R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree38Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2010, 12:49 AM   #3406
Tech Master
 
Ridley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,460
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMoore View Post
All of the bodies go through an extensive testing process and I'm sure that they addressed any issues of that nature. One thing that you don't realize is that each body line increases the strength, ie...the fender flares and the wing mirror area in addition to the fender shape itself.
I fully realize how the body lines effect the strength, I'm not new to stress analysis. You are looking at relatively shallow lines there, with only a small amount of material in the fender area. The body will certainly flex in that area, it's obviously the most flexable area of the design as there's a relatively straight line across the shallowest concave section of the body. It will crack when it flexes there, it's just a matter of how soon. If it's anything like the Jcon bodies I tried on my truggies(that I'm sure was also extensively tested ) it will be much sooner than later. Like I said, It's a hella cool looking body and I will likely buy one based on that alone, but I can tell you right now there's a very high likelyhood there's gonna be issues with cracking there. Anyone buying one better plan on doing some creative reinforcement.

The last truck body i seen designed like that was the MBX5 truggy, and it had disastrous cracking issues in that area. I realize the slash is half the weight, but it is what it is. I also realize it's your job to promote Jcon products so I'll take your comment about what you think I know in context.

Last edited by Ridley; 01-19-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Ridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:40 AM   #3407
PW
Tech Elite
 
PW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Groveland, FL
Posts: 4,393
Send a message via AIM to PW
Default

WOW...

Anyways...Your paint is looking dialed Jim and we look forward to seeing you at the track again!
__________________
Paul Wynn

JConcepts - Team Associated - Reedy - XP - TSR Products - MIP - Stickit1
P1 Brand - "If it's only for fun; then take out the transponder?!"
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #3408
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DBK
Posts: 1,217
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

did u change the material u use for your ballcups? i used them like a year ago when they first came out and they where dialed, i bought more new ones put them on and the suck, (sorry haha dont want to offend anybody!) i broke two and then they are poping off super easy.

i mean the old ones worked AMAZING i never had issues with them. i got the florescent yellow ones.
SmItH_aLeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #3409
PW
Tech Elite
 
PW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Groveland, FL
Posts: 4,393
Send a message via AIM to PW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmItH_aLeX View Post
did u change the material u use for your ballcups? i used them like a year ago when they first came out and they where dialed, i bought more new ones put them on and the suck, (sorry haha dont want to offend anybody!) i broke two and then they are poping off super easy.

i mean the old ones worked AMAZING i never had issues with them. i got the florescent yellow ones.
Sorry to hear that, but we haven't changed anything. Maybe your just going faster now .
__________________
Paul Wynn

JConcepts - Team Associated - Reedy - XP - TSR Products - MIP - Stickit1
P1 Brand - "If it's only for fun; then take out the transponder?!"
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #3410
Tech Elite
 
Justpassedu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NewYork NY
Posts: 4,175
Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)
Default

Does the jconcepts dare body for the slash come with any stickers for headlights or anything ? I just recieved one in the mail and all i got was window masks , headlight masks , and masks for the lights. Cant wait to get this thing painted up , wish it woulda came with some nice stickers though...
__________________
Mugen Mbx6 Eco
Justpassedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #3411
Tech Master
 
Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,569
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Sage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justpassedu View Post
...wish it woulda came with some nice stickers though...
made my own headlights...
Attached Thumbnails
JConcepts Thread-frontsc10sm.jpg  
__________________
RCWrapz - custom decals, shirts & wraps. PM me for info!
RCWish.com - Helping kids get involved in RC since 2006
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #3412
Tech Elite
 
Justpassedu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NewYork NY
Posts: 4,175
Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)
Default

nice man i may have to do the same...
__________________
Mugen Mbx6 Eco
Justpassedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #3413
Tech Adept
 
Jason Ruona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justpassedu View Post
Does the jconcepts dare body for the slash come with any stickers for headlights or anything ? I just recieved one in the mail and all i got was window masks , headlight masks , and masks for the lights. Cant wait to get this thing painted up , wish it woulda came with some nice stickers though...
You should have some included blackout headlight and grill decals. These are probably what you might be confusing as the masks for the lights. They are cut to the shape and size of the headlight and grill area but are straight black in color. They will look similar to what Sage has in his post.
__________________
www.jconcepts.net
www.ifmarworldchampion.com
www.jconceptsracing.net
www.jconceptsevents.com
www.goodrungear.com
Jason Ruona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:26 PM   #3414
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley View Post
I fully realize how the body lines effect the strength, I'm not new to stress analysis. You are looking at relatively shallow lines there, with only a small amount of material in the fender area. The body will certainly flex in that area, it's obviously the most flexable area of the design as there's a relatively straight line across the shallowest concave section of the body. It will crack when it flexes there, it's just a matter of how soon. If it's anything like the Jcon bodies I tried on my truggies(that I'm sure was also extensively tested ) it will be much sooner than later. Like I said, It's a hella cool looking body and I will likely buy one based on that alone, but I can tell you right now there's a very high likelyhood there's gonna be issues with cracking there. Anyone buying one better plan on doing some creative reinforcement.

The last truck body i seen designed like that was the MBX5 truggy, and it had disastrous cracking issues in that area. I realize the slash is half the weight, but it is what it is. I also realize it's your job to promote Jcon products so I'll take your comment about what you think I know in context.
Everyones an expert... Even better than all this just crash half as often and your bodies will last twice as long!!
gizzo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #3415
Tech Elite
 
Justpassedu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NewYork NY
Posts: 4,175
Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Ruona View Post
You should have some included blackout headlight and grill decals. These are probably what you might be confusing as the masks for the lights. They are cut to the shape and size of the headlight and grill area but are straight black in color. They will look similar to what Sage has in his post.
Yes i have a the straight black decals , i thought they were to mask the headlights and all that , i didnt use them anyway to do that but i really didnt want to use them as my decals, Wish it woulda came with some nice jconcepts headlights and stickers ohwell i prob have some laying around someplace from an older car. Thanks
__________________
Mugen Mbx6 Eco
Justpassedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #3416
Tech Elite
 
W.E.D.Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Kissimmee,Fl.
Posts: 4,927
Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim
Default

Thanks P-Dub, Jeremy is looking forward to it. I am getting a platinum Slash to play with while we are there...We are just doing club races though.



As far as body durability goes, JConcepts bodies are great, but my Slash bodies from Traxxas always bend in at the rear of the front fender area. JConcepst ones were less of a problem then the OEM's.
I will add a body post in that area, liek touring cars do sometimes, once I get the new truck, since it will likely happen with any brand due to the pick up body being realistic. Most likely to the battery hold down or someplace like that...have to look at it for some ideas.

Anyone done this yet have ideas?

...Jim
W.E.D.
Get Faster Gear
www.wedjim.com
__________________
www.wedjim.com ...Reopening soon. I'm still painting, just not with 40+ bodies waiting. :)
www.prolineracing.com
www.HarleyDavidson.com
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #3417
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 74
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Hello,

I have the slash overtray, which works very well. However, I find that if you attach the tray using the tab and screws from the bumper, then it makes accessing anything under the tray very difficult. Would it be possible to include a recessed corner at the front of the tray, which would allow the tray the clear the body mount and open up like a hinge? Almost like a reverse hood hinge. Thanks =)
darksharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:34 AM   #3418
PW
Tech Elite
 
PW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Groveland, FL
Posts: 4,393
Send a message via AIM to PW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksharkman View Post
Hello,

I have the slash overtray, which works very well. However, I find that if you attach the tray using the tab and screws from the bumper, then it makes accessing anything under the tray very difficult. Would it be possible to include a recessed corner at the front of the tray, which would allow the tray the clear the body mount and open up like a hinge? Almost like a reverse hood hinge. Thanks =)
A running change has already been made .
__________________
Paul Wynn

JConcepts - Team Associated - Reedy - XP - TSR Products - MIP - Stickit1
P1 Brand - "If it's only for fun; then take out the transponder?!"
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:44 AM   #3419
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Posts: 3,405
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzo101 View Post
Even better than all this just crash half as often and your bodies will last twice as long!!
Best peice of info on rctech right thererotflmao
__________________
*Vandal 4wd Late model*XXX-T sprinter*Micro scale specialties 1/24 'rock monster' crawler*MSS Micro-Rail*MSS Micro-Funny*MSS Micro-Outlaw*
2wdMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #3420
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 74
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Awesome, glad to hear they are improving on the existing design. When might we expect to see the new design?
darksharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JConcepts BJ4 Funkymojo R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 03-28-2006 12:04 PM
WTB: JConcepts BJ4 goldberghere R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 03-20-2006 09:06 AM
FS: JConcepts BJ4 cnk R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 11-22-2005 10:48 PM
[FS] JConcepts BJ4 - NEVER RUN TBone77 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 10-27-2005 04:23 PM
FS/FT: Jconcepts BJ4 $425.00 skriete R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 10-25-2005 07:54 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:28 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net