Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree387Likes

JConcepts Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Cain
I have a question on the SCT Goosebumps tires.

I have heard of people using 1/8 buggy inserts in the tires and getting better performance. my questions are this:

- What performance difference to you notice going from the stock foams to a 1/8 buggy insert?
- What is needed to do this, other than the 1/8 buggy inserts?
- When is it best to use tires with the 1/8 buggy inserts versus the stock foams?
This is always a little complicated because there are so many conditions its tough to generalize everything. In general I would say the inserts that come stock with the Goose Bumps, the standard open cell type insert, gives the most traction and keeps tire wear to a minimum. These are probably the best inserts to run on the 2wd SCT trucks for the majority of the conditions since 2wd's tend to be a little on the loose side.

If the traction starts to build where there are blue groove sections and generally feels grippy than going to harder inserts can improve the performance, give more forward bite and provide more stability when entering high-speed turns. Remember that typically going harder on insert also means more tire wear and especially when the track has grooved or has rubber based traction. The molded inserts are also going to change the profile of the tire and that will also play a role in the performance change.

I attended a race recently where the top 2 trucks were on Goose Bumps. One driver was running the stock inserts and the other on molded inserts. The track had mixed conditions but the truck with the harder (molded) inserts was a little quicker and looked a little more responsive on the portion of the track with a slight groove on it. With 17.5 or stock power in the trucks I didn’t see either truck with a clear advantage overall, with the mixed conditions.

I would tend to run the stock inserts until the vehicle has pretty comfortable traction then I would start looking at options to improve stability and predictability. It's also important to remember that if you are running 4wd SCT the vehicle is much heavier and can support a harder insert much sooner in conditions than a 2wd. I would tend to run molded or harder inserts in 4wd much sooner than 2wd.

Please remember that over-time all the inserts soften up and this is a factor as well. The constant pounding on the jumps, surface, washing them or applying tire traction all deteriorates the insert and can cause some adverse affects.

We are going to continue to offer the Goose Bumps with the standard insert but will also offer a molded option in the near future specifically designed for our tire bodies.

In the time being I have seen guys use AKA 1/8th buggy inserts in the Goose Bumps with good results as well as the PL V3 molded and closed cell inserts. The reason these inserts were used because they were the widest ones available and the SCT tires need the extra width. None of them are the perfect match because they aren’t exactly designed for that purpose but will get you by in a pinch.

Hopefully this helps.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

thanks for the info!

One thing I had to get some info on as there wasn't anything stated in any tire packaging was what that little inside foam thing was for. Didn't know that traxxas wheels were stepped like they are, being a newbie to SCTs.

It would be great if something could be stated on the website about that on the link for the wheels and the tires.

By the way, your JConcepts bodies do impress. I got the SCT one with the lightbar on top, very very nice.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

does jconcepts make a body that will fit an electric mugen? i did a conversion on my mbx6 with an rc-monster conversion. my stock mugen body fits but i want a body that does not have the cut out for the nitro engine. thanks eric
Old 01-26-2010, 01:25 PM
PW
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kromie101
does jconcepts make a body that will fit an electric mugen? i did a conversion on my mbx6 with an rc-monster conversion. my stock mugen body fits but i want a body that does not have the cut out for the nitro engine. thanks eric
We make a body for the nitro Mugen MBX6, but it's not cut out. You can just leave that portion in .

Old 01-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

MUGEN MBX6-T PUNISHER BODY IS DIALED!!!!
Attached Thumbnails JConcepts Thread-img_0092.jpg   JConcepts Thread-img_0094.jpg   JConcepts Thread-img_0095.jpg  
Old 01-30-2010, 01:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

any pictures of the Truth body for the Blitz? Is it shipping yet?

http://www.jconcepts.net/store/index...roducts_id=360
Old 01-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm doing RCDP electric conversion on my old Ofna Hyper 7 PCR and was wondering which body you have that can fit this buggy? I was under the assumption that thethe Jammin X2 body could fit but if there is a better fitment please let me know. Also, let me know if the bodies are precut ( hope not!).
Thanks for the assistance.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:08 AM
J_P
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Armaan
Are JConcepts ball cups any good? Are they better than the RPM ball cups out there?

They would be for my T4 and B4.

Thanks in advance.
Yes they are good. So are the stock AE ones. I wouldn't recomend the rpm. They pop off too easy.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Ruona
This is always a little complicated because there are so many conditions its tough to generalize everything. In general I would say the inserts that come stock with the Goose Bumps, the standard open cell type insert, gives the most traction and keeps tire wear to a minimum. These are probably the best inserts to run on the 2wd SCT trucks for the majority of the conditions since 2wd's tend to be a little on the loose side.

If the traction starts to build where there are blue groove sections and generally feels grippy than going to harder inserts can improve the performance, give more forward bite and provide more stability when entering high-speed turns. Remember that typically going harder on insert also means more tire wear and especially when the track has grooved or has rubber based traction. The molded inserts are also going to change the profile of the tire and that will also play a role in the performance change.

I attended a race recently where the top 2 trucks were on Goose Bumps. One driver was running the stock inserts and the other on molded inserts. The track had mixed conditions but the truck with the harder (molded) inserts was a little quicker and looked a little more responsive on the portion of the track with a slight groove on it. With 17.5 or stock power in the trucks I didn’t see either truck with a clear advantage overall, with the mixed conditions.

I would tend to run the stock inserts until the vehicle has pretty comfortable traction then I would start looking at options to improve stability and predictability. It's also important to remember that if you are running 4wd SCT the vehicle is much heavier and can support a harder insert much sooner in conditions than a 2wd. I would tend to run molded or harder inserts in 4wd much sooner than 2wd.

Please remember that over-time all the inserts soften up and this is a factor as well. The constant pounding on the jumps, surface, washing them or applying tire traction all deteriorates the insert and can cause some adverse affects.

We are going to continue to offer the Goose Bumps with the standard insert but will also offer a molded option in the near future specifically designed for our tire bodies.

In the time being I have seen guys use AKA 1/8th buggy inserts in the Goose Bumps with good results as well as the PL V3 molded and closed cell inserts. The reason these inserts were used because they were the widest ones available and the SCT tires need the extra width. None of them are the perfect match because they aren’t exactly designed for that purpose but will get you by in a pinch.

Hopefully this helps.
Damn that was well written, then I noticed the posters name....

Good to see owners supporting there products, Keep up the great work!!!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Ruona
The body will be for the Slash 4x4, Slash 2wd and SC10. Look for a Blitz version coming as well.
This page on the jconcepts site, for the Manta, says "This SCT body fits the Slash, Slash 4x4, SC10 and Blitz!" Curious if there is going to be a different Manta for the Blitz, or is that the one?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey jason, it'll be cool to meet you at the jcon race this weekend in st charles! What you gonna run?
Old 02-01-2010, 05:53 AM
PW
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fullsyzz
This page on the jconcepts site, for the Manta, says "This SCT body fits the Slash, Slash 4x4, SC10 and Blitz!" Curious if there is going to be a different Manta for the Blitz, or is that the one?
The HPI Blitz will be a different part# and should be ready next week .
Old 02-01-2010, 06:53 AM
Tech Regular

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.. The AE ballcups break/bend/ pop-off so easily it's ridiculous. Why do so many people swap these out as they build the kit if not? On the other hand, the RPM ballcups are top notch. Strong and stay put (unless you wear them out by removing them too frequently). They are a great investment to any racing kit... I've never tried the JConcept ballcups, but have heard good things about them...

Just my 0.02$

Originally Posted by J_P
Yes they are good. So are the stock AE ones. I wouldn't recomend the rpm. They pop off too easy.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:11 AM
Tech Adept

I can vouch for the AE Ballcups. My first race with my T4 FT converted to SC10 had me crash after a mid air bump which landed hard on the right rear. The outer ball cup broke clean. It was kinda wierd that most of the cup was gone and just 3/4 of the rim was left. It was a big crash so I was not suprised that I broke something. I was actually pleased that it was a ball cup and not my FT arm or Ti turnbuckle or even worse. It did sideline me for the heat race.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Here are some freshly painted JC bodies from the Winning Edge Designs factory...bringing some flash to the thread with all these primered bodies, , !

...Jim
W.E.D.
Get Faster Gear
www.wedjim.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.