R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree28Likes

Old 06-17-2009, 04:12 PM   #2926
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by losidriver70 View Post
How you Compare the Suburbs MX compound.... Orange Dot...

I havent had the opportunity to try these yet, so not sure sorry.

Ray
KO Propo EX-1 KIY_____www.keilorrc.com.au
Check out my help thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/10587838-post1.html
ray_munday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #2927
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_munday View Post
Billy,

, and in my experience work best on a really grippy track after about 3 runs.

L8r

Ray

This is also a key thing.....sometimes just running used tires (or scrubs as we like to call them) can make a huge difference. When the track is grippy, warm and swept (and it gets swept before every heat at the Shootout), a tire that has two or three runs is faster alot of times. I love running scrubs at Hot Rod, they have always been better for me there (at least with Losi tires as I havent been able to do a lot testing yet with the JC tires ).

Traditionally, the Shootout has always been pretty hot...90's minimum. I know we've had some 100+ days there though

KYOSHO AMERICA.com -Peakmotors.com - kyoshoforum.com - Team SlantEyEs - Hardkore Paint - JBRL Off Road Series - JConcepts.net
nc-hopsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #2928
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-hopsing View Post
This is also a key thing.....sometimes just running used tires (or scrubs as we like to call them) can make a huge difference. When the track is grippy, warm and swept (and it gets swept before every heat at the Shootout), a tire that has two or three runs is faster alot of times. I love running scrubs at Hot Rod, they have always been better for me there (at least with Losi tires as I havent been able to do a lot testing yet with the JC tires ).

Traditionally, the Shootout has always been pretty hot...90's minimum. I know we've had some 100+ days there though
Scrubbed tyres definitely seem to work well on the front of the 2wd.

At the rear, i find that a few laps is needed to get the tyre scrubbed in. Usually you can do this before your heat in race conditions. You are putting so much energy through the rear tyres that they tend to bed in quickly (in mod anyway).

If there is no dust on the surface, then it is usually the compound providing the grip not the tread design, so it is less important to have brand new tyres.

Ray
Old 06-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #2929
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

New dare body is so bad ass...
DiEzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:46 AM   #2930
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:

If there is no dust on the surface, then it is usually the compound providing the grip not the tread design, so it is less important to have brand new tyres.

Ray
In that case, do you feel applying some traction compound such as FX2 or Tweak could provide better traction? Perhaps it is worth a try?
billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:54 AM   #2931
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
In that case, do you feel applying some traction compound such as FX2 or Tweak could provide better traction? Perhaps it is worth a try?

If you are using the correct compound you shouldnt need it, as it could make the rubber go too soft, but you could always give it a go especially on a worn set of tyres.

Ray
Old 06-18-2009, 01:10 AM   #2932
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi Ray, thanks for sharing. I would assume your tests above were on JC Bar Codes, am I correct?

Have you compared Bar Codes with Losi BK Bar Red? I am curious if BK Bar Red is as temperature sensitive as Bar Codes, because I believe everyone just ran BK Bar Red at the rear end all day at previous Hot Rod Shootouts.
Quote:
Hi Ray, thanks again for such detailed explainations.

1) Regarding the front bar codes, did you mean running a new set when the track is cooler, and run a used set when the track is hotter?

2) What do you think of these combinations for 2wd at Hot Rod Shootout?

a) Below 70 degree air temp, Used White Bar Code Front + New Blue Bar Code Rear.

b) Between 70 and 100 degree air temp, New White Bar Code Front + New Orange Bar Code Rear.

c) Above 100 degree air temp, New White Bar Code Front + New White Bar Code Rear.

* I assume all the temperature you referred to were air temp. If you were referring to track temp, please correct me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-hopsing View Post
Thats a good rule of thumb.....but try not to overthink it. Ultimately your car set up, driving style, and what feels good to you should determine your tire choice. If you had only oranges for the rear and whites for the front you would probably be fine. For years the Losi silver taper fronts and red BkBars for the rear were the tire no matter what the temp was at the Shootout. For most people, the subtle differences in the compounds may not be felt....unless your name is Ryan Mayfield or Frank Root .
Quote:

Thanks for all the good info Ray. I think I'll give a little addition Hot Rod specific info.

For 2wd, White front with 2-stage foam cut to wheel width, Orange Rears with 2-stage narrowed by 1/4" will be the ticket unless it rains. This is what we ran at the Cactus, and it went really well. This is also the combo I ran at the JBRL at HRH last month, also with good result.

Truck, I will be doing a little testing on, but I think is would be safe to plan on running white truck bar codes, with 2-stage in the front, and orange bar codes, with 2-stage in the rear. We ran Oranges all the way aronud at Cactus, but I really think the white fronts will make it easier to drive, and more consistent.

4wd, this one is a little easier. Orange BC rears, with 2-stage with 1/4" cut off. Orange BC fronts, with either wheel width 2-stage or And 1.

All of the either or's are the things I plan on running in practice. I am also heading to the Nor Cal Champs, which is a similar track surface to HRH. I'll be sure to give a good update from what I learn up there.

The Blues are really good when the track is partially grooved, or cold, under 70 degrees, or slightly wet. The perfect example is at the Cactus Classic, the first round of A-mains, when the track was half damp and half dried, but cool. They were cheating... Truck was up early on the qualifying days and had the same result. At HRH, they don't water the track at night, and the track temp won't be under 80-85F at any point.

I wouldn't rule out whites for the rear, but I wouldn't plan on them either.

Hope this helps!
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:21 AM   #2933
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripthreat View Post
Thanks for all the good info Ray. I think I'll give a little addition Hot Rod specific info.
Thanks for the HRH specific info Frank. i hadnt tried the firmer inserts in the 2wd fronts yet - will try that when the warmer weather returns

Would you recommend the firmer inserts in the blue 2wd fronts as well? Did you run them front and rear at Cactus when it was cool?

Ray
Old 06-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #2934
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks for the HRH specific info Frank. i hadnt tried the firmer inserts in the 2wd fronts yet - will try that when the warmer weather returns

Would you recommend the firmer inserts in the blue 2wd fronts as well? Did you run them front and rear at Cactus when it was cool?

Ray
If you are running blue fronts, I would give it a try. It kind of depends on conditions.

At the Cactus, in the first round of A-Mains, I went 1 tires softer all the way around, so Orange fr/Blue rr for 2wd, Blue/Blue 4wd and Orange fr/Blue rr for truck. It seems to be the right balance.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #2935
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Some JC bodies just finished up. I thought would bring some color into the thread....

...Jim
W.E.D.
Get Faster Gear
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:22 AM   #2936
PW
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to PW

Lookin good Jim!!!

JConcepts - Team Associated - Reedy - XP - TSR Products - MIP - Stickit1
P1 Brand - "If it's only for fun; then take out the transponder?!"
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #2937
Tech Apprentice

Anyone having problems fitting Losi tire's on JC wheels? I had to cut some rubber to let them fit nicely.

Also my DD 4wd fronts come with rather big inserts do you need cut them?

Just one more question: at my track some ppl glue 2wd fronts ''narrow'' on the rim what does it do handling wise?
Old 06-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #2938
J_P
Tech Addict

I haven't ran losi tires in a while. But I rememebr they always needed to be cut to fit the wheel better.
The insert is a tuning tool. You can cut it. Or stuff the whole thing in there. It was stated on here somewhere. Maybe start with about a quarter of it cut off. Then on the next set, you can go from there.
Not sure about the next one. Are you asking about 2Wheel tires on the front of 4Wheel?
Old 06-20-2009, 12:21 AM   #2939
Tech Adept

Default J82

I was surprised that there was not a class for the J82 at "The Wave" race. I was debating on making an appearance. With the ecconomy slow I have to run less races lately. When things get back busier I want to run more of the Cactus, Shootouts, yada yada. I would personally prefer a sat, sunday format. Racing on friday costs the privateer. But I would love to see J82 class at a J Concepts race.

In 06 I commented to a friend that RC's lacked the tire compound wars found in other forms of motor sport. Careful what you wish for !! These new tires are dialed ! All the JC tires I have tried are great ! I am glad to hear what the out door compounds are. All I have so far is gold (OCRC is my semi local track). FRANK ! You gave away my JC insert secret ! I trimed 1/4 off of a set of inserts at the OCRC, JBRL and Garcia said I was nutz. On holeshots I has stupid loose. On bar codes with MY! air gap cut on the inserts, the truck would pop a we-ly. Sounds like I have a few sets of tires to build.

Butts, are you cleaning your brand new tires with a brand new terry towel, and motor spray ? huh huh. Been doing this 22yrs. I remember your tricked out truck. I thought cash was king. Cleaned, newbies should be the fastest.
BrianKuyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:17 AM   #2940
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P View Post
I haven't ran losi tires in a while. But I rememebr they always needed to be cut to fit the wheel better.
The insert is a tuning tool. You can cut it. Or stuff the whole thing in there. It was stated on here somewhere. Maybe start with about a quarter of it cut off. Then on the next set, you can go from there.
Not sure about the next one. Are you asking about 2Wheel tires on the front of 4Wheel?
Ok thanks.

I mean 2wd front tires on 2wd front rims for my B4.