Wiki Posts
Search

Cleaning Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 12:40 AM
Tech Addict

Default Cleaning Buggy

Hi Guys,

new to 1/8 off roading. Quick naive question. How do you guys celan the dirt form the buggies? If it is wet mud do you let it dry first...etc...?

Any help much appreciated
Old 03-03-2007, 06:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

(compressed air before it drys) or it is a pain to remove, you than have to use water. that can make rust on all metal moving parts like your stearing post bearings, cvds get dry, and hinge pins get stuck too the a arms.

removing the radio tray, motor and gas tank take less time than you think, if you want super clean car.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hey

Hey Dr.catman you do not need to use water or remove your radio or motor. What I do and all the people at my lhs do is. 1st- Blow car of with compressed air in a can or you can use a air compressure, 2nd- spray simple green all over your car but on the electronics and if you get some on the electronics that is ok it will not hurt but just try not to get alot on them. 3rd- blow off again with compressed air or a air compressure. 4th- Take WD40 and spray it all over your car and you do not have to worry about WD40 on your servos it will not hurt it but still try not getting alot of it on them. 5th- blow your buggy off again with a compressed air or a air compressure. Now your buggy should be clean and shiney and ready. Ok the reason now why this method works so good is because nothing said to use will rust,damage or screw up your buggy. Simple green is a very good cleaner and will take off durt and dust. Then the compressed air or air compressure wil blow all of the simle green plus dirt and dust off at the same time. Now you spray on the WD40 it helps with make your buggy shine and look like new and it helps take the little dirt and dust off the buggy that the simple green could not get off. Now you blow if off again with compressed air or a air compressure is because that will blow the WD40 off and the little bit of dirt that the simple green did not get off. Now when you are all done your buggy might feel a little grease that is what you want it is from the WD40, it will dry up and your buggy will be SHINEYYYYY. So there you go.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by losi8ight
Hey Dr.catman you do not need to use water or remove your radio or motor. What I do and all the people at my lhs do is. 1st- Blow car of with compressed air in a can or you can use a air compressure, 2nd- spray simple green all over your car but on the electronics and if you get some on the electronics that is ok it will not hurt but just try not to get alot on them. 3rd- blow off again with compressed air or a air compressure. 4th- Take WD40 and spray it all over your car and you do not have to worry about WD40 on your servos it will not hurt it but still try not getting alot of it on them. 5th- blow your buggy off again with a compressed air or a air compressure. Now your buggy should be clean and shiney and ready. Ok the reason now why this method works so good is because nothing said to use will rust,damage or screw up your buggy. Simple green is a very good cleaner and will take off durt and dust. Then the compressed air or air compressure wil blow all of the simle green plus dirt and dust off at the same time. Now you spray on the WD40 it helps with make your buggy shine and look like new and it helps take the little dirt and dust off the buggy that the simple green could not get off. Now you blow if off again with compressed air or a air compressure is because that will blow the WD40 off and the little bit of dirt that the simple green did not get off. Now when you are all done your buggy might feel a little grease that is what you want it is from the WD40, it will dry up and your buggy will be SHINEYYYYY. So there you go.
Thanks guys

What do you use for compressed air if can't get air compressor. Do they sell small batt driven ones etc....
Old 03-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

You guys are going to say I'm crazy but occassionally I pull the motor, Radio tray and tires off and throw the buggy and body in the dishwasher. Works great and is a major time saver. I tear it down so often and check/re-oil bearings that I have no problems.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

If I threw my buggy in the dishwasher,I would get strung up by my short hairs by the better half But not a bad idea.

I dont mind the few minutes to take it apart to clean.I use the Simple green/WD40 method and works great. Sounds like about the most common way from reading this thread.:tire
Old 03-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jammin&quot
If I threw my buggy in the dishwasher,I would get strung up by my short hairs by the better half But not a bad idea.

I dont mind the few minutes to take it apart to clean.I use the Simple green/WD40 method and works great. Sounds like about the most common way from reading this thread.:tire
Silly question again, what is simple green, i have not seen it here in my country. is it dish detergent?
Old 03-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Simple Green: http://consumer.simplegreen.com/index.php

I basically just use an air compressor and denatured alcohol and blow it all of and thats pretty much it. If theres hard to get areas I use one of those compressed air in the can.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dr_catman
Hi Guys,

new to 1/8 off roading. Quick naive question. How do you guys celan the dirt form the buggies? If it is wet mud do you let it dry first...etc...?

Any help much appreciated

Dr_Catman, congrats on the newbaby coming man !

cya,
Old 03-04-2007, 01:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Dr_Catman, congrats on the newbaby coming man !

cya,

Thanks Tabushi,

Baby boy already out
Old 03-04-2007, 03:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dr_catman
Thanks Tabushi,

Baby boy already out
congrats too. mine still on 12 weeks.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Having babies...yikes, I have a few years left, haha.

Simple green is unnecessary in my opinion. WD-40 and an old toothbrush will get everything completely clean with no use for anything else. Simple-Green can take so much attention to remove the water from EVERYTHING metal, chassis, hinge pins, bearings, gears, etc.

There are lots of other liquids and chemicals people use to clean their cars, but WD-40 is one that should not harm any plastic composites used in R/C. Some stuff, like denatured alcohol, can turn some plastics into mush.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I like to use compressed air as soon as I take my buggy off the track, the sooner the better. This is all I do. The Simple Green/WD-40 method does work well, however I find it impossible to blow-out all the liquid left behind when dowsing your buggy with them and if you dont let it dry-out completely before you hit the track again your left with a bigger mess, especially in areas like hinge-pins, ball-joints etc the dirt will get into those small nooks and crannys and create more problems in the long run. This is the reason people get binding problems in suspension and ball-joint areas.

Just my opinion
Old 03-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kylehirano
I like to use compressed air as soon as I take my buggy off the track, the sooner the better. This is all I do. The Simple Green/WD-40 method does work well, however I find it impossible to blow-out all the liquid left behind when dowsing your buggy with them and if you dont let it dry-out completely before you hit the track again your left with a bigger mess, especially in areas like hinge-pins, ball-joints etc the dirt will get into those small nooks and crannys and create more problems in the long run. This is the reason people get binding problems in suspension and ball-joint areas.

Just my opinion
WELL SAID
Old 03-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

2 parts Simple Green, 1 part denatured alcohol, and 1 cap of WD40. Shake well before use.