Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Trinity B4 lightweight slipper plates >

Trinity B4 lightweight slipper plates

Trinity B4 lightweight slipper plates

Old 02-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Trinity B4 lightweight slipper plates

Are these any good? Any noticeable difference in performance?
Old 02-12-2007, 06:01 AM

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

I have ran the Trinity ones before, and they are good.

As far as noticing a difference goes....You probably would have to be a top driver to notice the difference of just having them. Now if you added lightweight outdrives and aluminum cvd's, along with the slipper plates, then the average person could probably tell the difference with a good stock motor.

You really would only want to do these mods if you are running stock class, and have great driving ability, cuz if you are in the pipes alot, then lightweight anything isn't gonna matter...Hope this helps...

Brad

Last edited by WYLDTHING; 02-12-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm looking at it this way. If slipper pad size/weight made a noticable difference, wouldn't the car manufacturers have designed their newer cars with smaller slipper pads and plates by now?
Old 02-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Rysuleod- You might think so, but making parts lighter generally requires more machining or different materials. Both of which add to the retail price of a kit, which for some markets (like the touring car market) is ok, but Associated/Losi probably reasoned that the gain would not be worth the increased cost and lower sales due to higher prices.

I've actually seen some people post pics of the Trinity plates and evidentally there is no actual weight gains. Some people even found them to be a gram heavier, I would think that they make be made of a more dense aluminum, or the coating on them is heavier than the coating AE puts on their slipper plates.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

I really dont see the point of shaving 5 grams off the car with those things, one bobble (blow the line off) during a run and its totally wasted.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by AndyMoore
I really dont see the point of shaving 5 grams off the car with those things, one bobble (blow the line off) during a run and its totally wasted.
But ...
You`ll look so kool doing it .....
Old 02-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

The best way to spend your money in this hobby is on running hard wear. Having a good battery management system, a well prepped motor, and a well set up car are going to be the only things that realy make a differance. If you have money to blow and speed to gain then gear your stocker about like you would gear a 19 turn mod. You will have a lot more punch and the motors lack top end torque so you will still go the same top end speed. It just creates more wear on the motor. If it is recommended that you run a 24 t pinion I would run a 20 t pinion.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
But ...
You`ll look so kool doing it .....

That would only be true if you were talking about blue shock collars or shock bushings, nothing else is visible on the track, haha.

party_wagon-Thats exactly right. Spend the money on making your stuff right.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Someone told me a long time ago that rotating mass has more weight than static mass. So it may be trivial to shave 1 gram on the actual weight of the car, but if it's rotating, it's an exponential gain to shave weight on those parts.

Make sense? So if this is the case, any lightweight parts that are rotating would help with stock class. Hence, lightweight pinion gears, slipper plates, outdrives, and top shafts. I would think that all those together would make a difference.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That is correct, rotating parts do affect the acceleration of the car more than static parts do. If I wanted to make lighter slipper plates I would probably just drill out the stock ones myself, lol. It would be easy enough, and since they are so light even if you did mess up and unbalance the plate a bit the vibration created would be negligable.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yes this is more in regards to rotating mass. not static weight loss. their is a noticeable enough of a difference for a good stock racer to feel it.

these theories from people well if there is a better way than the manufacturers would put it into their kits, is getting old. they are producing top quality kits that are very competitive at a reasonable cost to the consumer. if you put every single upgrade on a kit, it would cost you a little over a 100 bucks out of your pocket. which in a manufacturing sense is about 35 bucks but to the final kit cost would increase it about 70 to 80 bucks from what they are going for now. as well as there are some so called upgrades that actually are not better that what a kit comes with. others just make it easier to work on, or up keep with your car.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

Less rotating mass helps. But...

Then why don't we use smaller spur gears and smaller pinions? In almost everyclass, you see everyone using the biggest spurs they can. this is done because the more teeth you are meshing together, the more efficient the gears are. You get the added bonus of being able to handle more power that way too. Of course, lighter gears could help in stock. But with battery capacity as high as it is, this has thaken a back seat.

The lightweight slipper plates have a history dating into the 90's. I've run then, under the same idea that less rotating mass is better. But I've found that they just aren't durable. It's very time consuming to get them to hold the spur true. Not to mention what happens if they get whacked in a wreck.

You money would be better spent on a new pair of tires instead.