R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree37Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #5656
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 184
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default

What do you think of rips on a clay/clayish tracks versus barcodes?
__________________
Earning a well known Anglo Saxton two word phrase. The second of the words is of course "you"
DSouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #5657
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,001
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

any word on a finnisher for the ZX5? I had to get a bulldog because you guys dont have one yet.
__________________
Kyosho, Lunsford Racing, Express Motorsports, Dibrino Designs.
C_Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #5658
PW
Tech Elite
 
PW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Groveland, FL
Posts: 4,393
Send a message via AIM to PW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSouza View Post
What do you think of rips on a clay/clayish tracks versus barcodes?
Can you be a little more specific; like indoor wet clay or wet dirt? Outdoor red clay?

Quote:
any word on a finnisher for the ZX5? I had to get a bulldog because you guys dont have one yet.
Unfortunately not; it's basically on the back-burner right now.
__________________
Paul Wynn

JConcepts - Team Associated - Reedy - XP - TSR Products - MIP - Stickit1
P1 Brand - "If it's only for fun; then take out the transponder?!"
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #5659
Tech Champion
 
fq06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,628
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Can someone simply put a color to the plastic in wings already?!!

Really, maybe a smokey white like we already do with a scuff pad on new wings anyway, black... a blue... or whatever color.
Almost all of us scuff wings to give them some contrast for visibility on the track. Why not have that done from the first step? Instead of clear, mold a colored lexan.
Here's someone doing it in the UK, but you can't get them here. Their 10 for the wing and 10 shipping, that's $32 for one wing or $48 for two wings. Not gonna do that.

They have other great wing design thoughts also but maybe manufacturers can copy them... but color can't be protected.
http://l-m-racing.co.uk/products/ind...&product_id=62

Maybe it's already been done in the US and didn't sell, maybe this is an old thought. But why not at least do a opaque white that is about the same as a scuffed up clear wing. Nothing to do at the track when swapping out to a fresh wing... unwrap, ream holes and mount.

If you do colors, do me a favor and make a wing for the B44.2 in blue first... I know, selfish
__________________
BCE SCT410 / Hobbywing 3656sd ~ RX8.2
DEX210 / Trinity 17.5 ~ RS.2
Westcoast Raceway (R.I.P.) | SMC | PowerLab

Last edited by fq06; 12-11-2012 at 09:39 PM.
fq06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #5660
Tech Elite
 
elex300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,951
Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default

Thank you Paul for hooking me up with those Gold Presure Points this past weekend. They were definately money on my SC at Shiverville.
__________________
Erik Everett
EZ Customs (Rc Painting) www.facebook.com/ezcustomspainting
Jconcepts - Trinity/Revtech - Xtreme Hobbies - RCADDICTION Products
elex300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #5661
Super Moderator
 
Matt Trimmings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 5,704
Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq06 View Post
Can someone simply put a color to the plastic in wings already?!!

Really, maybe a smokey white like we already do with a scuff pad on new wings anyway, black... a blue... or whatever color.
Almost all of us scuff wings to give them some contrast for visibility on the track. Why not have that done from the first step? Instead of clear, mold a colored lexan.
Here's someone doing it in the UK, but you can't get them here. Their 10 for the wing and 10 shipping, that's $32 for one wing or $48 for two wings. Not gonna do that.

They have other great wing design thoughts also but maybe manufacturers can copy them... but color can't be protected.
http://l-m-racing.co.uk/products/ind...&product_id=62

Maybe it's already been done in the US and didn't sell, maybe this is an old thought. But why not at least do a opaque white that is about the same as a scuffed up clear wing. Nothing to do at the track when swapping out to a fresh wing... unwrap, ream holes and mount.

If you do colors, do me a favor and make a wing for the B44.2 in blue first... I know, selfish
If you read the description it says that they are 'smoked' with spray paint, so basically he is painting it for you.
__________________
Thanks to: JConcepts ~ Schelle ~ Kustom RC Graphics

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #5662
Tech Elite
 
tom_chang79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,591
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Can't wait for the new updated tire chart. I found it very helpful... Looks like the Bar Codes were born on Clay tracks, very specifically tailored since it only falls into so few categories...

What is the main difference between Gold and Green compound? Do Gold compound last longer than Green on clay?
__________________
RIP TAP RC
tom_chang79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #5663
Tech Champion
 
fq06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,628
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
If you read the description it says that they are 'smoked' with spray paint, so basically he is painting it for you.
Ah, your right. One up them, spill a little color into the lexan before it goes in the mold.
Kind of like the white plastic tube in the attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
JConcepts Thread-grandevision5ml_1.jpg  
__________________
BCE SCT410 / Hobbywing 3656sd ~ RX8.2
DEX210 / Trinity 17.5 ~ RS.2
Westcoast Raceway (R.I.P.) | SMC | PowerLab

Last edited by fq06; 12-11-2012 at 09:55 PM.
fq06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #5664
Tech Champion
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,861
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
Can't wait for the new updated tire chart. I found it very helpful... Looks like the Bar Codes were born on Clay tracks, very specifically tailored since it only falls into so few categories...

What is the main difference between Gold and Green compound? Do Gold compound last longer than Green on clay?
Gold = good for moist clay or packed topsoil tracks

Green = good for dry, more dusty surfaces.

Blue = somewhere in between (or for same conditions as green but very hot temperatures).

Green is one of the softest compounds so it would normally wear the fastest.
__________________
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head."

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #5665
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 189
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq06 View Post
Can someone simply put a color to the plastic in wings already?!!

Really, maybe a smokey white like we already do with a scuff pad on new wings anyway, black... a blue... or whatever color.
Almost all of us scuff wings to give them some contrast for visibility on the track. Why not have that done from the first step? Instead of clear, mold a colored lexan.
Here's someone doing it in the UK, but you can't get them here. Their 10 for the wing and 10 shipping, that's $32 for one wing or $48 for two wings. Not gonna do that.

They have other great wing design thoughts also but maybe manufacturers can copy them... but color can't be protected.
http://l-m-racing.co.uk/products/ind...&product_id=62

Maybe it's already been done in the US and didn't sell, maybe this is an old thought. But why not at least do a opaque white that is about the same as a scuffed up clear wing. Nothing to do at the track when swapping out to a fresh wing... unwrap, ream holes and mount.

If you do colors, do me a favor and make a wing for the B44.2 in blue first... I know, selfish
I'm with this guy, a colored wing would rock, 6.5" high flow (clearance) wing in yellow first please LOL.

Krom.
Kromulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #5666
Tech Elite
 
tom_chang79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,591
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Gold = good for moist clay or packed topsoil tracks

Green = good for dry, more dusty surfaces.

Blue = somewhere in between (or for same conditions as green but very hot temperatures).

Green is one of the softest compounds so it would normally wear the fastest.
Thanks Davidka, that explains why the Gold compound dominates the racing scene around my area. The tracks here are very well kept and hard packed clay.

I really love the JConcepts stuff. There's no question that they design towards high quality...
__________________
RIP TAP RC
tom_chang79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #5667
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 184
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default dirt

it's indoor California wet dirt with a little clay in it, not like Florida. it appears gold works best when the tracks wet but as it dries out the blues seem better. i've only run barcodes so far.
__________________
Earning a well known Anglo Saxton two word phrase. The second of the words is of course "you"
DSouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #5668
PW
Tech Elite
 
PW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Groveland, FL
Posts: 4,393
Send a message via AIM to PW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq06 View Post
Can someone simply put a color to the plastic in wings already?!!

Really, maybe a smokey white like we already do with a scuff pad on new wings anyway, black... a blue... or whatever color.
Almost all of us scuff wings to give them some contrast for visibility on the track. Why not have that done from the first step? Instead of clear, mold a colored lexan.
Here's someone doing it in the UK, but you can't get them here. Their 10 for the wing and 10 shipping, that's $32 for one wing or $48 for two wings. Not gonna do that.

They have other great wing design thoughts also but maybe manufacturers can copy them... but color can't be protected.
http://l-m-racing.co.uk/products/ind...&product_id=62

Maybe it's already been done in the US and didn't sell, maybe this is an old thought. But why not at least do a opaque white that is about the same as a scuffed up clear wing. Nothing to do at the track when swapping out to a fresh wing... unwrap, ream holes and mount.

If you do colors, do me a favor and make a wing for the B44.2 in blue first... I know, selfish
The simple answer is 99% of the wings are formed with other bodies at the same time making the wing clear. Maybe it's something for us down the road though .
__________________
Paul Wynn

JConcepts - Team Associated - Reedy - XP - TSR Products - MIP - Stickit1
P1 Brand - "If it's only for fun; then take out the transponder?!"
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #5669
Tech Champion
 
fq06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,628
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW View Post
The simple answer is 99% of the wings are formed with other bodies at the same time making the wing clear. Maybe it's something for us down the road though .
Yeah, that makes sense.

Can I get the 1% in opaque white?

Thought if any of the big companies would break out of the norm it would be you guys.

Brian C pointed out that years ago people were using Rit dye... gonna try that out on an unmolested high flow I have waiting. Going to have to be a color, no white from Rit.

If I go end over end enough, I will have the opportunity to try a few colors in a short amount of time

The die cut sticker pack that comes with the wing to give further contrast is a good idea as well... lee Martin's full of em!
__________________
BCE SCT410 / Hobbywing 3656sd ~ RX8.2
DEX210 / Trinity 17.5 ~ RS.2
Westcoast Raceway (R.I.P.) | SMC | PowerLab
fq06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #5670
Tech Elite
 
CraigMBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Valley of the Dirt, CA
Posts: 2,832
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSouza View Post
it's indoor California wet dirt with a little clay in it, not like Florida. it appears gold works best when the tracks wet but as it dries out the blues seem better. i've only run barcodes so far.
I think the name of it is San Emigdio loam, but I can't be certain because I don't know exactly where it was sourced. I don't think it's Porterville clay. Here is the interactive map if you want to check it out yourself.

http://soilstogo.uckare.org/

It's not like the soil they have at OCRC, WCRC, or A Main which I would describe as clay and wet.
__________________
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JConcepts BJ4 Funkymojo R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 03-28-2006 11:04 AM
WTB: JConcepts BJ4 goldberghere R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 03-20-2006 08:06 AM
FS: JConcepts BJ4 cnk R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 11-22-2005 09:48 PM
[FS] JConcepts BJ4 - NEVER RUN TBone77 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 10-27-2005 03:23 PM
FS/FT: Jconcepts BJ4 $425.00 skriete R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 10-25-2005 06:54 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:40 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net