Wiki Posts
Search

SCOOP: New Tamiya Competition 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 03:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default SCOOP: New Tamiya Competition 4wd

This car will be shown at the upcoming toy fair in Germany.

Only cad drawings ATM though I believe this was the car some had spotted being tested last year at the Japanese Nationals.
Attached Thumbnails SCOOP: New Tamiya Competition 4wd-newtamiya.jpg  
Old 02-01-2006, 03:40 AM
Tech Adept

Looks promising! I hope it would be out sooner or later so that I can try one.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:04 AM
Tech Rookie

What kind of drive train is it, belt or shaft. It looks like an off center shaft drive. If Tamiya makes a jump into compitition 4wd off road racing, they will be a tough force to beat! Just look how quickly they developed and dominate the electric touring car market.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:34 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Freem
What kind of drive train is it, belt or shaft. It looks like an off center shaft drive. If Tamiya makes a jump into compitition 4wd off road racing, they will be a tough force to beat! Just look how quickly they developed and dominate the electric touring car market.
I know I love Tamiya!!! It would be awesome if it gets released soon!!!
I love my XX-4 WE but I'd get that Buggy right away!!!
Old 02-01-2006, 08:21 AM
Tech Legend

Is it me , or are those the old "Super Shot" chrome wheels from way back ?
Old 02-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hard to tell, but it looks like the steering servo might be located towards the back end of the car. There's a long tie-rod going from the back of the car towards the steering. Weird.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Correct me if I am wrong but I though the shaft designs went away from raised and offset shafts to alleviate torq steer a long time ago. I am sure that any Tamiya pro level car would use a more conventional layout or at least one they hadn't already progressed beyond.

Mark
Old 02-01-2006, 09:19 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The cad drawing is of a belt car. The motor is oriented in line with a spur gear pwependicular to the chassis. I wonder how well they will be able to route the belt around the battery. The belt will either travel in a raised tunnel under the chassis (ala' 1988 Schumacher Cat) or in a tunnel under the battery that will raise the battery off of the chassis deck, that would be a bad thing for the ol' CG.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Tech Legend

What belt ?
I see a drive shaft , seems just a redo on the SuperShot ...
Old 02-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

I agree, its a shaft drive!! Look at how the shaft enters the transmission in the front. It reminds me of the TA01/02 touring cars tamiya had in the 90's.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

The car is shaft drive, with the shaft running just over the cells (like the Durango).

The cells are loaded into the car from underneath the chassis (like JRX-S).

The car is nothing like any previous Tamiya car, the overall design is based around a fairly narrow chassis (when testing they were using B4 bodies on the car) with very long suspension arms.

The wheels are a new design, see the attached pic. They have a new mini-pin tyre as well.
Attached Thumbnails SCOOP: New Tamiya Competition 4wd-header_53879.jpeg   SCOOP: New Tamiya Competition 4wd-header_53881.jpeg  

Last edited by bender; 02-01-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Tech Lord

It's not a shaft, it's a belt. The motor would be turned 45* to be inline with the shaft and the spur gear would be running cross wise to the direction of the shaft. You can clearly see the spur gear cover in the photo. Keep in mind, with the configuration in the pictures the power would have to make 90* turns at the layshaft that the spur gear turns and 90* turns again at the diffs and then turn another gear to drive the diffs so that the diffs can be low enough to drive the dogbones. So that's 4 90* turns in the drive train to drive a 3 gear transmission at each end of the car. If it's not a belt then there are some serious drive train issues to overcome before this thing becomes anything more than a CAD drawing.
Where did this drawing come from by the way?
Old 02-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

I know what you mean but what is that shaft above the batterij then??? Its not a chassis stifner (its not a nitro car) and its not for the servo because its to big. AnD I dont see a belt or any room for a belt.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Tech Lord

The white line is a belt, not a shaft. This is a CAD drawing so the detail is poor. The narrower one is the steering rod from the rear mounted servo.

I bet this is not a "real" design. A lot of the parts look like they were lifted past Kyosho models.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Davidka
It's not a shaft, it's a belt. The motor would be turned 45* to be inline with the shaft and the spur gear would be running cross wise to the direction of the shaft. You can clearly see the spur gear cover in the photo.
I think you'd better get your eyes checked

The motor doesn't have to be inline with the shaft. Tamiya pioneered the shaft drive design with a laterally mounted motor position.

I did a very quick and rough sketch on how it could be doneand found that only 1 friction point is added, but the cars handing would be much better due to motor and battery position.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.