R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree38Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #2911
Tech Elite
 
ray_munday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,626
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_King View Post
Hot Road can get hot, hopefully not over 100. Im thinking 80+ though. Oranges still a good compound for the rears?
The orange seems to be the best all round tyre for these conditions on the rear, but it might be worth trying a set of whites in the middle of the day when it is really hot. The oranges seemed to work well at Cactus this year, and I heard it was pretty warm there through the day.

Our track apparently has a similar surface to hot rod, and we have a similar blazing sun to Cali, and I found the whites felt a little more locked in when it was 100F and the track was hot from the sun.



Ray
__________________
Team Associated Factory Driver: B6/B6D, B64D, SC5M
JConcepts Factory Driver: Tyres, Rims, Wings, Bodies & Accessories
Reedy Factory Driver: Blackbox 510R ESC, Sonic 3 BL motors, Lipo
KO Propo EX-1 KIY_____www.keilorrc.com.au
Check out my help thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/10587838-post1.html
ray_munday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #2912
Tech Elite
 
K_King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,192
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_munday View Post
The orange seems to be the best all round tyre for these conditions on the rear, but it might be worth trying a set of whites in the middle of the day when it is really hot. The oranges seemed to work well at Cactus this year, and I heard it was pretty warm there through the day.

Our track apparently has a similar surface to hot rod, and we have a similar blazing sun to Cali, and I found the whites felt a little more locked in when it was 100F and the track was hot from the sun.



Ray
Ok, dont think I can afford to double up on 2 different compounds so orange will have to do hehe
__________________
TLR - Spektrum - Pro-Line - Team Orion - Stickit1 - Schelle
K_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:21 AM   #2913
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 459
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_munday View Post
Hey guys,

Im no Frank Root, but I do a fair bit of tyre testing down here in Australia for JConcepts. We had a really hot summer, and recently had a big race just as the weather was cooling off, and I have found the following:

When the track is really grippy and abrasive, the orange works better than the blue above 20C (70F). The blues tend to fold over in these conditions and wear quickly.

I did a test on a 38C (100F) day on a very grippy track and the whites were better than orange in these conditions. The softer tyres overheated after only a couple of laps!

In moderate conditions (25c /75F) the oranges tend to work well from lap 1 whereas the whites take a couple of laps to come in. they tend to wear very well.

I found the blues were really good on a grooved red clay track when it was cooler (15C / 60F). It is worth trying firmer inserts in them as the soft compound means that the carcass move more.

As for compound choice:
- if the compound is too soft, the tyre will feel to go off after a couple of laps when it overheats. It can also feel 'snappy' as if the grip comes and then suddenly goes as the pins fold under.

- if the compound is too firm, the tyre will feel like it is skating on the surface. It may also take a few laps to work as it comes up to temp.

Like Frank said, the difference is subtle, and the best bet is to experiment with a few different compounds back to back to get a feel for it.

L8r

Ray
Hi Ray, thanks for sharing. I would assume your tests above were on JC Bar Codes, am I correct?

Have you compared Bar Codes with Losi BK Bar Red? I am curious if BK Bar Red is as temperature sensitive as Bar Codes, because I believe everyone just ran BK Bar Red at the rear end all day at previous Hot Rod Shootouts.

Last edited by billythekid; 06-17-2009 at 02:45 AM.
billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:17 AM   #2914
Tech Elite
 
ray_munday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,626
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
Hi Ray, thanks for sharing. I would assume your tests above were on JC Bar Codes, am I correct?

Have you compared Bar Codes with Losi BK Bar Red? I am curious if BK Bar Red is as temperature sensitive as Bar Codes, because I believe everyone just ran BK Bar Red at the rear end all day at previous Hot Rod Shootouts.

Hi mate,

all testing was on Bar Codes, correct.

I was comparing directly with the BK Bars (reds). I would say that the JC Orange is most comparable with the Losi Red compound, with the JC White being a little harder, but not as dramatic a difference in grip as going to say Losi Silver.

The biggest difference I found with the Bar Codes vs the BK Bar at the rear was that the Bar Codes were much smoother in the transition from cornering to acceleration. The forward traction and cornering grip was not that much different to BK bars, but were much easier to drive especially if there are any flowing sections on the track where you need to blend cornering and throttle. My consistency with Bar Codes was much better and I could drive a bit more aggressively. I think that this is due to the 'Y' design.

The 2wd front bar codes grip better than the taper pins and wear much better, as well as working better if there is any dust on the track. Id recommend having a used set of whites for the front if the grip really comes up and there is no dust.

Ray
__________________
Team Associated Factory Driver: B6/B6D, B64D, SC5M
JConcepts Factory Driver: Tyres, Rims, Wings, Bodies & Accessories
Reedy Factory Driver: Blackbox 510R ESC, Sonic 3 BL motors, Lipo
KO Propo EX-1 KIY_____www.keilorrc.com.au
Check out my help thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/10587838-post1.html
ray_munday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:40 AM   #2915
Tech Master
 
dirtdustingdavo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Apocalypse suburb of Robina
Posts: 1,738
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Ray, can you direct me to where I can get bar codes here in Aus or better still, do you know who in Brisbane may have them?
Cheer's
dirtdustingdavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:52 AM   #2916
Tech Elite
 
ray_munday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,626
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdustingdavo View Post
Ray, can you direct me to where I can get bar codes here in Aus or better still, do you know who in Brisbane may have them?
Cheer's
Dave,

try www.nbhc.com.au for JC stuff (Sydney). Not sure who stocks them in Brisbane - you would need to ask Ari at HEI (JC Importers into oz).


L8r

Ray
__________________
Team Associated Factory Driver: B6/B6D, B64D, SC5M
JConcepts Factory Driver: Tyres, Rims, Wings, Bodies & Accessories
Reedy Factory Driver: Blackbox 510R ESC, Sonic 3 BL motors, Lipo
KO Propo EX-1 KIY_____www.keilorrc.com.au
Check out my help thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/10587838-post1.html

Last edited by ray_munday; 06-17-2009 at 05:56 AM. Reason: missing .au on web link
ray_munday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:29 AM   #2917
PW
Tech Elite
 
PW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Groveland, FL
Posts: 4,393
Send a message via AIM to PW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfueled View Post
Im really wanting to hear about the new dare bodies. I got a slash and sc10 that need new lids
Illuzion Dare Associated SC10 body
Part # - 0082
(Direct fit for Associated SC10)

Click here to order yours today



__________________
Paul Wynn

JConcepts - Team Associated - Reedy - XP - TSR Products - MIP - Stickit1
P1 Brand - "If it's only for fun; then take out the transponder?!"
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:14 AM   #2918
Tech Elite
 
tschenck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wolcott, CT
Posts: 2,725
Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default

I was waiting to see some pictures of that body. Now that I do I think I will order the "truth" instead. Not really liking this one. I do want some of those rims though.
__________________
Pro-Line/MIP/Team Scream Racing/Dirt Skins
Wolcott Hobby/RCHR
Losi 22 4.0 hobbywing xr10 pro stock spec, tsr 17.5
tschenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #2919
Tech Master
 
mandy116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 1,007
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

why do my jconcept ballcups (the cool long ones) rub the rear spring on my B4 is this normal?
__________________
RC3 Graffix, Upgrade R/C, Coral springs R/C raceway
mandy116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #2920
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 459
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy116 View Post
why do my jconcept ballcups (the cool long ones) rub the rear spring on my B4 is this normal?
Are you running some kind of custom anti squat block with extra toe in? If you are not, then the ball cups should not touch the rear shock springs.

I have tried these ball cups, although they do a good job of absorbing impacts, they do get bent very easily. They are much softer than the stock ball cups. I recommend using either the original Associate ones or RPM ones.
billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #2921
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 459
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_munday View Post

The 2wd front bar codes grip better than the taper pins and wear much better, as well as working better if there is any dust on the track. Id recommend having a used set of whites for the front if the grip really comes up and there is no dust.

Ray
Hi Ray, thanks again for such detailed explainations.

1) Regarding the front bar codes, did you mean running a new set when the track is cooler, and run a used set when the track is hotter?



2) What do you think of these combinations for 2wd at Hot Rod Shootout?

a) Below 70 degree air temp, Used White Bar Code Front + New Blue Bar Code Rear.

b) Between 70 and 100 degree air temp, New White Bar Code Front + New Orange Bar Code Rear.

c) Above 100 degree air temp, New White Bar Code Front + New White Bar Code Rear.



* I assume all the temperature you referred to were air temp. If you were referring to track temp, please correct me.
billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #2922
Tech Elite
 
nc-hopsing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
Hi Ray, thanks again for such detailed explainations.

1) Regarding the front bar codes, did you mean running a new set when the track is cooler, and run a used set when the track is hotter?



2) What do you think of these combinations for 2wd at Hot Rod Shootout?

a) Below 70 degree air temp, Used White Bar Code Front + New Blue Bar Code Rear.

b) Between 70 and 100 degree air temp, New White Bar Code Front + New Orange Bar Code Rear.

c) Above 100 degree air temp, New White Bar Code Front + New White Bar Code Rear.



* I assume all the temperature you referred to were air temp. If you were referring to track temp, please correct me.

Thats a good rule of thumb.....but try not to overthink it. Ultimately your car set up, driving style, and what feels good to you should determine your tire choice. If you had only oranges for the rear and whites for the front you would probably be fine. For years the Losi silver taper fronts and red BkBars for the rear were the tire no matter what the temp was at the Shootout. For most people, the subtle differences in the compounds may not be felt....unless your name is Ryan Mayfield or Frank Root .
__________________
Steve Butts

KYOSHO AMERICA.com -Peakmotors.com - kyoshoforum.com - Team SlantEyEs - Hardkore Paint - JBRL Off Road Series - JConcepts.net
nc-hopsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #2923
Tech Master
 
dirtdustingdavo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Apocalypse suburb of Robina
Posts: 1,738
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Cheer's for the info Ray
dirtdustingdavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #2924
Tech Elite
 
ray_munday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,626
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Billy,

As a general rule of thumb, this looks good for the rear tyres.

For the front, I would run used White Bar Codes when it is really hot. When it is cooler (70) you could try blue fronts to match the rears. Sorry if my first explanation wasnt clear. You will find the 2wd front bar codes last much longer than taper pins, and in my experience work best on a really grippy track after about 3 runs.

Im not sure what sort of temp range you will see at the Shootout. As nc-hopsing said, if all you had were orange rears and white fronts you would probably be fine for 90% of the conditions. But as tyres are the single biggest factor in improving lap times, its always good to be prepared. Id suggest you speak to guys like Frank at the race and find out what tyres they will use at which time.

With JC (and PL) now providing tyres for these conditions which have traditionally been dominated by the BK Bars, compound choice will probably be more important as people search for any edge they can get. The red BK Bar was a default control tyre for many years!

L8r

Ray





Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
Hi Ray, thanks again for such detailed explainations.

1) Regarding the front bar codes, did you mean running a new set when the track is cooler, and run a used set when the track is hotter?



2) What do you think of these combinations for 2wd at Hot Rod Shootout?

a) Below 70 degree air temp, Used White Bar Code Front + New Blue Bar Code Rear.

b) Between 70 and 100 degree air temp, New White Bar Code Front + New Orange Bar Code Rear.

c) Above 100 degree air temp, New White Bar Code Front + New White Bar Code Rear.



* I assume all the temperature you referred to were air temp. If you were referring to track temp, please correct me.
__________________
Team Associated Factory Driver: B6/B6D, B64D, SC5M
JConcepts Factory Driver: Tyres, Rims, Wings, Bodies & Accessories
Reedy Factory Driver: Blackbox 510R ESC, Sonic 3 BL motors, Lipo
KO Propo EX-1 KIY_____www.keilorrc.com.au
Check out my help thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/10587838-post1.html
ray_munday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #2925
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pimping Old Hoes .
Posts: 597
Default AE Is Killer Of All......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_munday View Post
Hi mate,

all testing was on Bar Codes, correct.

I was comparing directly with the BK Bars (reds). I would say that the JC Orange is most comparable with the Losi Red compound, with the JC White being a little harder, but not as dramatic a difference in grip as going to say Losi Silver.

The biggest difference I found with the Bar Codes vs the BK Bar at the rear was that the Bar Codes were much smoother in the transition from cornering to acceleration. The forward traction and cornering grip was not that much different to BK bars, but were much easier to drive especially if there are any flowing sections on the track where you need to blend cornering and throttle. My consistency with Bar Codes was much better and I could drive a bit more aggressively. I think that this is due to the 'Y' design.

The 2wd front bar codes grip better than the taper pins and wear much better, as well as working better if there is any dust on the track. Id recommend having a used set of whites for the front if the grip really comes up and there is no dust.

Ray
How you Compare the Suburbs MX compound.... Orange Dot...
losidriver70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JConcepts BJ4 Funkymojo R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 03-28-2006 12:04 PM
WTB: JConcepts BJ4 goldberghere R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 03-20-2006 09:06 AM
FS: JConcepts BJ4 cnk R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 11-22-2005 10:48 PM
[FS] JConcepts BJ4 - NEVER RUN TBone77 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 10-27-2005 04:23 PM
FS/FT: Jconcepts BJ4 $425.00 skriete R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 10-25-2005 07:54 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:15 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net