Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
4wd Buggy with ST tires?! >

4wd Buggy with ST tires?!

4wd Buggy with ST tires?!

Old 03-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default 4wd Buggy with ST tires?!

I have an academy sb sport. I played around with it and put on tires from my Losi truck. It looks and run pretty well. Has anyone done this too? I know I'm not a genius, and definitely not the first to try this. But I think it actually performs a bit better. At least for my backyard. Let me know what you think about the idea.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Just make sure you change the gearing for the bigger tyres

Cheers
Old 03-03-2007, 06:10 AM
Tech Regular

What would be the appropiate gearing for it?
Old 03-03-2007, 06:30 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I did that before using academy truck wheels or traxxas rear wheels, worked well to monster around, you just need to pay attention to the gearing. I would say if this is something you like, pickup a larger spur from mrc (I think the 74 tooth is the biggest that will fit, call and confirm).

It is also possible to see about doing a full truck conversion as well, Dave G did a concept of one on a thread here, generated lots of interest using parts from the gas truck on the V2 Pro.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:40 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks a lot Cain. ^_^ I'll look for the gear at my LHS, if they don't have it, then I'll call MRC.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Intotheblade
I have an academy sb sport. I played around with it and put on tires from my Losi truck. It looks and run pretty well. Has anyone done this too? I know I'm not a genius, and definitely not the first to try this. But I think it actually performs a bit better. At least for my backyard. Let me know what you think about the idea.
Great to hear its working for you... I decided to do the same with my kyosho lazer zx5 buggy and added a few more mods including an aluminum undertray and replaced the stock 7x spur with an 82 losi kevlar spur, thats the same one used on the stadium trucks... a little bit of dremeling on the chassis was necessary but not too much. the result is better gearing options, and the little truck is really fun to drive. Lots of traction and overall performs better on rutted soil or specially if it has small rocks. I would encourage anyone to try it, this is a must if you want to run in the 1/8 scale tracks as the little buggy tires (specially the fronts) just cant handle the road... little buggy was all jumpy now I can accelerate full power on brushless and its stable as a rock
Old 03-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Tech Regular

Haha thanks Rufus for your comment. Mine ran pretty well. I don't notice any changes in it's handling characteristics. But it definitely absorb the jumps a hell of a lot better. And I think the shaft drive system is well suited for the larger tires. I don't know if it's just the way I'm looking at it. But the buggy feels more responsive, and even accelerate faster. I don't know if that's entirely true. But it was definitely something notable when I drove mine.