove it as well.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:23 AM
Tech Elite

I am trying not to worry about it but I want this thing to be as solid as possible.Thanks for your thoughts on this subject and I also hope there are more comments to come !
Old 03-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Tech Initiate

buy new carb
Old 03-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Tech Initiate

try a zip tie
Old 03-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

I know for sure that I am not going to buy a new carb as it is very new itself.A ziptie ??????? You must not understand the question at all .Thanks gubbs for your comments though!
Old 03-10-2007, 04:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Folks ,when you remove your carb to re seal it make sure you also reseal the sinch bolt that holds it tight ,both sides!
Also if the carb slide is loose in any way ,it will eventually cause engine tune troubles and possibly stick, BAD! It will also suck in fine dust and burn up your mill . So keep things sealed and filters maintained for many gallons of fun !