R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Best buggy & truggy tire for packed clay? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/152427-best-buggy-truggy-tire-packed-clay.html)

speed metal 03-03-2007 10:03 PM

Best buggy & truggy tire for packed clay?

I got a big indoor race coming next month (finally some racing!) and it's going to be a typical hard packed clay based indoor track. I've never raced an indoor race before so I've got no idea what usually works. So what kind of tires work best in this situation? I was thinking of the following tires:
    And for truggy the same as above (and in Pro Line's MTR version) when available as well as:

So what do you indoor racers run on the clay hardpack? I'd really like to hear everyone's experiences with indoor tires.

regards

speed metal

o.s. power 03-03-2007 10:26 PM

panther switch 2.0 and inside jobs - M3 though, not m2. Use stiff ofna foam (yellow?) with the switches and the stock foam with inside jobs.

Dougg 03-03-2007 11:06 PM

t4usee 03-04-2007 05:31 AM

We raced at the MidWest Nats. in Columbus. Panther Switch's in clay compound was,,,, OK. Pro-Line inside jobs had more side bite. The Losi drivers were using their new Taper Pin setup which looked awsome. If they are out, you may want to take a look at them.

speed metal 03-04-2007 05:19 PM

Great replies guys! It's looking like Switches and Inside Jobs are getting the most recos. Has anyone tried Cell Blocks? What about Bow Ties? They're supposed to be good on clay too. Any experiences with these other tires? Or are the Switches and Inside Jobs the only way to go?

regards

speed metal

o.s. power 03-04-2007 05:32 PM

cell blocks wear out in 10 seconds. Stick with IJ's in M3 or switch 2.0's in Clay

speed metal 03-04-2007 09:16 PM

OK thanks for that input o.s.power! Looks like Inside Jobs have the inside track :)

What about those new Holeshot MTR's for the truggy. The new PL MTR series of truggy tires look really good. Has anyone tried the PL Holeshot MTR's yet?

Also is there no love for the GRP line of tires? Cubics look pretty good for this situation. Any thoughts or experiences?

regards

speed metal

mattnin 03-05-2007 05:48 AM

Whatever you do, do not get bow ties! You will slide all over the place.

Can't go wrong with holeshots on clay, the panther 2.0 are good but I think pink taper pins are better. Even try the pink king pin. Also, the inside job is a very good tire similar to the holeshots.

I'd say go with the pink taper pin first, then holeshot second, panther 2.0, and a tie between inside job and the kingpin for fourth best.

Got pictures of the track?

o.s. power 03-05-2007 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by mattnin

Can't go wrong with holeshots on clay, the panther 2.0 are good but I think pink taper pins are better. Even try the pink king pin. Also, the inside job is a very good tire similar to the holeshots.

I'd say go with the pink taper pin first, then holeshot second, panther 2.0, and a tie between inside job and the kingpin for fourth best.

Don't confuse the man now, 1/8 scale not 1/10

speed metal 03-05-2007 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by mattnin

Nah no pix of the track yet because it's not been built. It's going to be built the week before the race so I got no idea what the layout is gonna be like. I just know that the dirt that's gonna be used is clay based.

Great input everyone! I'm not any closer to decision but at least I'm getting a better idea at what's gona work and what's not.

regards

speed metal

B_Wheeler 03-05-2007 11:47 AM

At the Pro Series Finals in Rockford this past year, the track was built the day before the event, and it was a clay based track...

Most people liked the Bowties or Crimefighters better than the inside jobs and switches surprisingly. By the end of the event on sunday there was so much traction layed down that Knuckles 2.0 in M2 compound was dialed....

I'm guessing this track might be the same if they don't water it, if they do, then it will probably be an Inside Job/Switch type of track, but thats just what i think anyway. so i'm pretty much gonna bring a little of everything, Knuckles, Bowties, Inside Jobs, Switches, and Holeshots (if they are available in time)

speed metal 03-05-2007 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by B_Wheeler
      At the Pro Series Finals in Rockford this past year, the track was built the day before the event, and it was a clay based track...

Most people liked the Bowties or Crimefighters better than the inside jobs and switches surprisingly. By the end of the event on sunday there was so much traction layed down that Knuckles 2.0 in M2 compound was dialed....

I'm guessing this track might be the same if they don't water it, if they do, then it will probably be an Inside Job/Switch type of track, but thats just what i think anyway. so i'm pretty much gonna bring a little of everything, Knuckles, Bowties, Inside Jobs, Switches, and Holeshots (if they are available in time)

Hey thanks a lot!! That was an awesome post. Very informative! BTW good to see you over here. I think Matt was saying they're gonna water it. Maybe I should find the post where he says that. I wish I could afford to buy a set off each. I'm just gonna collect them as the season goes on. :)

Im trying to decide one one set for my buggy and one set for my truggy. I already have Crimefighter MT's and HPI Nubz for the truggy and GRP Jollies and Panther Komodo Dragon 2 in medium soft for the buggy. That's what I'm bringing plus whatever "clay" tires I pick for this race. Hopefully I pick well!

regards

speed metal

t4usee 03-05-2007 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by speed metal
      Great replies guys! It's looking like Switches and Inside Jobs are getting the most recos. Has anyone tried Cell Blocks? What about Bow Ties? They're supposed to be good on clay too. Any experiences with these other tires? Or are the Switches and Inside Jobs the only way to go?

regards

speed metal

There is a indoor track in Nasville that Bow Ties hook up on awsome. It's wierd sometmes on what tire will work. Thunder RC Raceway.