Like Tree387Likes

JConcepts Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Tech Regular

The new closed cell inserts work great on our track and its low grip dusty in gold barcodes.
They take a few runs to feel great but tire wear was decreased tenfold. I got a set of gold barcodes with about 60 runs and foams feel great. Normal wear is about 10 runs
Old 02-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone run the losi buggy Punisher body on a electric? if so will it clear a 6 cell lipo?
Old 02-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 78 (99%+)

Does anyone have a eta on rips or v2 barcode?
Old 02-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nickd18
Anyone run the losi buggy Punisher body on a electric? if so will it clear a 6 cell lipo?
A buddy of mine has one on his 2.0 however he is using a standard 4s hardcase
Old 02-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Raul Garcia
Does anyone have a eta on rips or v2 barcode?
They should be available this month.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

just bought the '79 F250 SCT body. Im gonna have a hard time figuring out how to paint it.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default barcodes, rips

does anyone knw when the hobby shops will have the barcode v2 and the rips? or when a main will have them or stormer??
Old 02-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default And-1 Foams

Anybody else having trouble with the And-1 foams holding up? I have six pair of 1/10 scale buggy tires, Bar Codes, with foams that are worthless. I bought my first set in mid Dec. and my last set 3 weeks ago. I put about one hour of drive time on them every week at the local track, SmacTrac. The word around St. Louis is they aren't lasting like they used to. I've heard, last season, the foams lasted the season. Just wondering, since I can't afford to replace replace 4-6 pair of tires and wheels every month, that's crazy, and cutting the tires off the wheels to replace foams on 6 pairs of tires every month isn't what I call a good way to spend 6 nights/month. I've got a pair of Losi tires and foams from the beginning of the season that are better than the JC foams I bought 3 weeks ago.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Thats odd that your Losi foams are holding up better than the JC And 1's.... I take the Losi Foam and throw it in the trash to replace it with And 1! LOL...

What are you using for traction compound? Some traction compounds can KILL your foams in no time...
Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bDean
does anyone knw when the hobby shops will have the barcode v2 and the rips? or when a main will have them or stormer??
We have them at Premierehobbies.com
Old 02-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DavidR
Thats odd that your Losi foams are holding up better than the JC And 1's.... I take the Losi Foam and throw it in the trash to replace it with And 1! LOL...

What are you using for traction compound? Some traction compounds can KILL your foams in no time...
I've heard the same thing about the traction compound, but I don't use any, so I know that's not the problem. We may have gotten a bad batch of And-1 foams at the local hobby shop, but that doesn't change the fact that this is giving me the red ass about J Concepts foams, I got way to much money in good tires and wheels to replace them and cutting tires off wheels to replace foams is not my idea of fun
Old 02-07-2011, 11:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slash and Burn
I've heard the same thing about the traction compound, but I don't use any, so I know that's not the problem. We may have gotten a bad batch of And-1 foams at the local hobby shop, but that doesn't change the fact that this is giving me the red ass about J Concepts foams, I got way to much money in good tires and wheels to replace them and cutting tires off wheels to replace foams is not my idea of fun
Yeah thats odd! I run nuthin BUT JC foams and mine are going on their second season now and working just as well as when new! I even use traction compound occasionaly! Something is wrong with the ones you got ahold of for sure!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rctouringracer
Will JConcepts have new wheels for the up coming SC10 4x4?
Hoping these come out sooner rather than later.. I have 12 pair of tires that will need mounted up when the 4x4 comes out and I would much rather run JC rims than the alternative that is already available.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
What conditions are ideal for the new closed cell inserts? Meaning blue groove vs. a track with dusty conditions? Are they meant to replace the standard And-1 foam and to be used in all conditions?
Tire inserts are difficult, but in general the higher the “natural” track grip the firmer the insert you will want to use but there are different versions of high or natural traction.

There are a few different versions of track grip which you should consider before making a selection. The tips below are based on a 2wd buggy so if you are running 4wd buggy or 4wd Short Course the front inserts can go either way depending on ability. Also, a driver doesn’t have to necessarily make these changes to remain competitive at a regional level but these are the things we are looking at during the larger national level events. Our Profiled (closed cell) inserts are still very new so we are also still in the testing phase at many of these conditions so we are learning as we go and as the seasons and temperatures change.

Loamy dirt which has a heavy or light fluff to it. (Dirt, topsoil or wet red clay)
 This is a track where typically you would run a larger pin or our Goose Bumps or Subcultures style tire. In these conditions normally the traction is high but you don’t necessarily want a firm insert because the nature of the dirt produces ruts and holes and wavy sections which aren’t necessarily ideal for harder inserts. Stick with a stock insert here to be safe.

Wet / tacky and smooth dirt which has grip from tackiness of the dirt. (Brown / Black dirt / clay)
 Sometimes this is referred to as clay or indoor conditions. These tracks typically start off having very high grip where you can almost run slick or ghost pin tires with harder inserts and have the desired traction. These track surfaces will dry quickly if not watered continuously which means you will need treaded tires and the vehicle will tend to under steer or get loose coming out of turns or unexpectedly. You will most likely want to run a softer front insert here to help the vehicle create some steering response. The rear insert selection can go either way but if the track is calling for a Gold or indoor type compound that feels harder, I would suggest running a softer insert such as the stock inserts or a closed cell that has been run or broken-in or cut for softness. If the track is calling for a softer compound such as a blue or green I would suggest a firmer rear insert like the closed cell or something firmer than stock.

Morning outdoor – green conditions. (Red clay)
 This is very common for us here in Florida. The beginning of the day the track will be very slimy and almost seem impossible to drive on for people who aren’t used to it. The cars are typically very balanced in this condition and have very little steering and very little rear bite at the same time. For the better drivers it is popular to run a more aggressive front tire because it’s better to be able to steer than not. You would typically want to run the softer inserts here to help with the low traction front and rear.

Late morning outdoor – (Red clay)
 This is where the traction will start to pick-up and normally the same (softer) tire / insert selection is advisable during this time. If the track is coming around dramatically than start looking at changes for the next round.

Afternoon outdoor – (Red clay)
 If the weather is right this is where the traction really starts to pick-up outdoors. Typically this is where you will want to run a firmer rear insert to keep the tires a little more stable which will result in a car that feels a little more consistent and fast. The front insert will be driver and condition specific, if the vehicle feels too grabby in the front-end this is where you might want to try and de-tune the front tire grip. Front tires are typically the most difficult on a 2wd vehicle because the surface dictates pretty much everything. As mentioned earlier when traction is low a harder front insert is typically less steering but if the traction is high enough the harder front insert could actually produce more steering based on response and tire wear characteristics. I believe this is something only the driver can experiment with on their own track to see what is right for them. Remember when comparing front tires and inserts its best for the front tires to have similar wear because typically worn front tires on any type of grooved surface will steer more and also be a little smoother.

Evening outdoor – (Red clay)
 Normally when the sun goes down so does the traction and the dust also comes up pretty heavily. You will most likely want to run softer inserts and a tire combination more suited to dusty sections.

Morning outdoor – dry track (brown dirt)
 This is what we experience at tracks like SRS in Arizona and Hot Rod Hobbies in California. Softer front inserts will tend to work the best here with a firmer insert in the rear with a softer compound tire like blue or green.

Afternoon outdoor – dry track (brown dirt)
 The temperatures typically start to heat up here which makes the tire compound the most important. Everyone usually stays with their most comfortable front tire / insert combination as long as they feel they can control the front end and it’s not overly grabby. It’s advisable to go to a firmer rear insert here to keep the stability while running an Orange compound which is naturally a little harder also. When the track is at its hottest condition, it’s also a little slower in speed and the rear of the car isn’t as locked in so the driver usually isn’t able to be as aggressive. As mentioned earlier the front tire insert is something only the driver can experiment with on their own track to see what is right for them in this condition.

Evening outdoor – dry track (brown dirt)
 The track is normally very fast in this condition and it’s important to maintain the rear stability so staying with the firmer rear insert is a safe bet. Again, front tires / inserts are the toughest in these conditions but normally a driver will go with what they have ran in the past or makes their buggy the most consistent.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default SCT inserts

Have the SCT foams been updated? I've had alot of problems with the blue inserts chunking and moving around in the tire (Barcodes, subcultures and DD's) If it has been updated is it still as firm as it was? thx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.