Convergence of Designs of 4WD buggies?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Convergence of Designs of 4WD buggies?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 12:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Convergence of Designs of 4WD buggies?

Hi
I am shopping around for a 4WD 1/10 EP buggy. Almost ready to put my money down on a Lazer ZX5 with a KM conversion kit.

What I notice is that ALL the top buggies are Centre mounted motor, split battery pack. The difference is some are belt and some are shaft drive.

SO the question is do I go for an "older" kit like the Lazer (plus the KM kit = about $450 USD) or do I go for a "new" kit like the Tamiya TRF501X = $500 USD?

The Lazer comes with Diff and One way for the front and is more sorted. A couple of weak points but with option parts to fix.

What is weak on the Tamiya?
Should I wait a bit for the Hot Bodies Cuyclone D4?

What to do? The money is getting hot.

Jeff
Old 02-17-2007, 01:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well for me one major point is not to have a 4 whell drive off road car that is a t/c conversion from the manufacturer. especially any open type diff. set-ups. because of where you live the mrc might be the best bet due to parts support. if you want the best car the BJ4WE kit is by far the superior car. the tamiya is a tamiya( yes better but still tamiya) also it still has exposed diffs. thats alot of dirt for any diff. now though with so many 4wheels out, this year it will all be your preference, but parts avaliability is always a strong reason to buy any car.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by AzBobby
well for me one major point is not to have a 4 whell drive off road car that is a t/c conversion from the manufacturer.
Well thats going to be very difficult now isnt it as most current generation offroaders have some parts lifted from that manufacturers TC.

About the only one that doesnt is the Predator, so where does this leave everyone. As much as you have beasted the Tamiya it is a very well designed car (open diffs or not, and I race offroad in the UK in winter and have not had any major problems that I havent had with other cars) it is fast stable and easy to work on. Top car tamiya or not. I have seen a couple of drivers have real problems with the lazers transmission last year, Bj4 but here in the UK parts are an issue, Losi, plastic pig (xx4/xxx4)been around a long time, even though they go well over here they are just plain nasty to work on. X factory x6 posh plastic pig!!! Yokomo, nice car but very expensive.

I think that this boils down to 2 issues, how is your spares support??? and which one do you like, I would suggest getting to a local track and see if there are any drivers who will give you a go.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

what you should do is buy my car...it is exactly what youre looking for. A Lazer with the KM conversion. plus aluminum tower mounts, hingpin holders, front/rear cvd's, bunch of tires mounted, tons of extra parts, sellin for $300 OBO.

let me know if you want pics through PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Team Tekin

Look for parts support. I run the Yok. The Losi XX4 is a good car, a little long in the tooth for me though. The new Tamiya looks good. The Bj4 also is a great car, World Champ. AE parts are easy to find. The new Hot Bodies car looks to be a purple BJ4 which is good since they'll be priced lower I'm sure. But it's not out yet.

My Vote: BJ4we or the Yokomo. The new SP edition includes the oneway diff, and full spring kit for $530.

www.yokomousa.com
Old 02-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Since your in China I would think that Tamiya and Yokomo parts should be fairly easy to get since they aren't so far away. The Tamiya and the Yoke are both very good cars, although the Yoke is a bit more proven at this point. Although if you like a car with a lot of steering the ZX-5 will work good, since it has more weight to the front of the car due to the battery pack layout. The lazer might get "bucked" around a bit more over the rough stuff since the weight isn't as centralized as the Tamiya or the Yoke, but depending on how smooth your track is that might be ok.