Search

Buggy Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)
Default Buggy Questions

Hey guy's,

Well after taking some time off from the hobby I am thinking of getting back in. I am looking into 1/8 scale stuff (mainly because 1/10th truck is pretty weak in the Phoenix area.)

I am looking to build a kit and I am confused as to which buggy is the one I want.... There are to many choices and the prices are very wide spread to pull the trigger on anything. Everything I read on every single one of them is positive so that makes it tougher to make a choice.

I am looking at:

Mugen MBX5R (at the local level is the Pro Spec worth an extra $$$... I found a great deal on the non Pro Spec)
Jammin X1-CR
CEN Matrix Pro Factory Racing Edition
Ofna Hyper 8 Pro (does this now come as a complete kit or is it still being sold as 80 or 90 %... was confused with this)

The Kyosho and the Losi 8ight are both very nice rides, but a little steep for the wallet at this time... The 1/8th scale stuff will brake the bank alot quicker than the 1/10th scale stuff.

Also was looking into the truggies... All of the same makes/models as the buggies listed above, but the truggy version. I wanted the buggy but someone at one of our local tracks said that the buggy will eat through a set of tires in a heat race where as the truggy tires will last a few months? Is this true?

I think that is it for now.

Thanks
Dave
Old 02-26-2007, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i dont think there is a prospec verson of the MBX5R, there is the MBX5 prospec maybe thats what your thinking of?

tire wear depends on your track and what you need to run, where I race Crimefighters work good, and they will last half a season easy, but if you run something like switches or holeshots, they will wear out alot faster, i can't see them wearing out in one heat race thgouh, that seems a little much, you should be able to get a few race days out of any set of tires,

truggy is alot easier to drive then buggy, but I would get what you like, and what has the most support in your area, if you can race against 50 buggies, vs 10 truggies, you will have alot more fun with the buggy, and if in your area buggies are harder on tires, that would be offset by the truggy being harder on clutches, bearings, and body, so it all evens out, but in my experinces, buggies are easier on everything than truggy,

I have both the CEN matrix buggy, and I jsut got the truggy, I havn't had a chance to run the truggy yet, but I ran the buggy all last year, and was very happy with it, didn't break any parts in a whole season, and was faster with it than with the buggy i had the year before, and the truggy looks awsome, i can't wait to run it, the build was as good as any build i've done before, fit and finish was top knotch,
Old 02-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

All the buggies are good, with each having there own slight quirks. Nice thing is 1/8 scale is very durable for what you get.

I would say that CEN has a nice team and reasonably priced vehicles, and they are most helpful.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1/10 truck in phx is very popular, especially in elec. with the race that just finished this weekend and the nitor points series going on it has been a bit slow. now with that series ending this saturday you will see the electrics swell up as everyone gets ready for the Cactus Classic in three weeks.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

Jammin or Losi 8ight maybe?
Old 02-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

If you have a great deal lined up for the Mugen Prospec.

Jump on it! The Mugen is a very good buggy. I is very strong and easy to drive. You can get on the Mugen post on this site and ask what extras is good to have in your pit box and it will most likely be less then $10.00 of parts. (CVD pins and Carlinasrc.com Orings)

Mugen is very nice and easy to work on.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

look at what the other guys run and if you like it, get that. that way, you will have the support of the other racers with setup and spare parts in case you will need their assistance. also look at parts support. parts support is virtually non-existant for 1/8 buggies where i am, so i order online. for this reason, i could choose which buggy i liked the most of all the brands.

however, don't get the buggy that everybody else has if you don't like it. you are in RC as a hobby, and in a hobby you must have fun. therefore, get what you like the most, which one interests you, and which one you like the looks of the most. for the average Joe club racer, you will not notice the relatively small differences between today's 1/8 crowd of buggies.

nevertheless, i must say the X1 is a very nice rig.............
Old 02-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bobf24
i dont think there is a prospec verson of the MBX5R, there is the MBX5 prospec maybe thats what your thinking of?
Bob you need to get out from under that rock your living under up there in Canada. The Mugen MBX5R buggy kit released as a PROSPEC kit back in Sept-Oct of last year, it was ONLY offered as a PROSPEC kit when it released and is now also available in the regular MBX5R kit.

As kyracer stated the Mugen kits are very dependable and great kits to drive and easy to upkeep.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by macnkitty2002
you are in RC as a hobby, and in a hobby you must have fun. therefore, get what you like the most, which one interests you, and which one you like the looks of the most. for the average Joe club racer, you will not notice the relatively small differences between today's 1/8 crowd of buggies.

nevertheless, i must say the X1 is a very nice rig.............

I agree with macnkitty....well said
Old 02-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Tech Regular

If he is getting a RTR buggy they he will tell a difference. I had the Jammin RTR and it was really hard to drive. The Mugen MBX5 was much easier to drive and jumped much better.

The Sportwerks is a great RTR buggy and feels really good. They are bad to bend the Front CVD's.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kyracer
If he is getting a RTR buggy they he will tell a difference. I had the Jammin RTR and it was really hard to drive. The Mugen MBX5 was much easier to drive and jumped much better.

The Jammin RTR and the Jammin X1-CR Pro FTE are completly different to drive from each other.I would have to think that the MBX5 would be much different from the Jammin RTR as well.

If you go Jammin spend the couple extra $$$ on the FTE kit (Factory team Edition).Better shocks,towers,captured hing pins,etc.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

Wow, thanks for the replies guy's. I am not really looking for anything RTR. Luckily I have quality electronics already which leaves me a little more money for better equipment up front. I really like the Mugen Pro Spec, but the pro spec is alot of money for me right now. Is the Pro Spec really worth that much extra? I have read good and bad on just about any buggy out there, 1/8 scale parts are pretty easily found locally for most makers (From the looks of it, Jammin may be a little tougher to find locally, but that's what the internet is for.

I was dead set on a buggy until I heard that they eat a set of tires after every race... I didn't think that sounded practical, but you never know with R/C anymore.

So, now I am back to a buggy...

I think I have it narrowed down to the Hyper 8 Pro "kit" and the Mugen MBX5R. Again, my choices are based off of local support, parts locally, etc...)

What is the difference in the MBX5 and the MBX5R?

Thanks
Dave
Old 02-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Tech Regular

Dave, the new MBX5R is is a upgraded revision of Mugen's MBX5 that was very proven and dependable, this meaning it is even better! They made the shock towers taller and the shocks longer, reshaped their arms, beefed up all of their ball ends and connecting rods, improved the servo saver and made it very easy to adjust, and improved the coating and design of the shock bodies. This is just some of the key improvements that the "R" has over the old MBX5. I honestly feel you would be very impressed with the quality and fit of the Mugen MBX5R and extremly pleased with the performance and dependability of this kit. If you have any further questions or concerns feel free to drop in the MBX5 thread on here, or even PM me and I will try to help in anyway I can. I'll tell yourself as I tell all racers who ask this same question, "It's your money and your choice, do what makes you happy", but if you do choose Mugen I'll be glad to help in any way I can. Good Luck. -Ryan
Old 02-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Pssssssssssssst.... Dont listen to Ryan... he sold the best buggy he ever had to me!
Old 02-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

a main hobbies has a great deal on the mbx5 non pro, but it is a great deal for that nice of car $375.
just get the good engine mount and you have a real racer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.